Going to Chicago....what to do, see, stay, etc.

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the music is the only good thing about this place. the food and beer are way overpriced, and the quality of service leaves a lot to be desired.

I don't remember the food being outrageously expensive, but then again I'm sorta used to that around here. The burger was great though.

Our waitress was pretty damn awesome, but the girl working the door/seating people was apparently a major pain in the ass. I didn't deal with her at all, but she was acting like an asshole towards someone in my group and then just sorta walked out.

I have suggested Cooper's on Belmont west of Racine here before. We eat there fairly often; great "gourmet" bar food and lots and lots of bottled beer from around the world....

Im heading in on the 27th and staying till the 2nd. Catching Kings of Leon on Halloween. I will have just finished 2 months in Southeast Asia and I can't wait for Chicago, though I need someone to guide me to a good bar. Who wants to meet up?

I want to hear about southeast Asia. Plenty of good bars in Chicago, in fact you can drink every day of your life and not hit them all. Which neighborhood are you staying in and I am sure some of his can direct you places nearby. Actually just about any corner tavern in Chicago will be interesting.

LouieB

I'm no Chicago expert by any means, but I strongly recommend anyone visiting to get a burger at Kuma's Corner (on W. Belmont) if you have the chance. It probably helps if you have an appreciation for all things METAL as the burgers are named after metal bands, but honestly it's so good that doesn't even matter. And I guess they blast metal over the speakers most of the time, but I sat on the patio where it was nice and quiet (and cool).

ORLY-1.jpg

I want to hear about southeast Asia. Plenty of good bars in Chicago, in fact you can drink every day of your life and not hit them all. Which neighborhood are you staying in and I am sure some of his can direct you places nearby. Actually just about any corner tavern in Chicago will be interesting.

LouieB

bingo :thumbup

LouieB

That sounds excellent. I am staying at the chicago international hostel near loyola university i believe, for two nights. but then moving to the H.I. Chicago in the loop. I have limited internet access right now in Hong Kong so ill be able to really pick through this thread once i get in. I have hours of stories for those interested. and a beat up travel guitar for some wilco tunes.

That sounds excellent. I am staying at the chicago international hostel near loyola university i believe, for two nights. but then moving to the H.I. Chicago in the loop. I have limited internet access right now in Hong Kong so ill be able to really pick through this thread once i get in. I have hours of stories for those interested. and a beat up travel guitar for some wilco tunes.

I live not far from Loyola. There are some good bars up that way. My old favorite is Cuneen's on Devon, about three blocks from Loyola. They play CDs in there rather than have a juke box. Hamilton's used to be a great old dirt bar, but was rehabbed and still an okay place to drink. Actually right across the street from the Loyola campus on Sheridan, north of Devon is a package store that has a bar right next door which is an old timers bar (lots of young people there though) that could be a real hoot if you just want a beer and the feel of the neighborhood. Someone here may remember the name (it has someone's name I think). It's a really fun little place and has a bit of an edge. The Red Line Tap on Lunt next to the Heartland Cafe is a place to go. Parts of East Rogers Park can be rough so watch yourself. Down Broadway are plenty of places in Edgewater. Actually the hostel is in Edgewater so check stuff out around there. Many of the bars on Granville are now closed sadly (there is still a gay bar near Broadway on Grandville if you are so inclined.)

Someone else will have to comment about places near the Loop hostel, but there are plenty of places in the south Loop at this point, since that is a student area around Roosevelt, Columbia, DePaul. Most will be more touristy than corner.

LouieB

Actually right across the street from the Loyola campus on Sheridan, north of Devon is a package store that has a bar right next door which is an old timers bar (lots of young people there though) that could be a real hoot if you just want a beer and the feel of the neighborhood. Someone here may remember the name (it has someone's name I think).

LouieB

Bruno and Tim's. Yes this place is awesome.

1. I am obsessed with SE Asia and am dying to travel there!

2. I live within sight of your first hostel. As LouieB mentioned, there is Hamilton's. But beware: that's where all the Loyola freshman with fake IDs go. Bruno's is my favorite favorite favorite local bar (that's what LouieB referenced as the packaged goods store) and is a little north of the hostel at Sheridan & Loyola Ave. A few blocks further north of that (Sheridan & Columbia) is the Oasis. Kinda divey and Loyola students who are of-age hang out there a lot. They have dart boards and pool tables and stuff. Down at Broadway and Thorndale is Old St Andrew's, and also Moody's Pub. Both serve food. A little closer to the hostel at Broadway and Granville is the Sovereign (another extremely-locals bar) and the Pumping Company. P-Co has all the sports tv packages, a weekend brunch, and both a decent selection of good beers and specials for those who are on more of a college budget (think: $4 pitchers of Busch Light.) If you want a good meal (not bar food) and some nice microbrews, check out Uncommon Ground at Devon & Glenwood, a few blocks west of the hostel.

