Wilco — 9/25/12, Jacksonville, OR (Britt Pavilion)

There's something about the Britt Pavilion, I guess. Despite some weird policies as far as crowd control, it's just such a pleasant setting for a concert that you can't help but just enjoy the time you have there. And if you're lucky enough to get up front, the level of intimacy is pretty unmatched for an outdoor venue...at least any that I've been to.

The performers seemed to respond to the surroundings tonight, with both Jonathan Richman and Wilco turning in great sets. I think Jonathan had his best opening set that I've seen thus far on this run, even taking an extended "dance solo" in the crowd after granting an enthusiastic request for "I Was Dancing in the Lesbian Bar."

Wilco, meanwhile, continue to put on a very solid show night to night, adding a few nuggets as always and really nailing the staples. Tonight Scott McCaughey even showed up, as he often does in Oregon, and how often do you get "McOi" *and* the "shirtless roadie" in the same show? Even if we didn't get everything — the planned closer of Just A Kid, which was on the printed setlist and was soundchecked, wasn't played (though the band seemed to have time; they were off stage at 10:22, according to the stage clock) — you could hardly complain.

A few other notes that I can remember in the immediate aftermath...

*There was one other change from the printed list, with Far, Far Away taking the place of At Least That's What You Said to start the encore.

*From a purely personal standpoint, it was wonderful to hear Pick Up The Change. Love that song. They soundchecked it the first night in Berkeley and again yesterday, but I was starting to fear they might not actually do it.

*Nels used a guitar that I hadn't seen before on I'm The Man and Shot. It was an off-white or very pale blue Nashguitars Jaguar (or Jaguar-looking) model, if I'm not mistaken. [EDIT: It's actually a Nash Jazzmaster, which I guess they've recently reintroduced to their line.]

*As he has been for a couple of songs each night on this run, Nels also played what I presume to be Duane Allman's goldtop Les Paul. Jeff hasn't been announcing it as such, so maybe it's a replica of some sort, but Nels certainly seems to relish every chance he gets to play it. Tonight, among other songs, he ripped the solo on Shouldn't Be Ashamed using the Les Paul.

*Jeff had a few funny lines, but I think the most memorable to me was his pointing out a young guy in the front row. Jeff said he had to admit he was slightly distracted because the guy was wearing those shoes that have individual slots for the toes, which Jeff said made him "mentally ill uncomfortable." Then he said something about Glenn liking those kind of shoes and joked that Glenn "has underwear like that." Before that got any further, though, Glenn promptly hit the sample pad to kick off Heavy Metal Drummer. Haha.

Anyway, here was the complete setlist, as played:

One Sunday Morning

Art Of Almost

I Might

Sunken Treasure (Jeff on acoustic; no harmonica)

Hell Is Chrome

Company In My Back

Impossible Germany

Born Alone>

Laminated Cat (aka Not For The Season) (electric arrangement)

Handshake Drugs

Shouldn't Be Ashamed

Pick Up The Change

Whole Love

I'm Always In Love

Heavy Metal Drummer>

I'm The Man Who Loves You

Dawned On Me

A Shot in the Arm

Hummingbird (dedicated to Tommy Larkins)

-----------------------------

Far, Far Away

California Stars (w/Scott McCaughey on keyboards)

Hoodoo Voodoo (w/ bass/guitar/keyboard tech Josh on cowbell)

Monday>

Outtasite (Outta Mind)

In case anyone was curious, here's what Jonathan Richman (and Tommy Larkins) played at Britt Pavilion:

We Had A Fight Last Night

Vampire Girl

The Bitter Herb>

Her Beauty Is Raw And Wild

No One Was Like Vermeer>

Springtime In New York

I Was Dancing in the Lesbian Bar

We'll Be The Noise, We'll Be The Scandal>

La Festa Galactica? (Italian party song)

Bohemia

What an amazing venue! A surprisingly loose performance with a great setlist.

The other audible in the encore was the substitution of Far Far Away for At Least That's What You Said, which was on the original setlist as the first song in the encore.

There's a hard-and-fast curfew of 10:30 at the Britt, and a security guard told me that the fine for going overtime is $5,000. So it's understandable that the encore got trimmed.

*As he has been for a couple of song each night on this run, Nels also played what I presume to be Duane Allman's goldtop Les Paul. Jeff hasn't been announcing it as such, so maybe it's a replica of some sort, but Nels certainly seems to relish every chance he gets to play it. Tonight, among other songs, he ripped the solo on Shouldn't Be Ashamed using the Les Paul.

I got to ask Nels about that guitar after last month's show in Luxembourg. He told me it was a fairly new guitar that has been reliced in some way, given to him by Jeff. That night he only used it on IG and Jeff used to look at him in funny ways during the solo, because the guitar didn't play in tune very well :twitchsmile .

I got to ask Nels about that guitar after last month's show in Luxembourg. He told me it was a fairly new guitar that has been reliced in some way, given to him by Jeff. That night he only used it on IG and Jeff used to look at him in funny ways during the solo, because the guitar didn't play in tune very well :twitchsmile .

OK, thanks for the info. I kind of figured it must be a replica of some sort or Jeff would probably say it was the actual Duane Allman guitar. Hadn't gotten to ask Nels about it myself. Either way, I love Les Pauls so it's cool to finally see Nels playing one somewhat regularly...