Freaks and Geeks

Just took the DVDs out from my local library and, I know that I'm not telling any of you anything new, but this is maybe the greatest TV show of all time.

Almost certainly my next DVD purchase.

A tragedy that one season is all that it had.

Freaks & Geeks is one of my favorite shows, bought it on DVD a while back :). It's too bad it didn't even make it to season two. Same thing for "Undeclared" which was pretty great as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Only one episode left of Freaks and Geeks before my wife and I have gotten through the entire (single-season) run of the series.

She'll probably be so bummed that she'll cry. I'll be bummed too.

Oh, and something cute: she ALWAYS laughs out loud when Haverchuck (Martin Starr) rolls his eyes after he takes his picture. Always.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IopHL3auzNQ

Haverchuck making his afterschool snack and watching Gary Shandling on TV is one of the best moments in TV history.

That was great. Thanks. "I'm One" is the perfect soundtrack for that scene.

The wife and I both love Haverchuck. Best character on the show. Most-likeable, too.

Just got done watching the last episode and I have to say it was really a great show. I wish they had renewed so we can see what was next for all of them.

I think it was Judd Apatow's first real show....plus they had a great cast.

You really feel for them and they are very realistic.

Last show had a Grateful Dead thing going and they played Ripple and Box of Rain.

Another cool thing about this show is that it is scored by Michael Andrews aka Elgin Park, who is the guitarist for Greyboy Allstars and did the music (wrote and performed) for the film Donnie Darko.

I've always thought the hook-up between Jason Segel's and Linda Cardellini's character was extremly painful and a little heartbreaking, an exceedingly awkward and realistic portrayal of kids who don't know why the hell they're doing what they do sometimes and hurting each other as a consequence. I'm pretty sure this was mainly put in as a comedic arch, so I could be the only one.

If you're mister glass-is-half-full: if f&g had run for ten seasons, so many great other comedy shows and films would never have been. Maybe it'd have been worth it, I don't know.

• 2 years later...

Just finished the final episode last night.  What a bummer that it's over now for me,  I enjoyed the hell out of it.  What an amazing group of characters they developed over one season.

And now for something completely different, moving on to season 4 of Sons of Anarchy.

Glad to see this thread come back up, as I was just considering doing another run-through of the entire series.

Still the best-ever, IMO.

i also really enjoyed undeclared, but it doesnt have the spark that made freaks and geeks so good. probably didnt help that i watched both shows back to back but undeclared is definitely the lighter show. maybe just because freaks and geeks felt like a new perspective on a high school setting while undeclared was more of your standard college comedy, idk, but it didn't leave me totally blown away like freaks and geeks did.

that said, it's got a good cast and the story arcs aren't bad, and id definitely recommend it to any freaks and geeks fan