Bruno and Tim's. Yes this place is awesome.
Thanks....I was in this place just a few months back and I swear it was the same as when I went in there in 1972 when it looked like it had not changed since 1950.
1. I am obsessed with SE Asia and am dying to travel there!

2. I live within sight of your first hostel. As LouieB mentioned, there is Hamilton's. But beware: that's where all the Loyola freshman with fake IDs go. Bruno's is my favorite favorite favorite local bar (that's what LouieB referenced as the packaged goods store) and is a little north of the hostel at Sheridan & Loyola Ave. A few blocks further north of that (Sheridan & Columbia) is the Oasis. Kinda divey and Loyola students who are of-age hang out there a lot. They have dart boards and pool tables and stuff. Down at Broadway and Thorndale is Old St Andrew's, and also Moody's Pub. Both serve food. A little closer to the hostel at Broadway and Granville is the Sovereign (another extremely-locals bar) and the Pumping Company. P-Co has all the sports tv packages, a weekend brunch, and both a decent selection of good beers and specials for those who are on more of a college budget (think: $4 pitchers of Busch Light.) If you want a good meal (not bar food) and some nice microbrews, check out Uncommon Ground at Devon & Glenwood, a few blocks west of the hostel.

Thanks for the extra bar input. For food there is all kinds of great food along this strip and in this area. Ask the locals for other suggestions as well. Uncommon Ground is just a block from Cuneens and is the northern branch of the club/restaurant of the same name by Wrigleyville. Music is allegedly played there. Oh, since you were just in SE Asia..not sure what part; remember the Vietnamese/ Chinese/Thai area near Aryle street (just about a mile from where you will be)is small by comparision to area you were in, but has some of the same people.

LouieB

Meanwhile, far away in another part of town...

I had business down on the southside (where I am alot) today and took some advice from the Reader regarding southern cooking and made a visit to Morrison's on South Ashland in the Auburn/Gresham neighborhood. I ordered the most expensive thing on the menu, short ribs which was 13 bucks and had an absolutely incredible, if belly busting meal. Most full meals are seven and a half bucks and include some sort of meat/poultry, three sides and a couple cornbread muffins. Yikes. They have puddings, cobblers, and pies for dessert (the guy behind the steam table offered the woman in front of me buttermilk pie and she had never heard of it; she took the last piece.) which I passed on this trip. This may be out of some folks comfort zone, but I found it well worth the trip. Of course I was already in the neighborhood.

Incidently Jimmy Jamms on 95th street near the Beverly community makes a mean sweet potato pie.

LouieB

I live not far from Loyola. There are some good bars up that way. My old favorite is Cuneen's on Devon, about three blocks from Loyola. They play CDs in there rather than have a juke box. Hamilton's used to be a great old dirt bar, but was rehabbed and still an okay place to drink. Actually right across the street from the Loyola campus on Sheridan, north of Devon is a package store that has a bar right next door which is an old timers bar (lots of young people there though) that could be a real hoot if you just want a beer and the feel of the neighborhood. Someone here may remember the name (it has someone's name I think). It's a really fun little place and has a bit of an edge. The Red Line Tap on Lunt next to the Heartland Cafe is a place to go. Parts of East Rogers Park can be rough so watch yourself. Down Broadway are plenty of places in Edgewater. Actually the hostel is in Edgewater so check stuff out around there. Many of the bars on Granville are now closed sadly (there is still a gay bar near Broadway on Grandville if you are so inclined.)

Someone else will have to comment about places near the Loop hostel, but there are plenty of places in the south Loop at this point, since that is a student area around Roosevelt, Columbia, DePaul. Most will be more touristy than corner.

LouieB

Dude thanks a lot, you're right, i could barhop all day and night and not hit them all. I checked out Hamilton's, it was the first place i found, it was cool. I want to check out some live music, some good blues or something. Do you know of any shows going on this week? I guess no suprise wilco shows for obama are going to happen.

Dude thanks a lot, you're right, i could barhop all day and night and not hit them all. I checked out Hamilton's, it was the first place i found, it was cool. I want to check out some live music, some good blues or something. Do you know of any shows going on this week? I guess no suprise wilco shows for obama are going to happen.
Were there lots of co-eds in Hamiltons? For your sake I hope so (unless you were there with a partner.)

