• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#41 Calexico

Calexico

I Must Be high

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,330 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 11:41 AM

I'm a huge Kozelek fan and have been wanting for a while to give Jurado a try... Any suggestions where to start?

I can see the similarities between the two artists and as a fan of both, the differences too. For the quieter side I would recommend Ghost Of David which has my favourite Jurado song on it, Medication. For something a little bit more "instrumented" I would possibly recommend I Break Chairs or perhaps his newest one called Caught In The Trees.

#42 Oil Can Boyd

Oil Can Boyd

Outtasite

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,484 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 10:51 AM

Saw Kozelek solo last night in Cambridge (MA). It was a very good show. It was in a church and he had the lights all turned off and he had a large candle in front of him, which provided the only light. I don't know if it was a mood thing or he just doesn't like having photos taken, but it was an odd environment.

He played for about two hours and his set included a bunch of new songs, most of which were really good. For the encore he asked someone in the front row what she wanted to hear and after a minute of awkwardness where it seemed like she didn't know any of his songs, she said Duk Koo Kim. He stumbled around for a while since he wasn't planning on playing it and couldn't remember many of the words. But then he pulled it together and it was fantastic.

Between songs he was his usual funny, dry, and a little bit obnoxious self. He managed to insult not only his fans but all of Canada.

My only disappointment is that he didn't play either of my two favorite songs of his (Carry Me Ohio and Tiny Cities), both of which are among my favorite songs by anyone.

#43 Vacant Horizon

Vacant Horizon

More Like the Moon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,737 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 06:20 PM

i wish he would pull a band together and tour a tight show like his albums are. i saw him solo once. i will say nothing more. Ghosts of the Great Highway is one of the best albums of the last decade. have yet to dive into Admiral Fell Promises.

#44 choo-choo-charlie

choo-choo-charlie

More Like the Moon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,905 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 08:15 AM

i wish he would pull a band together and tour a tight show like his albums are. i saw him solo once. i will say nothing more. Ghosts of the Great Highway is one of the best albums of the last decade. have yet to dive into Admiral Fell Promises.

It's really good. Really good.

#45 welch79

welch79

I Miss the Innocence

• PipPipPipPip
  • 795 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 08:40 PM

It's really good. Really good.

well said, and i agree totally.

saying that, though...and in light of the previous post: it is a different sound. it is a very sparse, haunting beauty of an album. where ghosts is a full band sound, electric in places, admiral is mainly mark and his guitar, yet it makes you forget that fact more often than not.

he is one of my favorites.

#46 Oil Can Boyd

Oil Can Boyd

Outtasite

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,484 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 10:20 AM

New album is out in May.
http://www.caldoverderecords.com/

Among The Leaves is the 5th full length album by Mark Kozelek under the Sun Kil Moon moniker. Played almost entirely on nylon string guitar, this 17-song all original album was recorded between October 2011 and January 2012 in San Francisco. Among The Leaves - words which caught Mark’s attention from a John Connolly novel - finds Mark relaxed, singing playfully about his life as a musician while retaining the melancholic spirit of his 20 year catalog. Mark’s love for San Francisco and Northern California are at the heart of this new album. “My first album (Down Colorful Hill) was released in 1992” says Kozelek, “but creatively, I feel like I’m just beginning. The new album was written and recorded impulsively, without second guessing. I didn’t have that kind of confidence in the past.” Unlike Red House Painters’ epic Rollercoaster, described by Rolling Stone as “the slowest and mopiest self revelations ever put to tape” or Sun Kil Moon’s Ghosts of the Great Highway, which Billboard Magazine called “heartbreaking,” Among The Leaves displays a more raw and humorous side of Mark’s songwriting. Aaron Prellwitz, recording engineer of Red House Painters and all 5 Sun Kil Moon albums describes the latest effort as “wonderfully direct." Kozelek curiously ties together legends Joe Frazier, Bobby Fischer and Ed Gein in ‘The Winery’, ‘‘Song for Richard Collopy’ is a touching tribute to the late San Francisco guitar repairman, and ‘Sunshine In Chicago’ – written just before taking the stage at a Chicago venue last year – is a funny, self deprecating poke at life on the road. Though Among The Leaves is mostly in the solo, nylon string style of Admiral Fell Promises, a new ensemble of players joined Mark for a portion of the record, recalling the same spirit as April and Tiny Cities, but with a fresh, new sound. The album will be released on CD, vinyl, and digitally, with bonus tracks to be announced. More information soon at www.caldoverderecords.com

TRACK LISTING:
1. I Know It’s Pathetic But That Was The Greatest Night Of My Life
2. Sunshine In Chicago
3. The Moderately Talented Yet Attractive Young Woman vs. The Exceptionally Talented Yet Not So Attractive Middle Aged Man
4. That Bird Has A Broken Wing
5. Elaine
6. The Winery
7. Young Love
8. Song For Richard Collopy
9. Among The Leaves
10. Red Poison
11. Track Number 8
12. Not Much Rhymes With Everything’s Awesome At All Times
13. King Fish
14. Lonely Mountain
15. UK Blues
16. UK Blues 2
17. Black Kite

#47 welch79

welch79

I Miss the Innocence

• PipPipPipPip
  • 795 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 08:27 PM

hey, thanks for sharing this info! looking forward to it.

