Donations and T-Shirts! (redux)

This is an almost word-for-word repeat of a post I made a few years ago.  Sorry for the repeat, I'm just too lazy to do all the links, etc., again. :)  The bottom line is, the site is up for renewal, and we need to raise some cash to cover server fees, etc.

After much ado, and kicking around a few ideas that were way over-complicated, we've come down to two fund-raising methods. We hope you'll all think about supporting the site by either making a donation (of any size) or buying a t-shirt (also of any size).

First, you can donate directly by clicking here.

That'll take you straight to a PayPal page, where you can make a donation in any amount, using your paypal account or a credit card (if anyone would prefer to donate by check or any other method, please PM me).

If you'd like to click on the "add message" option when making your donation to let us know your VC screen name, we'll confirm by PM that we've received your donation.  (I've been bad about getting back to people lately; if you donated and didn't hear back from me, please PM me and I'll confirm that we received your generous donation.) 

We're also offering t-shirts, through the Via Chicago Store on zazzle.com, at http://www.zazzle.com/viachicagostore* (apparently we get extra $ if you shop though that exact address, with the asterisk at the end).

We're not planning on making a ton of money from these shirts, but they're pretty great, and we think people will enjoy showing off their membership in the cool crowd by wearing them. 

The fabulous t-shirt designs currently available were all designed by VCer "Misswe", and they're not limited to what's pictured in the samples (they are customizable, you can pick the color/style of shirt). We also received a few submissions that we couldn't use, for some technical reasons, but we're hoping to get that straightened out and have more available soon.

We're still accepting designs, so if seeing Misswe's lovely artwork gets your creative juices flowing, feel free to PM me with whatever you've got. Please note that we are looking for Via Chicago-specific designs; while vague references to Wilco lyrics, etc., are probably OK, we are not getting into the business of selling Wilco t-shirts. Also, please take a look at the zazzle specs page, and keep in mind that designs for t-shirts should be of an appropriate size to either fit, or take up enough space, on the front of a t-shirt.

We've also got some out of date calendars and ridiculous mugs, so knock yourselves out.  :badger

Thanks to everyone who has submitted fundraising ideas and t-shirt designs, and thanks to you all for continuing to make Via Chicago a great place to spend some time. 

In the past week, at least 75 different people have posted on VC.  That's just active posts, it's not even counting anyone who might be lurking, people who post semi-regularly but maybe have been on vacation for the past week, whatever.

If each of those 75 people contributed $5 to VC, we'd be able to cover the server renewal for the next two years (fyi:  that amount doesn't cover it completely; it would be all of those $5 donations, plus the small carry-over we have from t-shirt sales and some donations made since the last time we renewed).

So:  if you enjoy BSing on VC, if it's where you hear about new music or get a chance to talk to like-minded music fans about your favorite older stuff, if it's useful to you to swing by and try to buy/sell extra tickets, if you appreciate Analogman keeping us updated on what's available for download... please think about making a donation, and please don't feel you have to limit yourself to that $5 suggested donation above. 

:wave

Thanks so much to the generous crew that's donated in the past week!

We're about halfway to where I was hoping to get for this round of fundraising.  I'll now say that if 40 of you gave $5 each, we'd be pretty close to where we need to be.

And please keep in mind that if funds are tight right now, but you'd be able to donate in a few months or a year down the road, that donation link is always active.   :dancing   So feel free to jump in at any time, because after we renew this summer, we'll be starting fresh for next time.  Donations are always welcome and highly appreciated!

• 5 months later...

Rather than make myself crazy all at once when the site comes up for renewal next time, I'm going to bump this request for donations now, and see if we can get a steady stream and maybe even earn a little interest in the next year and a half. :)  I've quoted some of the most pertinent info from the earlier posts in this thread, but please feel free to go back to the top and read through it again, or let me know if you have any questions.

And as always, those of you who can and have helped out, it is greatly appreciated. If you can't right now, please keep us in mind the next time you have an extra couple of bucks. :wave

That'll take you straight to a PayPal page, where you can make a donation in any amount, using your paypal account or a credit card (if anyone would prefer to donate by check or any other method, please PM me).

If you'd like to click on the "add message" option when making your donation to let us know your VC screen name, we'll confirm by PM that we've received your donation.  (I've been bad about getting back to people lately; if you donated and didn't hear back from me, please PM me and I'll confirm that we received your generous donation.) 

We're also offering t-shirts, through the Via Chicago Store on zazzle.com, at http://www.zazzle.com/viachicagostore* (apparently we get extra $ if you shop though that exact address, with the asterisk at the end).

So:  if you enjoy BSing on VC, if it's where you hear about new music or get a chance to talk to like-minded music fans about your favorite older stuff, if it's useful to you to swing by and try to buy/sell extra tickets, if you appreciate Analogman keeping us updated on what's available for download... please think about making a donation, and please don't feel you have to limit yourself to that $5 suggested donation above. 

:wave

And please keep in mind that if funds are tight right now, but you'd be able to donate in a few months or a year down the road, that donation link is always active.   :dancing   So feel free to jump in at any time, because after we renew this summer, we'll be starting fresh for next time.  Donations are always welcome and highly appreciated!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Another quick bump for this one.  The site will come up for renewal right about the time of Solid Sound 2015.  Unless you want the site to go dark just as you're ready to start making meet-up plans and discussing requests, I suggest that you donate now.  :poke

Plus, tons of other details up above in the very first post and throughout this thread, if you need more info.  Thanks so much to all who have donated, we've got about half of what we'll need to renew in the bank already. :)

Last time around it cost about $675.  We've got $230 in the bank now (I know, my math is off, that's definitely not half!).  A mod or two have made up the difference in the past, when necessary, but obviously, it's preferable to have a lot of VCers give a little, than to rely on one person for a big donation.  That's why I've been haranguing on a more regular basis lately, a few donations here and there take some of the stress off as the renewal date is approaching and I start fretting about how we're going to make up the difference. :twitchsmile

Oh, and we've also got an $11 zazzle balance :badger , which I can't claim unless our balance reaches $50, or if we're willing to pay a $2.50 processing fee.  Unless we come up with something new and great to sell in that store, I'm just going to go ahead and pay the fee pretty soon.