• Replies 995
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Moss, I went Friday, as well. The show was fantastic because they are, collectively, excellent musicians playing an amazing body of work with new and original twists to it. They are the real deal and they're always a pleasure to catch. They aren't claiming to be anything they aren't: a group of musicains playing tunes they love and that a large number of people love. John K continues to offer his take on the tunes in a refreshing way and original manner.

Hey Moss, I went Friday, as well. The show was fantastic because they are, collectively, excellent musicians playing an amazing body of work with new and original twists to it. They are the real deal and they're always a pleasure to catch. They aren't claiming to be anything they aren't: a group of musicains playing tunes they love and that a large number of people love. John K continues to offer his take on the tunes in a refreshing way and original manner.

Hey cool! Sorry I missed you there. Yeah, I don't really bring any Grateful Dead baggage to the show. Like you said, great musicians, great songs, great sound, loved every second of it.

Not a bad venue overall, I had never been to the first bank center before.

this is a great description of further. now if we could get mickey, billy, bruce, and kimock back in the fold;)

now if we could get mickey, billy, bruce, and kimock back in the fold;)

As much as I appreciate each of those guys, I really don't find Furthur to be lacking in some direction at all. Plus, Billy has vocalized his distaste for what Phil, Bob, and Furthur are doing......and I'm not sure Phil and Kimmock have ever made up, either....

I think this will be interesting:

Grateful Dead and Phish Archivists to Speak at Drexel University

Grateful Dead archivist David Lemieux and Phish archivist Kevin Shapiro will participate in two days of events at Philadelphia’s Drexel University next week. On Thursday, February 24 at 6 PM, the two archivists will participate in an open discussion moderated by Music Industry Professor Toby Seay. According to the university’s website, “These two highly regarded professionals will discuss how they’ve managed the massive recordings and holdings of their archives, how their bands make decisions about preservation and releases, and the impact technology is having on their work.”

Seay will also release a podcast that will offer select, released tracks chosen by Lemieux and Shapiro of performances by each band in Philadelphia along with a discussion on why these tracks were released. The podcast will be available Wednesday, February 23rd from 3-7 PM as a stream here.

As much as I appreciate each of those guys, I really don't find Furthur to be lacking in some direction at all. Plus, Billy has vocalized his distaste for what Phil, Bob, and Furthur are doing......and I'm not sure Phil and Kimmock have ever made up, either....

i hear ya. i just really liked the first incarnation of the other ones. i always thought kimock filled the garcia spot without trying to be jerry. he just added some nice melodic solos and exploration. mark karan, on the other hand, was non existent. those terrapin shows from several years ago with jimmy herring were great too.

I bet someone will ask David about Sunshine Daydream. I get the feeling a lot of projects they had lined up changed once the Rhino deal happened.

Yup. Why isnt that out? I just pulled off Traders Den a month ago and it's pretty f'in good quality, I dont really care if it comes out or not but seems silly not release it.

Yup. Why isnt that out? I just pulled off Traders Den a month ago and it's pretty f'in good quality, I dont really care if it comes out or not but seems silly not release it.

Years ago, he said it was on the list. I have feeling the people who own it want a ton of money for it.

That's probably the same version I have.

Welcome to My (Blog) World! By Blair Jackson

cool to see blair's blog. thanks for the link. for some reason it prompted me to listen to ratdog's evening mood album. that has some of bob's best songs and is produced so well. i love bob's guitar up front in the mix. Two Djinn is as good as anything he's written. love that middle riff.

cool to see blair's blog. thanks for the link. for some reason it prompted me to listen to ratdog's evening mood album. that has some of bob's best songs and is produced so well. i love bob's guitar up front in the mix. Two Djinn is as good as anything he's written. love that middle riff.

I never gotten around to get that Ratdog cd- I should.

I never gotten around to get that Ratdog cd- I should.

it's pretty good. in fact, it's all the ratdog you need. the last two songs get a little long with that slow ratdog groove, but there some great great songs on there.

Been a while since I popped in here. Hope everyones doing well. Since the phish came back I've been so overwhelmed keeping up with them that I haven't had time to dig back into the dead. Further really hasn't help peak my interest either.

Ratdog has a few good originals. Like Two Dijnn, Ashes and Glass was always a favorite when I used to catch their sets.

Thanks for the info, I would love to go this, Drexel is 20 minutes from me, but 6pm is tough. Will try though.

I am checking this out now. I don't know about the event, but there is a podcast up where both guys are commenting on various live tracks from each band. The talk is before or after the song, so it does not ruin the flow of the song.

Chalk Dust Torture>Bird Song

A while back (perhaps in the 2nd Dead thread) we were discussing Hart's financial status while he was on hiatus from the band.

Below is a blogger "hypothesis. The whole post is pretty good.

Lost Live Dead (blog)

It's my hypothesis that in early 1971 Joe Smith was on a campaign to show Jerry Garcia and the Grateful Dead that they should stay at Warner Brothers when their contract expired, and the money that Smith would have thrown around would have been done with that in mind. Mickey Hart was unable to continue touring with the Dead in February 1971, due mainly to the stress resulting from his father's corrupt handling of the band's finances. However, while the Dead remained close to Hart and considered him an ex officio member of the group, the fact was the Dead were still digging themselves out of debt, and would not have had much money to spare. How was Hart going to afford his ranch and studio without joining a band or scaling down or otherwise changing his plans?

I think Joe Smith offered Mickey Hart a two album deal and an advance in 1971 when he left the group. This would have given him the cash to keep his ranch and studio while taking a break from touring. This would also have taken a monkey off the Grateful Dead's back. If Warners was looking out for Mickey, then the Dead could rest easy about his status. Joe Smith didn't expect anyone to buy Rolling Thunder when it came out, but he would have been in the midst of negotiations with the Dead for their future, so he would have been happy to keep his promises. The next year, when the Dead had already departed for their own label, Smith had no interest in releasing Hart's follow up album and the record remained in the can, yet another sign of how Smith and Warners saw the contract with Hart.

• 2 weeks later...
"While we try our hardest for accuracy, we were a bit off in our original count of the CDs included in the Europe '72 boxed set. Now that we're rolling full-steam ahead on the mixin...g and mastering of the boxed set, we've decided to not break up any segued jam sequences that took place on the tour to squeeze the longer shows onto 3 CDs per show, nor will we be re-sequencing any shows to make them fit onto 3 CDs. What this means is that several shows will need to be bumped up to 4 CDs per show, resulting in the boxed set now containing 72 CDs, an increase from the 60+ discs we originally told you. No, that number is not a gimmick, it just happened that 72 is where the final tally landed, much to our surprise. Sure hope you don't mind.."

Just came on the board to post this. Crazy, weird, and interesting dude.

From what I have read, I'd say he was also a few other things that would be rude to say now. I recall reading that he had suffered from some sort of cancer in recent years, so it is surprising to learn he died in a car wreck.

He also had tapes of a lot of other bands. Some of which have came out on cd in recent years.