• Replies 996
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, I heard the Wall of Sound at my first GD show, holds a special place in my heart.  But seriously, the sound was awesome and I've never noticed anything with the vocals in any of the shows I've heard, or in the GD movie which I've watched and listened to tons of times.

Catching up on some of the previous discussions about suggested shows/eras, I suggest anything from '73. My favorite single year.  If you can get the Winterland '73 box, get it.  Or see if you can still download Mile High in Denver, a compilation that was posted on Hidden Track.  

As for later years, I'm all about the Hornsby shows, the September '90 MSG run (9-20 in particular) and the '91 Boston run.  And I think I read someone recommended Brent songs.  I have a different take on that; Brent could play but I never liked any of his songs.

I have always enjoyed Brent's studio versions of his tunes more than the live versions - esp. Blow Away, where the live versions I heard on tape or saw on video never appealed to me, but I enjoy the studio version.

Though, if I  witness more Brent shows, I may have a different opinion - I only saw two - the first one, he didn't sing any of his tunes and the second was his last - I don't think 'Never Trust a Woman' is a good song. 

Listening to New Haven, 4/23/83 at my desk today. I went to the show the night before, but everyone on archive.org is interested in this one. Vocals are pretty ragged, as was typical of Jerry from the early 80s on, but lots of nice guitar work. Check it out:

https://archive.org/details/gd83-04-23.set2-sbd.miller.29469.sbeok.flac16

Wow.  I do believe those were my first two shows.  Went with one group of friends the first night and came back raving; went back the next night with another group of friends.  Don't think any of us were the same since.

Good sugestion Mr heartbreak, thank you! I'll contact them as soon as I fix my travel dates

On an unrelated note, I didn't know that some ultraposh people may also like gd.  I bet it's just a pose

http://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/victoria-beckham-fan-grateful-dead-4122552

Pose or not, that Englishtown '77 show was one of my favorite boots; '77 is probably my favorite year for the Dead, period.

Other quick question, if I may. I'm a massive Hornsby fan (my primary entryway to the Dead, really). I'd always assumed that Jerry's declining health had meant his era was weak, but there must be some gems in there. Any good SBDs from the Bruce years?

I love Hornsby and I loved the way that Jerry so clearly loved playing with him.  Check the three Denver shows from December 1990.  I went to all three and really loved watching Jerry and Bruce play off each other. Especially vivid is my memory of them playing Bruce's "Valley Road" at the end of the first set on the second night, with Jerry grooving and chiming in on the backing vocals with a huge ass grin on his face.  Getting goosebumps right now just thinking about it again.  Guess I gotta give it a spin now too...

Hey, I heard the Wall of Sound at my first GD show, holds a special place in my heart.  But seriously, the sound was awesome and I've never noticed anything with the vocals in any of the shows I've heard, or in the GD movie which I've watched and listened to tons of times.

Catching up on some of the previous discussions about suggested shows/eras, I suggest anything from '73. My favorite single year.  If you can get the Winterland '73 box, get it.  Or see if you can still download Mile High in Denver, a compilation that was posted on Hidden Track.  

As for later years, I'm all about the Hornsby shows, the September '90 MSG run (9-20 in particular) and the '91 Boston run.  And I think I read someone recommended Brent songs.  I have a different take on that; Brent could play but I never liked any of his songs.

I'm with WRP on 1973. Especially the Fall Tour - imo the best GD tour ever.

A nice early West LA:

The change in Garcia's demeanor and look from 81 to 83 is crazy.  Watch Dead Ahead and then this and it's like a different person.  The head hanging down during solos, etc.  Playing was still excellent, but voice going quick.

"Valley Road" ripped with the GD. I liked the "Stander on the Mountain" too...

Stander was awesome the couple times I saw them play that one, Phil really seemed to get into it, I wish they kept both in rotation for the Hornsby years.

When I remember to do it, I like to commemorate the anniversary of Dead shows I attended by listening to them. Today it's my first Dead show from 9/23/82. Right in the middle of Lost Sailor>Saint now. I know some of you old Deadheads were there too:

https://archive.org/details/gd1982-09-23.sbd.miller.108973.flac16

I was there. I remember my Biology teacher getting down a few seats away from me to that Other One.....

Funny 'cause my first show (also New Haven but 5.11.81) was being played on gdradio.net during my lunch/planning yesterday....