Good news for U2 fans..

i thougth there were moments of brilliance on ATYCLB, at least musically. atomic bomb left me a little meh. see where you are coming from though, kyle. i'm not as spastic about this as i once would have been.

I am skeptical about this album until I hear it. It's always the same hype about how this is the best album ever or something truly different when in reality the last 2 albums were so-so and shite (as in "How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb"). I don't know if anyone would agree but it seems like Bono's voice has got weaker and weaker over time while his lyrics have become terrible in places. The fact is that while there has been always an interplay between big business and high art with U2 that after "Pop" the band are still clearly only in it for the money and as a reason for Bono to pretend he's a cross between a preacher and presidential candidate on stage. They now have the formula down pat. Release the record in November to try and sell it over two Xmases and fill as many sheds and arenas as you can in between. Oh and make sure the only way to get the best seats is to pay $40 a year to a externally operated website. With the signing of the deal with Live Nation earlier this year U2 have become the Rolling Stones of their generation. An act who really only release new music in order to go on extremely lucrative tours. Oh, I know that some people will feel like their tkts are reasonably priced relative to the band's appeal but as anyone who has been to a "Live Nation" will attest it's the parking/beer/water/t-shirts you really get gouged on. That said, I will take it all back if they release a good to great album this fall.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Since no one else has yet, I figured I’d share my experience seeing U2 at the Sphere in Las Vegas last week. (I’m a little behind as I was traveling after the weekend and busy with catching up on work

Yep, they botched Staring At The Sun on the opening night of the PopMart Tour in 1997 and since then they have only played it acoustically. Stay (Faraway, So Close!) & Stuck In A Moment You Can’t

I enjoy the Monster record - but I was not a huge fan of the live show on the cd deluxe edition -- enjoyed the music on the live set, but I thought Stipe's vocals were off -- to much straining, from w

Posted Images

When is "The Unforgettable Fire" getting this kind of treatment?

That Live Nation deal worries me, and I admit I've been coughing up the money for the fan club the last few years solely in the hopes that they dole out presale codes based on when you joined (to outsmart all the scalpers who join at the last minute). I worry they're going to do away with the relatively cheap GA tickets for the next tour and replace them with $200+ floor seats. If that's the case, I'm likely done going to U2 shows. Say what you will about the last few albums, U2 still puts on a great show.

I actually think HTDAAB was better than ATYCLB. It was more of a cohesive whole, and I liked that it was a harder rocking album. City of Blinding Lights translated especially well live. I think I've listened to ATYCLB in its entirety maybe four or five times, that's how much I hate most of the second half of the album. Beautiful Day feels like pop overkill to me, and Elevation is simply annoying. My favorite track from the album is actually In A Little While, which I've found most U2 fans hate. They hardly play it anymore, though, because Bono can't really hit the falsetto reliably anymore (though he did shock me by nailing Pavarotti's opera portion of Miss Sarajevo on the Vertigo tour).

Like I said, I think U2 is capable of at least one more brilliant album, but that's not to say they'll ever make it. They're going to have to toss charity and commerce aside for awhile and fully immerse themselves in the music again, and even then, who knows. They were the band I loved in my teens and early twenties, and I think they'll be a band I always go back to, even if they've already peaked.

i don't know that i really need to hear those, crappy audio and all...but i'd be interested to hear from someone who has on how they sound.

Finally got them and listening now. Sound quality is as to be expected--on a cell phone with waves and talking over it. What I hear of the songs doesn't sound too damning or promising.

My favorite track from the album is actually In A Little While, which I've found most U2 fans hate.

Why is that? I've encountered that feeling amongst U2 fans, too, and I don't understand it. I think it's a great song.

I'm certainly interested in the new album, but count me as someone who was so thoroughly disappointed with Atomic Bomb that my level of interest has waned.

while i will reserve final judgment until i hear the proper studio versions, at least two of the clips sound like potential classics (i am talking clips 1 and 4 for those who have listened).

clip 1 has an unconventional chorus sung by what sounds like three or four people (probably Eno and Lanois joining Bono and Edge) and ends with a beautiful 2 minute guitar solo

clip 4 has a majestic, Unforgettable Fire feel to it...nice atmosphere and a really cool guitar sound. definitely a darker, meloncholy feel to this one, at least more so than what was on the last two albums.

• 2 weeks later...

Call me crazy, but I thought it was going to be different this time. There was no Bono-ism cliques this time around. They got down to business and we heard nothing until the album was "Finished" or "in-the-can"--this was promising. Word spread via producers that the album was complete (as we all know to take what the band members say about release dates with a grain of salt)...Call me a sucker.

Today from U2.com:

'We want 2009 to be our year'

'We

The fact that their last two albums were released in late fall and their last two tours started the following March made me worry that they were going to fall into a formula. The three new remasters and (it's about damned time) release of Under A Blood Red Sky on DVD will be enough to hold me over awhile longer. I know a lot of people are itching for a new U2 album, but I'm glad to wait if it means a better album. I think U2 is still capable of much more than their last two albums showed us, so I'm cautiously optimistic that they're thinking of what they're doing now as another sort of reinvention. Frankly, I think they need it.

I've heard rumblings about their longtime sound technician Joe O'Herlihey working on some sort of "3D" sound system for their next tour. I have no idea what that could mean exactly, but I'm curious. I have a hunch they'll tour stadiums next summer, and I'll be interested to see if they pull out all the stops like they did for Popmart, or if it will be a smaller scale affair like they had for the last two tours.

I generally think Bono is full of shit when talking about upcoming albums. :lol

Good to see he's making progress with that low self-esteem thing.

I generally think Bono is full of shit when talking about upcoming albums. :lol

I would agree. But then again artists usually arent their best critics, and certainly not when they're still in the creative stage. I mean, whens the last time you read an interview about an upcoming album where the lead singer said "Whoo boy, this ones gonna suck even worse than our last! We really failed to live up to every single one of our expectations in this session."

• 3 months later...
the only u2 albums ive been a huge fan of was their 90's trifecta (achtung/zooropa/pop).

Finally someone that has the same vision of U2. Sureshot I agree with everything you've said in this thread. Thought I saw a Zooropa show (with the Velvet Underground opening) and a Popmart show and I prefered the first one. I loved the dancing Trabants, McPhisto and all that shit.

A long ago I used to look at they way they do things with some sort of mysticism. Now I'm just so like, "Get on with it." It shouldn't take a band years and years and millions of dollars spent to do an album.

I guess one amazing thing about them is that you have to hand it to them; they don't give up. Frankly I would be bored to death to be in a band like that, I wouldn't have the patience. And I'm a patient man...