Check the Reader music listings for music or pick up the paper somewhere. (Its everywhere.) I have to be honest, I don't go see blues hardly anymore. Sadly the old guard is pretty much gone leaving the scene to the tourists. That doesn't mean you shouldn't go check it out. Kingston Mines is still around and there are still some decent bands around and you will have fun at one of the blues bars if you have not done this before. I did this alot as a youth.

If you are downtown, Buddy Guys is your best bet. I always like B.L.U.E.S. up in the Lincoln Park area and while I have not been to Blue Chicago, it is also downtown and seems pretty touristy. If you are adventuresome, Rosa's is a pretty cool club, but way off the beaten track on the Northwest side. They still have some good bands, but I always think the cover is too high. I wish I could give you more suggestions, but frankly the blues scene is pretty weak anymore, but you may find something to give you a taste of what it used to be like if you look around and don't forget to drink alot once you get anywhere. It makes it all that much more fun.

LouieB

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The other day I went somewhere I had never been before that was kind of cool. Stephen Douglas (of Lincoln-Douglas debates fame) is buried on the south side, not far from McCormick Place. There is a big old monument that is just across the IC tracks from Lake Shore Drive. You have to get there from the other side, but it was well worth a visit. I also highly recommend the WWI monument at 31st and King Drive nearby. (The sandwich shop called Munchies is a good place to have lunch too.) Up the street from there is the new statue to the "great migration" which is kind of cool too and can be seen from I-55 right by McCormick place. Down King Drive further is where the Marx Brothers lived and several decades later, where Muddy Waters lived, which is the same general neighborhood. Lots of cool shit to do in Chicago, off the beaten path. This entire area is gentrifying fast.

LouieB

I forgot something else I was going to say. I found Blago's home the other day by accident. I sort of knew where it was but had never gone by. There is a really nice bath house called the Paradise at Montrose and Richmond (highly recommend it if you want a great whirlpool, sauna, steam room, etc.) and I went with a bunch friends last week. AFter we got totally cleaned up and were on our way home, we went north on Richmond and a block north of the Paradise is Sunnyside. There on the Northwest corner is Blago's house (with unmarked police car in front), just in case you want to visit where the next ex-Governor of IL lives. Richmond and Sunnyside. In a few weeks ol' Rod will have plenty of time to sit in the whirlpool I guess. The Paradise also features a sushi place in front as well.

thanks for all of the info in this thread. i will be in chicago from feb.5th to the 10th and i am planning on what i want to do!

And I will plan to check with you when I finally get that trip to Lethbridge, Alberta in....

What ARE you coming all that way for in February anyway? Wilco isn't playing..... :lol The weather here sucks in February (as it does in your neck of the "woods"), so you must be really motivated. I would suggest May for a trip myself.

LouieB

What ARE you coming all that way for in February anyway? Wilco isn't playing..... :lol The weather here sucks in February (as it does in your neck of the "woods"), so you must be really motivated. I would suggest May for a trip myself.

LouieB

I think a member of Wilco may be playing at someone's home. ;)

Thanks for the continuing recommendations, Lou.

I forgot something else I was going to say. I found Blago's home the other day by accident. I sort of knew where it was but had never gone by. There is a really nice bath house called the Paradise at Montrose and Richmond (highly recommend it if you want a great whirlpool, sauna, steam room, etc.) and I went with a bunch friends last week. AFter we got totally cleaned up and were on our way home, we went north on Richmond and a block north of the Paradise is Sunnyside. There on the Northwest corner is Blago's house (with unmarked police car in front), just in case you want to visit where the next ex-Governor of IL lives. Richmond and Sunnyside. In a few weeks ol' Rod will have plenty of time to sit in the whirlpool I guess. The Paradise also features a sushi place in front as well.

And I will plan to check with you when I finally get that trip to Lethbridge, Alberta in....

LouieB

lol well, i'd definitely give some recommendations (namely....DON"T EVER COME HERE!) but I plan to get the heck outta here by may! I'm headed to Vancouver, so if you ever get to the west coast you know I'll buy you a beer! :cheers

and yes...february definitely isn't ideal for a sightseeing trip to your city, but as Brianne suggests, there is some definite motivation behind the timing. :dancing i can't wait!

I get it now. I don't track the LR shows, so I forgot those were part of the mix.

Find some time to take in whatever you can of Chicago while you are here. There is plenty to do indoors; great museums, music clubs, restaurants, stores and theaters. Good luck.

Vancouver is cool; but I was only there once.

LouieB