Via Chicago's Top 100 Albums of All Time: Summer 2010 edition

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow...thanks SO much for taking this on, Maudie! I'll go ahead and add spreadsheet savant to your already-impressive list of skills. :thumbup

So how many top-50 lists were ultimately turned in? Sorry I missed out on this exercise the first time. For me, it's most interesting to look at people's individual lists as opposed to what ultimately garnered the most votes (not that that's not interesting as well), so I'm going to post mine...

(P.S. Cheers to the other person who voted for Rodriguez's Cold Fact. I'd love to see the rest of your list! :cheers)

I let the project get way away from this time around, Paul, but yeah, it's lots of fun to do. :yes

Unfortunately, I only got 18 (or maybe 19?) lists this time around. Although since everyone got 50 picks this time, compared to 20 picks for about 50 people the last time, we ended up with about the same number of votes! If you look at the bottom of the list, you'll see that there are a couple of hundred albums from the last round that didn't make it this time. And when I get a chance, I'll figure out how many new ones made it on this time, that weren't on the last master list.

We also just scraped into the zone where everything in the top 100 got at least 2 votes. I was afraid that with so few lists sent in, and with the diversity of everyone's choices, the master list might be so spread out that anything with a single #1 vote would qualify for the top 100.

I agree, it's great to see everyone's individual lists. I always like to be surprised by a choice I wouldn't have guessed, from someone I thought I knew. And occasionally, I want to match people up and tell them they should be friends, just based on the similarities of their picks.

Here is a suggestion for an interesting little game we can play - what is the most suprising ommission from the list? Unless I am mistaken, I did not see Daydream Nation in the top 100. If I had gotten around to actually sorting my list (I did have a list but never got around to finalizing it, let alone submitting it), Daydream Nation would have been in the top 5 for certain.

And thanks for putting this together Gogo. I really enjoy seeing that our collective taste is so awesome.

Well that's funny - I just discovered the album Cold Fact yesterday. Sixto was definitely unique, but he was rather influenced by Dylan I would say.

Well, you could probably say that about a lot of people in one way or another. :pirate

Anyway, a friend recommended I buy a bootleg vinyl pressing of Cold Fact a few years ago but I didn't really get into it until the Light In The Attic reissue came out a couple years back. I like how he took some elements of Dylanesque folk and put a unique spin on it (psychedelia combined with some soul -- the guy was/is from Motown, after all). And bottom line, there's just some really strong songs on it. "Sugar Man" can stand up to some of the best songs of the era, IMHO. :thumbup

Well, you could probably say that about a lot of people in one way or another. :pirate

Anyway, a friend recommended I buy a bootleg vinyl pressing of Cold Fact a few years ago but I didn't really get into it until the Light In The Attic reissue came out a couple years back. I like how he took some elements of Dylanesque folk and put a unique spin on it (psychedelia combined with some soul -- the guy was/is from Motown, after all). And bottom line, there's just some really strong songs on it. "Sugar Man" can stand up to some of the best songs of the era, IMHO. :thumbup

There are a couple of blogs I looks at that feature obscure albums from the 60s. That is where I found it. I like the song Jane S. Piddy. I have not heard Coming From Reality yet. I also like to dig around on Youtube and find things like that.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Since I'm all about making my not-at-all-highly anticipated return to the board today: anyone in for a "Winter 2011/2012" edition?

If I get any kind of positive feedback in this thread, I'll rev it up in the next few weeks.