#48 Vacant Horizon

Vacant Horizon

More Like the Moon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,737 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 06:49 AM

there is so much stuff over at http://www.caldoverderecords.com/. i'd love to see that tour dvd. he also puts out a bunch of live stuff every few months. that's not to mention the other RHP type bands on the label. i can't keep up. i still have to get Tiny Cities!

#49 Oil Can Boyd

Oil Can Boyd

Outtasite

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,484 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 10:33 AM

You can download a track from the forthcoming album here:

http://pitchfork.com...ine-in-chicago/

#50 Oil Can Boyd

Oil Can Boyd

Outtasite

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,484 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 01:56 PM

The always-great Bradley's Almanac blog has a long posting about Kozelek with info, links, pictures, set lists, and a giveaway. Check it out:

http://www.bradleysa...eaway-mark.html

#51 welch79

welch79

I Miss the Innocence

• PipPipPipPip
  • 795 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 12:00 PM

http://www.pitchfork...5-mark-kozelek/

interesting read re: the thoughts behind an interesting album.

#52 Oil Can Boyd

Oil Can Boyd

Outtasite

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,484 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 01:27 PM

I pre-ordered the album through Caldo Verde and it arrived a couple of weeks ago.
It does not really break any new ground for him but it's definitely got some good stuff on it.

It also came with a free CD called Live at Lincoln Hall, which is pretty good. Again, not groundbreaking, particularly if you have any of the other live CDs Caldo Verde has issued in the past few years, but it's enjoyable.

#53 i'm only sleeping

i'm only sleeping

Red Eyed & Blue

• PipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 08:04 AM

"MK: I don't make demos. I don't have the interest or the energy or the time. Demos are something you do in the early stages of your career, but when you get going, you just go in and record the song."
I wonder if that's the reason there are no demos of AGIB, WTA and The Whole Love

#54 welch79

welch79

I Miss the Innocence

• PipPipPipPip
  • 795 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 08:58 AM

http://consequenceof...ong-the-leaves/

"For lack of a more coherent assessment, not knowing how I feel about it actually IS how I feel about it."

http://stereogum.com...ies/lead-story/

"Every time I hear one of those songs, I get a little stomach twinge of annoyance, but that comes along with a sort of admiration. Plenty of songwriters probably think the way Kozelek does, but the man deserves credit for leaving it all out in the open, watering down none of it, making no attempt to make himself seem likable. And he’s also really, really good at this sort of thing."

#55 Oil Can Boyd

Oil Can Boyd

Outtasite

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,484 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 06:39 PM

I haven't hear Kozelek's new record yet but saw this quote on Pitchfork as part  of their review:

They also tease out and amplify his sharp sense of humor, which can often get lost in his deadpan delivery. “I can play like Fripp or Johnny Marr, and I can play circles ‘round Jay Farrar,” he boasts or possibly just daydreams on “Livingstone Bramble”, and when he claims, “I hate Nels Cline,” Carney inserts some scribbles and skreeks behind him, suggesting a very sly parody of Wilco’s artsy noise. It’s one of the album’s best moments-- and also its funniest.

#56 Vacant Horizon

Vacant Horizon

More Like the Moon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,737 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 06:33 AM

anyone hear that album he did with album leaf?

#57 Vacant Horizon

Vacant Horizon

More Like the Moon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,737 posts

Posted 11 October 2015 - 08:56 PM

Sorry if there was a better thread to revive than this.  

Anyway, I can't keep up with Koz over the last few years.  He's been putting out music left and right…aside from his other antics.  Looks like he's putting out an album with Jesu in February.  Track in link below.  He also has a new EP on the way as well as a spoken word album.  I'm really relating to his new stream of consciousness lyrical form.  He's made some good points about getting older and losing metaphors for shit that happens in life.  I still need to get that disc he did with Album Leaf!

http://www.sunkilmoo...zelekdillinger/

#58 GtrPlyr

GtrPlyr

More Like the Moon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,472 posts

Posted 11 October 2015 - 09:06 PM

I'm really relating to his new stream of consciousness lyrical form.

Me too. His songs of recent years have been dense with personal details and poignant storytelling. He's certainly one of the most compelling and interesting songwriters out there right now.

#59 Vacant Horizon

Vacant Horizon

More Like the Moon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,737 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 10:09 AM

Me too. His songs of recent years have been dense with personal details and poignant storytelling. He's certainly one of the most compelling and interesting songwriters out there right now.

Yes, as I hit my 40s and realized how much time had passed from my idealist 20s, his songs just nailed me. We're mortals! Fuck! Case in point, I can't believe the dude is almost 50!

The other stuff I need to get is his work with Desertshore. Guitar player from RHP is in that band.

#60 GtrPlyr

GtrPlyr

More Like the Moon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,472 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 02:04 PM

Yes, as I hit my 40s and realized how much time had passed from my idealist 20s, his songs just nailed me. We're mortals! Fuck! Case in point, I can't believe the dude is almost 50!

The other stuff I need to get is his work with Desertshore. Guitar player from RHP is in that band.

Indeed. Being in my 40s, I think his songs probably hit a bit closer to home than they would've 10 years ago.

The record with Desertshore and the one with Jimmy LaValle are both quite good, definitely worth getting. I need to give those another spin soon.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users