Good news for U2 fans..

Maybe they WILL make a good album again!

U2 working with Brian Eno again Thu Jun 7, 10:00 AM ET

U2 have been working on new material in Morocco with Brian Eno, they have revealed.

The group are understood to have been in Africa writing songs for the follow-up to 2004's How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb.

They have been joined by long-term collaborators Eno and Daniel Lanois, who have produced some of their most important recordings.

In an online posting, Bono explained how sessions were coming along. "We have no plans for the music yet. We're just going to make it until we can't not put it out!"

Meanwhile, Larry Mullen commented on U2's official website: "It's the first time we've worked with Brian and Dan in a purely songwriting capacity. So it's very different, quite experimental and kind of liberating because of that."

The last "original" piece of music released by U2 was "The Saints Are Coming," a cover of the Skids' classic with Green Day, which was produced by Rick Rubin.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Since no one else has yet, I figured I’d share my experience seeing U2 at the Sphere in Las Vegas last week. (I’m a little behind as I was traveling after the weekend and busy with catching up on work

Yep, they botched Staring At The Sun on the opening night of the PopMart Tour in 1997 and since then they have only played it acoustically. Stay (Faraway, So Close!) & Stuck In A Moment You Can’t

I enjoy the Monster record - but I was not a huge fan of the live show on the cd deluxe edition -- enjoyed the music on the live set, but I thought Stipe's vocals were off -- to much straining, from w

Posted Images

Maybe they WILL make a good album again!

U2 working with Brian Eno again Thu Jun 7, 10:00 AM ET

U2 have been working on new material in Morocco with Brian Eno, they have revealed.

The group are understood to have been in Africa writing songs for the follow-up to 2004's How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb.

They have been joined by long-term collaborators Eno and Daniel Lanois, who have produced some of their most important recordings.

In an online posting, Bono explained how sessions were coming along. "We have no plans for the music yet. We're just going to make it until we can't not put it out!"

Meanwhile, Larry Mullen commented on U2's official website: "It's the first time we've worked with Brian and Dan in a purely songwriting capacity. So it's very different, quite experimental and kind of liberating because of that."

The last "original" piece of music released by U2 was "The Saints Are Coming," a cover of the Skids' classic with Green Day, which was produced by Rick Rubin.

excellent.jpg

You know, this might be good.

I'm interested to see what Eno does with Coldplay as well...hopefully he's pushing both of these groups, because frankly their music is comfortable, boring, and bland right now.

yup.

don't get me wrong, i like both these bands, but their last releases were very subpar in my esteem.

parachutes remains one of my favorite albums...it was just way overexposed.

and i've been a casual fan of u2's since i was 8 (joshua tree).

For me, it's the three before that - The Unforgettable Fire/Joshua Tree/Rattle and Hum.

dont get me wrong, the 80s stuff is good. but it was awesome when they were pushing boundaries in the 90s. the last 2 are absolute trash, and ive pretty much lost any respect i mite have had for bono.

For me, it's the three before that - The Unforgettable Fire/Joshua Tree/Rattle and Hum.

Got to agree with these three, though I'm one who has loved U2 from the get go--even like the Saints song with Green Day.....really. :thumbup

I'll take War/The Unforgettable Fire/Joshua Tree, but it may be another 20 years before I can listen to the last one on account of all the times I played it 20 years ago.

Just like Bruce, Tom Petty and REM - the early U2 cds - Boy/October/War - sound like shit and really need to be re-mastered. Of course, I own them all so it would mean buying them again.

1980 Boy

1981 October

1983 War

1983 Under a Blood Red Sky

1984 The Unforgettable Fire

1985 Wide Awake in America [EP]

1987 The Joshua Tree

1988 Rattle and Hum

1991 Achtung Baby

1993 Zooropa

1995 Original Soundtracks No. 1 [Passengers]

1997 Pop

2000 All That You Can't Leave Behind

2004 How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb

Oh, I know. What are they waiting for on the remasters anyway? Hillary Clinton's inauguration?

My youngest son just bought Boy today (big U2 fan). I haven't heard it in a while and it sounded a bit dated though still for its time completely original in lyrics and that guitar.

We've had this talk before - I think my early Tom Petty and U2 cds have advertisements for other cds inside them/generic album cover art on the back and spine. That shows how old they are.

I have Boy---->The Joshua Tree on vinyl.

I think I am the other way around on that statement also - I thin Bono spends all his time on political matters these days - and very little time on lyrics. Maybe things will be different on this new one. I wish they would get back to writing more political type songs, actually. I loathe Pop/Zooropa - but I do rather like that song Please.

I loathe Pop/Zooropa - but I do rather like that song Please.

I've just never understood the hate for these albums. Its totally unjustified. Zooropa, Dirty Day, The Wanderer, Please, Do You Feel Loved, Discotheque, Gone, Last Night On Earth, Mofo...all among their best work. And I hate the fact that they refuse to play ANY of it live.

Their attitude was different back then too. Sure, they dated supermodels, put on stage shows that almost bankrupt them, used alteregos, and wore outrageous clothes, but the whole point was that it was IRONIC. Now, they've totally lost sight of that and actually become what they used to poke fun at.

I've just never understood the hate for these albums. Its totally unjustified. Zooropa, Dirty Day, The Wanderer, Please, Do You Feel Loved, Discotheque, Gone, Last Night On Earth, Mofo...all among their best work. And I hate the fact that they refuse to play ANY of it live.

Their attitude was different back then too. Sure, they dated supermodels, put on stage shows that almost bankrupt them, used alteregos, and wore outrageous clothes, but the whole point was that it was IRONIC. Now, they've totally lost sight of that and actually become what they used to poke fun at.

Well, even Larry says Pop was rushed and unfinished or some such thing. I see what your saying though. Maybe it's just one of those deals - like REM - when a band moves away from the sound/lyrics you love, some people get upset. I am one of those people most likely.

I'll take War/The Unforgettable Fire/Joshua Tree

Yep. Unforgettable Fire is my favorite.

Not sure, but I think Joshua Tree might have been the last vinyl record I bought (for new releases, I mean). I never bought anything on CD from them.

Kind of off-topic here, but one of my favorite 'funny' Phish moments is on their first record (Junta). During Icculus Trey is talking, setting up the story :stunned , and he sez, "This is.. this is...THIS IS RED ROCKS!!! THIS IS THE EDGE!!!" That always cracks me up.

Under A Blood Red Sky was the first one I ever got - back in the day. It's a trip to watch that concert and then watch Rattle and Hum.

I like Seconds and also, Drowning Man.

Two Hearts Beat As One - probably the first U2 song I ever heard.