• Replies 996
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How very appropriate we start a new thread on this day. Thanks, Aman.

I've been deep in a marathon this last week. So many glorious discoveries, still. 

First up - the bonus CD from Reckoning from the Beyond Description box.

On a purely selfish perspective, I was really looking forward to hopefully seeing Weir sit in with Wilco at Lockn'. And the Ratdog>Phil and Friends>Furthur progression on Friday.

I was hoping for the collaboration with Wilco too, but it's a small loss if it means Weir's going to get the help/rest/whatever he needs. 

Speaking of Lockn though, I think we should start a thread, similar to the one for Newport. I don't think there is one.

Pretty bummed about this. I have scoured the internet for more info, but only come up with rumors: rehab, back surgery...nothing with a solid, attributable source. Saddened by the news, either way.

Last year was a great year for me for concerts, but this year is shaping up to be all sorts of messed up. First Paul McCartney got sick, and the show I was supposed to go to was postponed until October 25th...which would have been fine and dandy, except I had tickets for Bill Maher that night. I finally sold the Maher tickets yesterday, and now this (I had tickets for Ratdog and CRB for 8/24). I sure hope McCartney stays well, for my own selfish reasons, of course. Hope for the best for Bob, of course. Dang, it's tough to see these legends get old.

I agree, it is tough to see these guys get old.  Unfortunately, I think they bite off more than they can chew when it comes to touring.  If they keep booking dates like this, then I'm sure we'll see cancellations continue.  I am bummed Ratdog.  I was thinking about going to the Atlanta show…specifically to see CRB though.  I'm going to go see DSO instead.

I'm curious what this means for 2015 Furthur or Dead.  There's been some speculation that there might be a 50th anniversary thing going to happen.  If it does, I really hope it's something good, well thought out, rehearsed etc. and not something thrown together like the last few Dead tours were.  Maybe just Furthur with the songs back to normal speed?

Jambands reports that Bob is to be off the road 'immediately and indefinitely'.  That's pretty ominous.  Get well buddy.

Now, I wouldn't mind all the Furthur guys touring with Phil or with another bass player.  They can definitely play the songs and would be fun to see in a smaller venue.

San Francisco Giants third base coach and occasional Bob Weir collaborator Tim Flannery has released an email he received from Weir regarding the guitarist’s condition and recent tour cancellation. JamBase has pointed out that the former professional baseball player posted the email on the Facebook page for his band, Tim Flannery and Lunatic Fringe. The post reads:

Bobby Weir tonight cancelled all of his shows with Ratdog for the next year, Rolling Stone came out with lots of rumored stories. I emailed The Chief tonight this was his response, for those that have asked.

“Thnx, I’m doing fine, just a bit too much work and especially travel. This year has been especially busy; I’ve put in more miles in the first six months than I normally do in a year. Taking some time off, which I haven’t done in 50 years…”

Cheers,

Weir”

Saw DSO last night.  They really are excellent.  They've somehow managed to transcend the tribute/cover band stigma and just play the music as an orchestra would play a classical piece.  Eaton just nails Weir's guitar style and Jeff Matson can really jam.  Not to mention the new 'Phil'.  They all just nailed it.  They played a late '73 show.  The Dark Star is up there with anything the Dead did.  Just a real good time, little hassle and a great crowd.  These guys really get the spirit.

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~./gdead/dead-sets/73/12-18-73.txt

Listening to New Haven, 4/23/83 at my desk today. I went to the show the night before, but everyone on archive.org is interested in this one. Vocals are pretty ragged, as was typical of Jerry from the early 80s on, but lots of nice guitar work. Check it out:

https://archive.org/details/gd83-04-23.set2-sbd.miller.29469.sbeok.flac16

• 2 weeks later...

I have a question for you kind deadheadVCers. I will visiting the US for the first time, most likely NY and Chicago next autumn, and maybe SF as well. Is it still possible to (physically) purchase GD/JGB material (e.g. the forthcoming 1990 The Other One Box, Dave & Dick's Picks, May 1977 Box, etc.) in real (not virtual) record stores in your country? (Note: in Spain all their records except American Beauty and Workingman have dissapeared from the few record shops still alive). Or is that material only available via dead.net? And, if yes to the first question, any recommended (prices, variety, discounts, second-hand gems,...) stores? Thank you!

I have a question for you kind deadheadVCers. I will visiting the US for the first time, most likely NY and Chicago next autumn, and maybe SF as well. Is it still possible to (physically) purchase GD/JGB material (e.g. the forthcoming 1990 The Other One Box, Dave & Dick's Picks, May 1977 Box, etc.) in real (not virtual) record stores in your country? (Note: in Spain all their records except American Beauty and Workingman have dissapeared from the few record shops still alive). Or is that material only available via dead.net? And, if yes to the first question, any recommended (prices, variety, discounts, second-hand gems,...) stores? Thank you!

From the Chicago perspective your best bet will be a used record store - like a Reckless Records or perhaps Laurie's Planet of Sound in Lincoln Sqaure may have some stuff.

Sadly, there are not too many record stores left.

There are some big box stores like Best Buy, that may have newer releases --- but even there, it's spotty at best.

I don't think you will have much luck finding box sets in Chicago --- could be wrong though. I think all the Dave's Picks and Big Box Sets (like the 90 one) are mostly available via Dead.net.

Listening to New Haven, 4/23/83 at my desk today. I went to the show the night before, but everyone on archive.org is interested in this one. Vocals are pretty ragged, as was typical of Jerry from the early 80s on, but lots of nice guitar work. Check it out:

https://archive.org/details/gd83-04-23.set2-sbd.miller.29469.sbeok.flac16

I was at these shows, too. They toured tons that year (as with many other years) and these shows were towards the tale end of shows since the end of March (and then only a brief time off before May shows and summer tour). It's amazing he had a voice for how much they toured (not to mention his in between JGB shows).

From the Chicago perspective your best bet will be a used record store - like a Reckless Records or perhaps Laurie's Planet of Sound in Lincoln Sqaure may have some stuff.

Sadly, there are not too many record stores left.

There are some big box stores like Best Buy, that may have newer releases --- but even there, it's spotty at best.

I don't think you will have much luck finding box sets in Chicago --- could be wrong though. I think all the Dave's Picks and Big Box Sets (like the 90 one) are mostly available via Dead.net.

Thanks so much calvino! I'll check both stores in Chicago. I hope to find those boxes because purchasing them via internet is prohibitively expensive due to custom taxes

Thanks so much calvino! I'll check both stores in Chicago. I hope to find those boxes because purchasing them via internet is prohibitively expensive due to custom taxes

Maybe one of the stores can order them for you in advance of you going to Chicago? It's possible, and might be worth checking into (via email if international calling is prohibitively expensive).

Maybe one of the stores can order them for you in advance of you going to Chicago? It's possible, and might be worth checking into (via email if international calling is prohibitively expensive).

Good sugestion Mr heartbreak, thank you! I'll contact them as soon as I fix my travel dates

On an unrelated note, I didn't know that some ultraposh people may also like gd.  I bet it's just a pose

http://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/victoria-beckham-fan-grateful-dead-4122552

Victoria-Beckham.jpg

Reckless has a nice website -- just before you leave from Europe - you can see what they currently have in stock, click any items you may want and click "in-store" pick up, and they will hold them for you. 

Also like Heartbreak said, they can probably order anything they don't have in stock. I know I have seen the below used in their stores.

the_grateful_dead_alive_again-293x307.jpGrateful_Dead_-_Beyond_Description_(1973