• Please log in to reply
1298 replies to this topic

#41 rareair

rareair

I'm Always in Love

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,484 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 12:29 PM

It's become my favorite in just the past few years - for a long time I thought it was over-inflated wannabe stuff. It's aged remarkably well.

i watched it on vh1 classic last week for the first time since i saw it in the theater. amazed at how enjoyable it was.

Bad remains my favorite U2 song.

and the u2 3D is playing at the local imax :dancing

#42 Analogman

Analogman

All the Way Back in the Seventies

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 46,032 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 12:34 PM

I'd say the way this film is presented will limit the amount of theaters it will be shown in. I saw a poster for it at out newest theater here - but I'd say that is because it is a digital only theater.

#43 solace

solace

meh.

• 18,570 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 01:01 PM

it's playing at the Zoo's Imax here in the Twin Cities. we're gonna give away 30 tickets starting later today :D

#44 Three dollars and 63 cents

Three dollars and 63 cents

Hummingbird

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 02:46 PM

There's a theater capable of showing U2 3D about an hour away from me in Syracuse, and I'm really disappointed that so far they're not scheduled to show it. I've been looking forward to seeing it since the time it was recorded. There was such a magic and an energy to those South American shows, probably in part because U2 had skipped South America on the Elevation Tour and in part just because of how well the band was playing together by that point in the tour. I've got probably at least half of the recordings from the tour, and there aren't many that can match the energy of those shows. I really wish they would've waited until later in the tour to record a show for DVD release, because I don't think the Chicago DVD really represents as good as the tour got. Hopefully if the movie does well in the first few weeks it will be released more widely.

#45 jcroach

jcroach

I Miss the Innocence

• PipPipPipPip
  • 934 posts

Posted 22 January 2008 - 01:13 PM

I'm planning on see that U2 3D film next weekend. It's playing at the Indiana State Museum IMAX. I drove by on Friday and they have a huge (2 story +) banner advertising the film. What's the likelihood I can get that in my car.................

I didn't get to see any of the dates on the Vertigo tour so I'm really looking forward to this!

#46 Sir Stewart

Sir Stewart

anime mega-robot

• 35,138 posts

Posted 26 January 2008 - 08:33 AM

I saw this movie last night - it was massive in every sense. The 3D aspect was surreal - the 'Vertigo' opener made me think (not that I could actually formulate a thought at the time) that this is what entertainment will be like in the future. Bono reaching his stubby fingers into my face almost made up for my never having seen the band live in concert (every tour for 20 years now I've said 'this is the one!' but - oh well, not yet). The sound was light years beyond any concert/club/home stereo experience I've ever had. Loud, thudding, piercing, overwhelming, but without a even a hint of ringing in my ears afterward. It was perfect sound. And once the 3D gimmick wore off to become normal, the passion of the music and the crowd took over. The only thing I wanted more of was crowd shots - this IMAX/3Dtechnology is for watching people, not whales! - I truly almost felt like I was there. Can't recommend this enough, if you get a chance.

#47 Beltmann

Beltmann

On & On & On

• Admin
  • 7,042 posts

Posted 26 January 2008 - 09:47 AM

I saw this movie last night - it was massive in every sense. The 3D aspect was surreal - the 'Vertigo' opener made me think (not that I could actually formulate a thought at the time) that this is what entertainment will be like in the future. Bono reaching his stubby fingers into my face almost made up for my never having seen the band live in concert (every tour for 20 years now I've said 'this is the one!' but - oh well, not yet). The sound was light years beyond any concert/club/home stereo experience I've ever had. Loud, thudding, piercing, overwhelming, but without a even a hint of ringing in my ears afterward. It was perfect sound. And once the 3D gimmick wore off to become normal, the passion of the music and the crowd took over. The only thing I wanted more of was crowd shots - this IMAX/3Dtechnology is for watching people, not whales! - I truly almost felt like I was there. Can't recommend this enough, if you get a chance.

That is exactly what I wanted to hear.

#48 OOO

OOO

On & On & On

• 6,776 posts

Posted 26 January 2008 - 10:18 AM

I have tickets to see this tonight...in a remote field in lincolnshire, no less :dancing

#49 Three dollars and 63 cents

Hummingbird

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 26 January 2008 - 10:23 AM

I've heard nothing but absolutely glowing reviews of this. I may just get desperate enough to drive up to Rochester to see it when it opens there in a few weeks.

#50 OOO

OOO

On & On & On

• 6,776 posts

Posted 26 January 2008 - 06:42 PM

Go see this.

