Good news for U2 fans..

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Since no one else has yet, I figured I’d share my experience seeing U2 at the Sphere in Las Vegas last week. (I’m a little behind as I was traveling after the weekend and busy with catching up on work

Yep, they botched Staring At The Sun on the opening night of the PopMart Tour in 1997 and since then they have only played it acoustically. Stay (Faraway, So Close!) & Stuck In A Moment You Can’t

I enjoy the Monster record - but I was not a huge fan of the live show on the cd deluxe edition -- enjoyed the music on the live set, but I thought Stipe's vocals were off -- to much straining, from w

Posted Images

I saw this movie last night - it was massive in every sense. The 3D aspect was surreal - the 'Vertigo' opener made me think (not that I could actually formulate a thought at the time) that this is what entertainment will be like in the future. Bono reaching his stubby fingers into my face almost made up for my never having seen the band live in concert (every tour for 20 years now I've said 'this is the one!' but - oh well, not yet). The sound was light years beyond any concert/club/home stereo experience I've ever had. Loud, thudding, piercing, overwhelming, but without a even a hint of ringing in my ears afterward. It was perfect sound. And once the 3D gimmick wore off to become normal, the passion of the music and the crowd took over. The only thing I wanted more of was crowd shots - this IMAX/3Dtechnology is for watching people, not whales! - I truly almost felt like I was there. Can't recommend this enough, if you get a chance.

i absolutely adored it myself :wub

can't wait to go again

I like IMAX and I like dimensions, but I don't like U2. should i see this?

if you hate them, well then it'd be tough to sit through. if you like some songs i'd say go see it, it's wicked no matter the band imo.

tough call, i have no desire to see a real U2 concert, but the setlist seems ok enough. this is what the lips UFOs at the Zoo movie should have been. what are the odds this is a trend-starter for other bands? I can't really think of any Wilco gimmicks for the medium besides Pat's windmills.

• 4 weeks later...
U2 Hits The Studio In Dublin

U2

February 19, 2008, 10:45 AM ET

Jonathan Cohen, N.Y.

U2 has hit the studio in Dublin to continue work on its next studio album with longtime collaborators Brian Eno and Daniel Lanois. "We're going to try and break new sonic ground and deliver a masterpiece," Lanois tells Billboard.com. "The sleeves are rolled up. Bono is all charged up with a lyrical angle."

As previously reported, U2, Eno and Lanois have spent time working on new material on three prior occasions in France and Morocco, and Lanois confirms the results are prolific.

"There's so much material," he says, referring to speculation that the sessions could yield two new albums. "When you get Eno and I and those guys in the room, before lunch there's like eight things."

"We've had some exciting beginnings via jam sessions," he continues. "Now we will pick our favorite beginnings and say, 'OK, that's a lovely springboard. Now what are we trying to say?' The springboards are sometimes melodic, sometimes riff-based, but I can assure you they are exciting."

There's no date yet for the project, which will be the follow-up to 2004's "How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb."

In other U2 news, the group has contributed to a new charity single, "The Ballad of Ronnie Drew," proceeds from which will benefit the cancer-stricken Irish artist of the same name. The track will be available in Ireland only as a download beginning Friday (Feb. 22) and week later on CD.

In addition to U2, "The Ballad of Ronnie Drew" features appearances by the Pogues' Shane MacGowan, the Frames' Glen Hansard, Sinead O'Connor, Andrea Corr, Damien Dempsey, Ronan Keating, Chris de Burgh, Gavin Friday and members of the Dubliners.

We're getting the 3D movie at our theater and we're in a tiny town and only have 8 screens. I'm not a huge U2 fan but I might check it out since I can mosey in and watch it alone for free. I watched Hannah Montana's 3D concert with my daughter recently, nothing special, of course. I'm curious to see if the U2 movie is much neater. Surely, it will be.

• 1 month later...
U2 Returns To Studio, Preps Early Reissues

April 09, 2008, 10:20 AM ET

Jonathan Cohen, N.Y.

After an Easter break, U2 is back in the studio in Dublin to work on its next album with producers Brian Eno and Daniel Lanois. "Everyone [is] still hoping the new album will be out this year," reads a post on U2.com.

The as-yet-untitled disc will be followed by a 2009 tour, U2's first since recently cementing a 12-year deal with Live Nation Artists.

In other U2 news, Universal has set a July 22 release for remastered, expanded editions of the band's first three albums: "Boy" (1980), "October" (1981) and "War" (1983).

Guitarist the Edge is overseeing the reissues, which will include the original album on a single-disc, 180-gram vinyl and in a two-CD package featuring B-sides, rare tracks and live material.

The reissue program began last fall with "The Joshua Tree," which featured a previously unreleased video for "Red Hill Mining Town" and a host of other rarities.

that's great.

did anyone pick up the Joshua Tree deluxe edition?

if so, were you pleased?

that would be cool if they did like Talking Heads and made them dualdiscs with the videos of the era on there.

(of course i'm still dumbfounded why the video for Once in a Lifetime was not on Remain in Light's dualdisc!)

• 4 months later...
U2 Tracks Leak After Bono Plays Stereo Too Loudly

Written by enigmax on August 16, 2008

U2 manager Paul McGuinness, who wants file-sharers to be disconnected from the Internet, has something else to complain about today. Four songs from U2

Considering how much they've hyped the fact that the recording process has been so different, and that they've been drawing from a wider range of influences, I'll be disappointed if this album sounds similar to the last two. I liked How to Dismantle An Atomic Bomb, but All That You Can't Leave Behind is my least favorite U2 album. I actually stopped listening to them for awhile because I hated it so much. I think the days of U2 being my favorite band have passed, but I still have high expectations for them, because I think they're capable of at least one more brilliant album. Unfortunately, their last few haven't been even close.

I also think it's hilarious that Bono is to blame for these tracks leaking. He can singlehandedly save Africa from poverty, but he can't keep a lid on his own album before it's released.

Honestly, they say very similar stuff leading up to every recent album release.

It also seems like U2 tracks always leak in some similar manner. This may because of the sheer number and intensity of U2 fans, or it may be because the band or their management,has something to do with all the leaks.

I think that is right - much like The Apple Scrufs, there are those who camp out around various U2 spots. I watched a video once of some Spanish fans who were camped out around their place in Dublin - Bono and The Edge talked to them for quite some time.

Honestly, they say very similar stuff leading up to every recent album release.

It also seems like U2 tracks always leak in some similar manner. This may because of the sheer number and intensity of U2 fans or it may be because the band or their management has something to do with all the leaks.

Yes and yes.

Someone involved in HTDAAB said leading up to the release that it was U2 going back to its roots. Pfft. I like the album, but it's nothing like Boy (Bono even said they thought about calling it Man).

And good second point Jorge - remember the leak of Vertigo (?) - supposedly recorded by a fan hanging from the roof above the mixing board...

This happens with every album. The last album, horrible sounding clips popped out from Bono's beach house as they were playing the album loud for the REM boys, who they were hosting.

I don't think it's deliberate or a marketing strategy, I just think Bono doesn't care. There is a distinction between U2's management and the actual band members, who have often come out in support of file sharing.

Bono has been known to pick up fans hanging outside the studio (either inviting them into the studio or driving them back to town), and play new recordings for them...or just open up the studio doors so they can hear.

All that being said, there doesn't seem to be the normal "Bono-hype" thing going on with this album as in the past. There have been a few comments from producers and it has a feeling like they might spring something special on us, after a few missteps.