Since opening day is right around the corner I think it is best we start a new thread, and what better way to start a new thread then predictions.  Or in my case an overestimate of how well the Cubs will do this year.  

So here goes:

AL East

1) Red Sox

2) Oriels

3) Blue Jays

4) Tampa

5) Yankees

AL Central

1) Tigers

2) Royals

3) Indians

4) White Sox

5) Twins

AL West

1) Mariners

2) Angles

3) Athletics

4) Rangers

5) Astros 

NL East

1) Nationals

2) Marlins

3) Mets

4) Braves

5) Phillies

NL Central

1) Cardinals

2) Cubs

3) Pirates

4) Brewers

5) Reds

NL West

1) Dodgers

2) Giants

3) Padres

4) Rockies

5) D-Backs

Playoffs

AL Wildcard

Oriels over Angles

NL Wildcard

Cubs over Marlins

ALDS

Red Sox over Oriels

Mariners over Tigers

NLDS

Nationals over Cubs 

Dodgers over Cards

ALCS

Mariners over Red Sox

NLCS

Nationals over Dodgers

World Series

Mariners win in 7 games.  

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seriously - White Sox in 4th - wow.

Interesting how the Cubs handled Bryant, between that and the renovations, the Cubs seem to be on shaking ground heading into the season, from a front office perspective - but both Chicago teams should be fun to watch this year, for a change.

(haven't been following it close enough to come up with any predictions.)

NL West

1) Dodgers

2) Giants

3) Padres

4) Rockies

5) D-Backs

Poor old Rockies.  I can't decide if I'm more apprehensive about how little was invested to renew our decrepit bullpen, or how freaking good both of the California teams are right now.  A few years ago I decided for no reason to hate the Diamondbacks, which is good because I get to watch the Rockies beat them with some frequency.  Beyond that I just have to see if jokers like the Mets or the Rays come to town to watch a home field win.  NL West is formidable, and CO owners are cheapskates.

Seriously - White Sox in 4th - wow.

Interesting how the Cubs handled Bryant, between that and the renovations, the Cubs seem to be on shaking ground heading into the season, from a front office perspective - but both Chicago teams should be fun to watch this year, for a change.

(haven't been following it close enough to come up with any predictions.)

really?

because other than scott boras and the players union (heavily biased sources) ive not seen a single person claim the cubs are making a mistake with bryant

two weeks of 23 year old bryant for a full year of 29 year old bryant, especially when that full year will likely be in a season the cubs are better positioned to contend? theyd be out of their minds to even consider that trade. he'll be up the second they lock in that age 29 season. 

not saying the systems fair, but as it stands now the cubs made the absolute right move for the team

really?

because other than scott boras and the players union (heavily biased sources) ive not seen a single person claim the cubs are making a mistake with bryant

two weeks of 23 year old bryant for a full year of 29 year old bryant, especially when that full year will likely be in a season the cubs are better positioned to contend? theyd be out of their minds to even consider that trade. he'll be up the second they lock in that age 29 season. 

not saying the systems fair, but as it stands now the cubs made the absolute right move for the team

Exactly.  It would be a different situation if the Cubs were truly poised to win this year (if I am truly honest the Wild Card is a huge long shot this year).  So Bryant is not going to be with the Cubs for like 9 games?  So would rather go 3-6 without Bryant in 9 games (5-4 with him?) in 2015 or have him for a full year when he is 29?  It is a no brainier, anyone who thinks the Cubs made a mistake is just foolish.  

Agreed the Wrigley Field Renovations are a disaster.  But to blame the front office on it is misguided as well.  Factors include a winter where you couldn't do as much construction as needed, a proactive fight with the rooftop owners, and the Mayoral race.  These all lead to construction issues.  IMO they should have forgone Wrigley all together this year and split their home games between Milwaukee and the Cell.  

I don't have a problem with the handling of Bryant - I just happen to read a an article in the Trib this morning, where Bryant said he isn't happy about it (and I do realize there is no crying in baseball) - I realize it was a business decision - and probably the right one. He has definitely proven himself, from a hitting perspective, at least, this spring, to make the team on opening day, though.

Looking forward to attending Opening Day at U.S. Cellular next Friday, and (more importantly) meaningful games in September.  It's Spring.  Hope Springs Eternal.

he can be unhappy all he wants but when he gets the call, whether its opening day or two weeks later, hes gonna play his ass off till free agency and then go to the best deal. if its not in chicago it wont be because of a two week minor league stint half a decade ago. people saying otherwise are just desperate for column material

i do think this will be something the union fights hard to change in the next cba, but as things stand its the right move

I've got a good feeling about my Phightin' Phils this year.

a good feeling they just might hit the century mark in the Loss column. but hey, the could go  0-162 this year, they will still be my team!

i see the Cubs winning 82-86 games, depending on the starting pitching. 86 could be enough to get them a wildcard,

Would not be surprised if they made a push for Hamels depending on how the first half goes.

Enjoy Opening Night!

• 2 weeks later...

Since opening day is right around the corner I think it is best we start a new thread, and what better way to start a new thread then predictions.  Or in my case an overestimate of how well the Cubs will do this year.  

So here goes:

AL East

1) Red Sox

2) Oriels

3) Blue Jays

4) Tampa

5) Yankees

You seem to be right on the money with the Yankees! They have been painful to watch so far this season.

This is the first true rebuilding year for my Braves in over two decades. I like that they fired Frank Wren, the GM, after last season, and decided to blow the whole thing up. Despite the fact that Jason Heyward was my favorite player on the team, I understood that trade as well as the others. What Wren was doing wasn't working and wasn't going to work. Hopefully by the time the team moves to its new suburban stadium (which I am not a fan of) it will be competitive once again. For Braves fans who found the team any time after 1991, this will be a true test. They don't know what it feels like to be uncompetitive. Gotta keep the faith.

The Sox game is going to be on TV today.  That should be something to see.

LouieB

Yeah definitely --- too bad it's a 1pm game - I will be stuck at work. 

One funny thing I did read in a Tweet about the whole situation --- and the only thing -- is that the Umpires will probably be able to hear Hawk Harrelson complain about them if the booth window is open, while he is calling the game and not afterwards...

(For the last couple of years, at least - Hawk has been fined and reprimanded for calling out the umpires).

He's insufferable to endure for an entire game (read: inning) (read: at-bat), anyway.

I know, I know --- but I enjoy him  ---  I find him amusing, in a weird sort of old insufferable/ cranky uncle kind of  way.

I just read that (not surprisingly) the Orioles were flooded with media requests for this game.  No fans, but 92 members of the media will be in attendance.

Hawk Harrelson is a horrible announcer. Time for him to retire.

I saw that the game is at one, but the TV listing also indicated it was in the evening as well. Not sure what the real time is. It could be a double header?

LouieB