#51 Three dollars and 63 cents

Hummingbird

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 26 January 2008 - 07:59 PM

Excellent. I found out it's going to show in Syracuse after all. That's the closest digital 3D theater to me, only about an hour. I'll go see it the Saturday after it opens, then I'll get Wilco on the following Saturday. My two favorite bands in one week :w00t

#52 solace

solace

meh.

• 18,570 posts

Posted 26 January 2008 - 09:54 PM

i absolutely adored it myself :wub

can't wait to go again

#53 tongue-tied

tongue-tied

I Must Be high

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,920 posts

Posted 26 January 2008 - 10:01 PM

I like IMAX and I like dimensions, but I don't like U2. should i see this?

#54 solace

solace

meh.

• 18,570 posts

Posted 26 January 2008 - 10:14 PM

I like IMAX and I like dimensions, but I don't like U2. should i see this?

if you hate them, well then it'd be tough to sit through. if you like some songs i'd say go see it, it's wicked no matter the band imo.

#55 tongue-tied

tongue-tied

I Must Be high

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,920 posts

Posted 26 January 2008 - 10:27 PM

tough call, i have no desire to see a real U2 concert, but the setlist seems ok enough. this is what the lips UFOs at the Zoo movie should have been. what are the odds this is a trend-starter for other bands? I can't really think of any Wilco gimmicks for the medium besides Pat's windmills.

#56 renic

renic

Buried in sound

• 4,887 posts

Posted 26 January 2008 - 11:20 PM

I have tickets to see this tonight...in a remote field in lincolnshire, no less :dancing

did you get ice cream @ maggie moo's?

#57 OOO

OOO

On & On & On

• 6,776 posts

Posted 26 January 2008 - 11:27 PM

did you get ice cream @ maggie moo's?

I got a beer at champps, actually :stunned

#58 Analogman

Analogman

• 46,032 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 01:57 PM

U2 Hits The Studio In Dublin
U2
February 19, 2008, 10:45 AM ET
Jonathan Cohen, N.Y.

U2 has hit the studio in Dublin to continue work on its next studio album with longtime collaborators Brian Eno and Daniel Lanois. "We're going to try and break new sonic ground and deliver a masterpiece," Lanois tells Billboard.com. "The sleeves are rolled up. Bono is all charged up with a lyrical angle."

As previously reported, U2, Eno and Lanois have spent time working on new material on three prior occasions in France and Morocco, and Lanois confirms the results are prolific.

"There's so much material," he says, referring to speculation that the sessions could yield two new albums. "When you get Eno and I and those guys in the room, before lunch there's like eight things."

"We've had some exciting beginnings via jam sessions," he continues. "Now we will pick our favorite beginnings and say, 'OK, that's a lovely springboard. Now what are we trying to say?' The springboards are sometimes melodic, sometimes riff-based, but I can assure you they are exciting."

There's no date yet for the project, which will be the follow-up to 2004's "How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb."

In other U2 news, the group has contributed to a new charity single, "The Ballad of Ronnie Drew," proceeds from which will benefit the cancer-stricken Irish artist of the same name. The track will be available in Ireland only as a download beginning Friday (Feb. 22) and week later on CD.

In addition to U2, "The Ballad of Ronnie Drew" features appearances by the Pogues' Shane MacGowan, the Frames' Glen Hansard, Sinead O'Connor, Andrea Corr, Damien Dempsey, Ronan Keating, Chris de Burgh, Gavin Friday and members of the Dubliners.

#59 yermom

yermom

I Must Be high

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,910 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 02:52 PM

We're getting the 3D movie at our theater and we're in a tiny town and only have 8 screens. I'm not a huge U2 fan but I might check it out since I can mosey in and watch it alone for free. I watched Hannah Montana's 3D concert with my daughter recently, nothing special, of course. I'm curious to see if the U2 movie is much neater. Surely, it will be.

#60 Analogman

Analogman

• 46,032 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 10:17 AM

U2 Returns To Studio, Preps Early Reissues
April 09, 2008, 10:20 AM ET
Jonathan Cohen, N.Y.

After an Easter break, U2 is back in the studio in Dublin to work on its next album with producers Brian Eno and Daniel Lanois. "Everyone [is] still hoping the new album will be out this year," reads a post on U2.com.

The as-yet-untitled disc will be followed by a 2009 tour, U2's first since recently cementing a 12-year deal with Live Nation Artists.

In other U2 news, Universal has set a July 22 release for remastered, expanded editions of the band's first three albums: "Boy" (1980), "October" (1981) and "War" (1983).

Guitarist the Edge is overseeing the reissues, which will include the original album on a single-disc, 180-gram vinyl and in a two-CD package featuring B-sides, rare tracks and live material.

The reissue program began last fall with "The Joshua Tree," which featured a previously unreleased video for "Red Hill Mining Town" and a host of other rarities.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users