The inevitable sell out post

Good on Tom Waits for suing those advertisers who used sound-alikes to push their crap,

slightly off-topic... but I though it was quite funny when Pete Townshend pointed out that it might be a little hypocritical for Tom Waits to complain about someone trying to sound like him, when he's made a career out of trying to sound like Louis Armstrong....

... and I think Pete is a fan of Tom. There's even a track on the last Who album where Pete seems to be trying to sound like Tom.... maybe a little ironically??

• Replies 816
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Jeff has said before that he's being trying to write hits his whole life. They've put out singles and music videos. And he's consistently said that he really wants people to hear his music. This is why they release the music before selling it: because he wants people to hear the music even if they are not sure they want to buy the music. This is another way for people to hear their music, and for Wilco to get paid. They aren't as well off as you think. If they were they wouldn't have to tour the country/world constantly.

A lot of people on here, myself included, obviously don't care that the band allowed a corporation to buy their songs for commercials. Some people do. It's clear though that its not the bands problem to deal with; they are fine with it. If you have a problem with it, its yours to deal with, but don't expect everyone to think its a big deal.

I remember reading an interview with Jeff once where he was asked why they didn't make music videos and he replied that music videos just felt to him like commercials and that he'd rather just make a commercial. I guess this VDubs stuff brings them a little closer to that.

I like Wilco

Agreed.

I'm also pretty sure that jnickerson is Jay Bennet.

I think, to accuse a band that gives albums away before they're released, permits gigs to be recorded, webcasts for free shows on a regular basis, of selling out, is one of the most 'selfish', narrow minded things I've heard in a while....

Don't forget selling a double album (Being There) for the price of a single disc at their own expense AND getting dropped from their label for refusing to change thier art (Yankee Hotel Foxtrot) just to suit Reprise records' ideas of what would sell.

This doesn't sound like a band who would sell out.

Don't forget selling a double album (Being There) for the price of a single disc at their own expense AND getting dropped from their label for refusing to change thier art (Yankee Hotel Foxtrot) just to suit Reprise records' ideas of what would sell.

This doesn't sound like a band who would sell out.

Yet they sold themselves to an advertiser - no?

I just hope all this selling out will finally get me my dream.

a complete Wilco action figure set, with the loft. Free Mail order Tony w/ ear piece and cell phone w/ proof of purchase.

Also...a comic book starring the ex-members of Wilco; they had nothing better to do but form a Super-Hero team.

I just hope all this selling out will finally get me my dream.

a complete Wilco action figure set, with the loft. Free Mail order Tony w/ ear piece and cell phone w/ proof of purchase.

Also...a comic book starring the ex-members of Wilco; they had nothing better to do but form a Super-Hero team.

I'd buy that stuff :yay

But I couldn't afford it... I'd have to write a song and let a car company use it in a commercial first.

I'd buy that stuff :yay

But I couldn't afford it... I'd have to write a song and let a car company use it in a commercial first.

hmm...I may actually have to draw a cover to X-Wilco: Men of Adventure!

Doesn't the phrase "selling out" imply that the artist has somehow compromised himself, or his art? The decision to allow the music to be used ( in whatever form) resides with the creator of the music. If the artist is at peace with their decision, then all that is left is for the listener to make their own decision as to whether they want to listen (or not). It really is as simple as the old adage (which works for TV, radio, film, etc.) "if you don't like it turn the channel/put a different cd on/don't buy the product".

I personally find it more disturbing to have a songwriter conciously strive to create music that will appeal to 'the masses' than to take a piece of music that's already written & allow it to be used for a commercial concern. Money is a very powerful drug... but as long as things are kept in the proper perspective then what's the harm?

I don't know the man personally, but Jeff strikes me as someone whose priorities are straight & in good order. Therefore, I can only wish him the best in his endeavors.

Ronald Reagan used Bruce's Born in the USA...

although Neil's song This Note's For You does show us his opinion.

He didn't sign off on that usage - actually he spoke against it.

Tom Petty is another one - he has stated that he has turned downed millions by now to sell his songs to advertisers.

In today's media market, putting your music in a commercial is the equivalent of what a music video and radio used to be. It's the only way to get a mass audience to hear your music. I think it's a smart move. Hell, I wish the VW ads would say "Wilco" on them.

...Of course, I also wish "The Thanks I Get" would've been on SBS, and it would've been a top 10 hit. And I honestly wish Wilco were the biggest rock band in the world. I know others don't agree and I respect their reasons, but I think it would be a blast to see them in a giant arena with 20,000 people going crazy. As long as the music isn't compromised, it isn't selling out.

Bruce and Neil would never lower themselves or their music in this way. Shame on Wilco, for doing so.

both are terrible and Neil Young isn't even American.

edit: some people are taking this way too personally. it's a fucking car ad. it'll be here for a few months at best and then you can stop bitching about the moral integrity of people you don't know.

there was also outrage expressed at THIS 90210 appearance:

but then they went on to make some of the greatest music ever heard and appear again on Charmed. big deal. you guys are taking this way too seriously.