• Replies 995
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah.

Just got an email from Amazon saying they are refunding me $1.95 for the SSDD discs that just shipped due to finding a lower-priced seller. How cool is that?

To reply to your post from the previous thread:

"C'mon, man. Enough of the "fake Jerry" crap. They need a guitar player to play lead and take some vocals. So the keyboardist is a fake Brent? Or the drummer a fake Mickey? When Bobby sings Masterpiece he's a fake Dylan, I suppose.If you don't enjoy them or go to the shows, that's cool. But why would you actually be looking forward to the hiatus, then?"

I'd prefer a different guitar player/vocalist than fake Jerry, and I just find him to be terrible. Warren Haynes, Neal Casal, Stu Allen are a few that come to mind. It's a pretty commonly used nickname due to his tenure in DSO, and is meant as a criticism, which is why I used it. He's a bit too reverential in his approach. I don't see any of the other players as being "fakes." I'm looking forward to the hiatus so that Phil can pursue other projects that I find more enjoyable. Same with Bob, to a lesser extent. Hopefully no more Ratdog, would prefer his solo acoustic stuff or playing with Robinson and Greene.

But that's just like my opinion, man. 

I was psyched to hear the Neil Casal leads on some of the recent Phil & Friends shows. I am a huge fan of his solo material, and though his vocals aren't quite as good on the Dead material as they were on his old solo records, he's still pretty great. He was phenomenal (on guitar) with Chris Robinson Brotherhood when I saw them, and I got him to autograph a couple of his CDs for me afterwards. Really a cool dude.

I really like the CRB.

Crowes are coming 3 nights at a small  theatre (same place Furthur played a one-off before the bigger arena for 3 nights up the road) next month.

Not to take away from GD business....

Regarding Furthur surprises, I'm not really sure what they could do.  They've done the entire Terrapin for a while now, they played Blues for Allah, Bob's done Walking in Sunshine.  What could they do that people actually want to see?  I guess they could do a set of rare Pigpen tunes.

Regarding fake jerry.  I used to loathe JK.  I've grown to like him a bit.  However, I'm with the above commenter, I don't want a Jerry Clone, I'd like to have a guitarist with their own sound that fits in.  Warren Haynes does not fit at all and I think they wasted lots of time with him.  Herring was okay.  Stu Allen is a billion times better than JK and he's in the bay area.  Neal Cassel would be a good fit.  He fits in and doesn't try to sound Garcia.  Not sure who else might work.  I really liked some of the Phil, Bob and drummer, piano stuff on Weir Here.  Who knows, they really haven't gone Furthur since Garcia died, so, whatever.

If Bob does do Ratdog, I wonder if Kimock will be in the band.  

I got SSDD in the mail today. I was talking with Steve Silberman on his FB and when he told me among the essays there would be one by Johnny Dwork I fully expected the package to be the size of a refrigerator box.  :D

I got SSDD in the mail today. I was talking with Steve Silberman on his FB and when he told me among the essays there would be one by Johnny Dwork I fully expected the package to be the size of a refrigerator box.  :D

Was it a new essay by Dwork or was it the same one in his Taper's book. The one in the Taper's book is pretty good and rather extensive.

Was it a new essay by Dwork or was it the same one in his Taper's book. The one in the Taper's book is pretty good and rather extensive.

The Dwork essay in the Taper's Compendium was derived from his very long piece in Dupree's Diamond News, they had previously published a big article on this show, the "best GD show ever" or something like that.  I still have it in my collection. 

My SSDD is due to arrive today.  My wife going away to her h.s. reunion this weekend, I know what I'll be doing Saturday night.

Regarding Furthur surprises, I'm not really sure what they could do.  They've done the entire Terrapin for a while now, they played Blues for Allah, Bob's done Walking in Sunshine.  What could they do that people actually want to see?  I guess they could do a set of rare Pigpen tunes.

Regarding fake jerry.  I used to loathe JK.  I've grown to like him a bit.  However, I'm with the above commenter, I don't want a Jerry Clone, I'd like to have a guitarist with their own sound that fits in.  Warren Haynes does not fit at all and I think they wasted lots of time with him.  Herring was okay.  Stu Allen is a billion times better than JK and he's in the bay area.  Neal Cassel would be a good fit.  He fits in and doesn't try to sound Garcia.  Not sure who else might work.  I really liked some of the Phil, Bob and drummer, piano stuff on Weir Here.  Who knows, they really haven't gone Furthur since Garcia died, so, whatever.

If Bob does do Ratdog, I wonder if Kimock will be in the band.  

I like Stu a lot, but it could be argued that he's a "fake Jerr," too. I think Warren sounds great  and love Herring, esp. in P&F. I guess I prefer to have a guitarist who plays the tunes more closely to their original sound. It'd be weird, to me, having someone with a "different" sound, say like The Edge's sound, doing these tunes....The tunes are meant to have a certain lead guitar sound, imo, and it's ok by me to have them played by someone who can approach that.

Yeah, I'm thinking a whole album (Anthem?) or maybe Mickey sitting in for Red Rocks....

Kimock in Ratdog blows Mark Karan in Ratdog away.

Lammy

I agree with you for the most part. My comment was kin of confusing. If you want Jerry then Stu is it. It's astounding that he's not in Furthur.

I miss the classic versions of songs. furthur really slowed everything down and added more solos; eg: jack straw. I find DSO creepy. Stu's Mars Hotel is top for me. I wish they'd tour nationally.

I finally broke down and ordered a copy of this from an Amazon seller for $26.70. I didn't want to pay an extra 20 bucks for the bells and whistles on the exclusive version from Dead.net, but I still want the music and the movie.

Not sure why sellers are offering it new cheaper than the used copies (which are obviously going to be "Like New"). Maybe they get them wholesale in bulk? Or they are taking a small loss to try to drum up new business. No idea.

Looking forward to hearing it. The Bird Song sounds really good on the listening party segment they posted.

He's played in the Melvin Seals JGB on/off  since mid-2000s, played lead/sang in DSO for a spell, and does his own projects (Stu Allen and Mars Hotel right now). He's been playing at Phil's Terrapin place a lot, too.

Listened to the whole show last night as I got it in the mail yesterday a day earlier than expected. Not too impressed with some of the versions of tunes. Deal, Sugaree, cowboy tunes sound pretty tame.

Lammy, check out the Greatest Story, Garcia's solo may be one of his most blistering of all time.

Ya...the Greatest Story is probably among the finest (better than 9.28.1972?), as is the China Cat Rider (especially the transition from China into Rider (is there a better transition?))...the PITB is probably the best summer 1972 psychedelic sprinting version...

...and at the end of Dark Star you can hear jerry really wanted to enter mourning dew...but weir pressed for el paso....hmmm.....