Going to Chicago....what to do, see, stay, etc.

lou, i'm surprised you didn't talk to jamie about canada @ morgan's last year.

I may have.....I meet alot of people and can't remember everyone. In fact I think I did, now that you mention it.

LouieB

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lol no I'm good thanks :) I get confused with the names but have it all mapped out in my phone :) There are too many Lincolns!

This is the "land of Lincoln" after all. Powells on Lincoln Ave sort of between Lincoln Park and Lincoln Square is pretty good too. The best bookstores in town are sort of in Hyde Park, not even close to Lincoln anything. Sadly many of the nice used and not used indie stores are gone. There used to be a good one in Lincoln Park near the old Lounge Ax (is it still there??) and Bookworks up by Wrigley Field is also pretty good. Shake Rattle and Read by the Riv is just okay, but maybe worth a trip. Catherine's by Bryn Mawr and Broadway is smallish, but nice. If you want new books, Women and Children First is a place that always needs patronizing and is in Andersonville. The bookstore across from Laurie's in Lincoln Square is cramped, disorganized and has a nasty owner, but if you get beyond those issues, it has its moments.

There are several good used stores in Evanston, including Bookman's Alley (antiquarian books and not cheap, but very very interesting.) and one on Chicago Ave north of Main is cool and the owner is named David. There are a couple others in Evanston which I am sure you can find if you google bookstores in Evanston.

Maybe others have ideas, but these are the ones that come to my mind. Myopic is a great place. Incidently all these neighborhoods are not that close (Lincoln Park, Lincoln Square, Wicker Park) so do get a transit map if need be.

LouieB

Armadillo's Pillow in Rogers Park is decent. They have incense and jewelry and other trinkets, too.

There's also Bookleggers on Broadway just north of Diversey. I was in there once and it seemed decent but not amazing. I believe they're cash only.

If you venture down to Hyde Park, there's Seminar Co-op and 57th Street Books. I've never actually been there -- I think they're two separate stores? Looks like they have a joint website.

Unabridged Bookstore in Lakeview (the Boystown part, if you will) is great.

Quimby's big brother, Chicago Comics, is on Clark a little north of Belmont. Just a couple minutes' walk from the Bookworks place LouieB mentioned.

then there's the ominous bookstore on wellington & clark. nowhere else does my bookseller personality come out stronger then walking into that joint. he's got books stacked everywhere waiting to be shelved & the prices are really good.

then there's the ominous bookstore on wellington & clark. nowhere else does my bookseller personality come out stronger then walking into that joint. he's got books stacked everywhere waiting to be shelved & the prices are really good.

Oh yeah! What does the window say... something about well-done and rare books. :lol

There's also one on Belmont between the train station and Clark, south side of the street. Another one of those cluttered, stacks of books places.

Did anyone yet mention Dusty Groove?
Good place but very very pricey. If you know what you want and are willing to play for it is the place to go, but otherwise it sort of is not worth the time. They jumped on the collectors market and continue to ride it.

if i had the $, i'd buy just about everything in quimby's. what a great store.
I have not been in years, but I would concure. They have stuff you simply can't find anywhere else in town. Not mainstream stuff though.

RegardingSeminary Co-op and 57th Street Books they are two very different stores. Seminary is incredible and may be the best new book store in Chicago. 57 is okay too. Powells in Hyde Park is better than the one on Lincoln (or downtown if that one is still there) and has an excellent selection of used books. For the best used stores in the midwest head to Madision Wisc.

LouieB

Thanks everyone for your suggestions..I ended up buying 13 books between the stores I visited as well as 6 cd's including Autumn Defense and Andrew Bird which are REALLY hard to find where I live! And I have to say Renic's futon is comfy as all get out and she gives really great recommendations on places to eat and shop too! :)

The Chicago PBS station showed Barack Obama's Check Please! episode tonight. He recommended the Dixie Kitchen and Bait Shop in Hyde Park for peach cobbler, corn cakes, and a great family atmosphere.

http://www.wttw.com/main.taf?p=1,5

There is also one in Evanston. I have eaten at both and they do have good food. Incidently Zia's that is also reviewed on this episode (if it is still there...) also is a very good restaurant, sort of out of the way in Edison Park.

Funny episode....the young verbose state senator...

LouieB

• 3 weeks later...
Does Illinois still have the death penalty?

Yes, that's why they are some people are still trying to give imprisioned ex-Governor George Ryan the Nobel Price (no joke) for having a moritorium on it; but this could be a reason to crank up the old electric chair huh?

LouieB

• 1 month later...

So after my brief but awesome trip to Chicago this week, I have a couple places to add:

Hopleaf

Great beer selection and food. And you might just run into a fellow VCer.

The Publican

Pricey but well worth it. The food is amazing and the beer is great too. I would recommend making a reservation.