Rolling Stone print issue of Aug. 14 article about Sukierae

I've searched and can't find a link to this whole sidebar article in the current print issue of Rolling Stone, so I'm going to painstakingly type it out here. Forgive any typos, please. [limbers up fingers. . . ]

The article is on page 22 and is accompanied by a nice picture that I haven't seen before, of Jeff on guitar, Spencer drumming, captioned "Like Father--Jeff and Spencer Tweedy in Detroit in June"

Headline: Jeff Tweedy Turns Solo LP Into a Family Affair

Subhead: Wilco leader, teen drummer son make a hopeful record about a painful subject

For his first solo album, Sukierae (due September 23rd), Wilco's Jeff Tweedy drew on his family for both instrumental help and lyrical inspiration. The former came via the Wilco frontman's 18-year-old son, Spencer, who drummed on each of the 20 new tracks. The latter was more problematic. The songs are largely about Tweedy's coming to terms with his wife Susan's ongoing battle against lymphoma--an awkward subject to broach in his main band. "In Wilco," he says, "there's an egalitarian attitude. I didn't think saying 'I want this one to be about my wife' would work."

Tweedy and Spencer recorded Sukierae, titled after Susan's nickname, at Wilco's Chicago studio. The elder Tweedy, 46, had made some initial attempts at handling drum duties before realizing his son was the man for the job. "You think your opinion is always affected by parental pride," he says, "but I realized he's a fucking drumming savant." Spencer's cops shine on the garage-rocking first single, "I'll Sing It," a burst of a song that exemplifies the album's defiantly non-morose mood. (The stately "Summer Noon" and lilting "Wait for Love" are other standouts.)

"I'm very positive about Susan's prognosis," says Tweedy. "I didn't want the album to sound like a premature eulogy, and working with my son was a great experience." Still, the sessions had the occasional father-son hiccup. "Sometimes," admits Tweedy, "Spencer would show up at the studio hungry and in full-on bitch-face mode. But he found a way to get through it."  --David Marchese

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I read the article today. Nice piece...and some interesting news I hadn't seen elsewehere... That later this year, after "Sukirae" by Tweedy comes out, there's supposed to be an album of Wilco rarities set for release.

I'm betting nearer to the holiday season & I hope it's a multiple CD set- don't imagine it'll be just a single CD...hoping for a box set myself!!

I read the article today. Nice piece...and some interesting news I hadn't seen elsewehere... That later this year, after "Sukirae" by Tweedy comes out, there's supposed to be an album of Wilco rarities set for release.

I'm betting nearer to the holiday season & I hope it's a multiple CD set- don't imagine it'll be just a single CD...hoping for a box set myself!!

Interesting. I wonder what else is out there that all of us hardcore fans haven't gotten our hands on yet. My "B-Sides and non-album tracks" playlist in iTunes is pretty long. Wilco can release whatever they want; but personally, if they're not putting out any new material, I'd like to hear more outtakes and studio sessions. I'd love to hear the noise jams and loose workouts through tunes that ultimately led to the final tracks. There's plenty of stuff from the YHF/AGIB era out there, but not much from AM/BT/ST. Maybe there's some stuff from that era that none of us have heard yet...

In the October 2014 issue of Uncut there is a sidebar article about a project jeff is working on to polish up and release a lot of Pops Staples unpublished works. I don't have a link to the article because I don't think it's been made available electronically for free but it was very interesting. It sounded like it was due to be released before the end of the year and he's working in conjunction with Mavis.

The email that Wilco HQ sent out today confirms "rarities box." 

This was even more exciting news for me than the new CD or the upcoming Wilco release. I am enough of a completist that I am just hoping it contains something I don't already have!

Has anyone else seen the brand new issue of Rolling Stone with Robin Williams on the cover? It has a much longer article on Jeff and Spencer--a 2-page spread, I believe. I'm a subscriber and got it in the mail yesterday, but I can't access the online content, even to post a preview. It's a good article, based on an interview conducted at The Loft, with a fair amount of joshing between Jeff and Spencer, although it does dwell a bit much on the melancholy aspects of the making of Sukierae. Hopefully it will soon be posted online.

Has anyone else seen the brand new issue of Rolling Stone with Robin Williams on the cover? It has a much longer article on Jeff and Spencer--a 2-page spread, I believe. I'm a subscriber and got it in the mail yesterday, but I can't access the online content, even to post a preview. It's a good article, based on an interview conducted at The Loft, with a fair amount of joshing between Jeff and Spencer, although it does dwell a bit much on the melancholy aspects of the making of Sukierae. Hopefully it will soon be posted online.

Yup, I am a subscriber as well. I haven't looked for the online content though.