• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i can't remember a better Home Run Derby.. entertaining, competitive, and well produced.

Love love love the new format - no outs!

hometown hero, indeed.

• 2 weeks later...

Made an unexpected trip to SoCal to visit my kids and grandson. Currently sipping a $13 Firestone Walker DBA in the shady seats at the Angels -Rangers game. Mike Trout is a beast and cracked a homer during his first at bat.

I just want someone to recognize that yesterday the Broncos beat the Bengals 17 to 7!!  17 points.  They still want me to believe.

Fixed it for you, I think you had the wrong sport.  Cause 17 to 7 is ridiculous for a baseball game.  And I don't want a team coming off a 17 run game to play my slumping Cubbies.  

Your Cubbies could be the way we get the Rox back on top of the Diamond Backs and the slumping Padres.

But don't worry, even if the Rockies can maintain competence (fingers crossed) the Cubs get to play the Brewers after that.  Really a pretty easy couple of series for Chicago.

Your Cubbies could be the way we get the Rox back on top of the Diamond Backs and the slumping Padres.

But don't worry, even if the Rockies can maintain competence (fingers crossed) the Cubs get to play the Brewers after that.  Really a pretty easy couple of series for Chicago.

I would agree, but getting swept by the Phils this weekend was not in the plans.  

Colorado Rockies send Troy Tulowitzki & LaTroy Hawkins (added in the press after trade was announced 15 min ago) to Toronto Blue Jays for Jose Reyes & RHP Miguel Castro (added in the press after trade was announced 1hr ago).

I'm not too sure how this really helps either team. It must be a money dump. The big word on the street was that Toronto needed pitching. This reminds me of the Red Sox in 04 trading away Nomar. Tulo is the face of the franchise. I'm not sure how the people in Colorado will react to this news. Will they move Reyes this week for some minor leaguers? Or will they trade SS prospect Trevor Story? Will Tulo like playing on turf? Can Castro be the steal of the deadline?

I was sad to see Victorino go, but I knew that the Sox have to be sellers again. He had a very emotional press conference. This Rutledge kid looks like he'll get some playing time at 2B with Pedroia being out and he might be a utility back up if they trade Brock Holt. Yeah, Napoli seems the most logical piece to be moved next. In fact, I thought that he threw his helmet onto home plate knowing that he had to catch a flight out of Boston. ;)

Colorado Rockies send Troy Tulowitzki & LaTroy Hawkins (added in the press after trade was announced 15 min ago) to Toronto Blue Jays for Jose Reyes & RHP Miguel Castro (added in the press after trade was announced 1hr ago).

That was quick.  Tulo goes 0 for 5 with an RBI and then immediately gets traded.  What a weird game last night against the Cubbies.  

I do love Hawkins though (though he was often a dumpster fire).  Every time his name comes up I love to tell my favorite Latroy Hawkins story.  

Back in 2004 or 2005 he was pitching for the Cubs.  At one point, as so often was the case at that time, Kerry Wood was either hurt or on the DL.  So in one game that summer in the six or seventh inning, Pat Hughes and the Late Great Ron Santo were in the booth, calling the game, chatting as normal (probably about chocolate cake).  Then Ronnie gets all excited when he looks down the third base line at the bull pen and exclaimes, "Oh my god Kerry Wood is warming up!  Kerry Wood!"  To that Pat Hughes, simply deadpans and says, "No, Ron that is Latroy Hawkins."  

God, Ron Santo was awesome.  

Oakland sends Ben Zobrist to K.C. for some unnamed pitchers.

I'm sensing a Royals-Giants rematch. Anyone else?

I thought he would have been a good fit for the Cubs.  

I think the Cubs will remain quiet this trade deadline (it is not the popular thing to do, but the right one), get some guys during the waiver period and make a couple of big moves this offseason.  

It looks like Papelbon is headed to Washington. Not 100% official yet, but almost done. That's an interesting within the division trade that I've ever seen. I guess Toronto didn't have what Philly wanted? (EDIT 6p.m. EST) I guess the hold up in the trade is having it in writing that Papelbon will be closing for the Nationals. I'm not sure how Drew Storen likes this potential news, but it won't be bad to have a setup man with 29 saves under his belt this season. 

Royals DFA Joe Blanton to make room for Cueto. Edwin Jackson was DFAd last week by the Cubs. Wonder who will pick up these types of pitchers?

Yeah! The Red Sox really need to trade Koji. There's no point in keeping him, if they continue to go on 8 game losing streaks. I do wish that they resigned Andrew Miller in the offseason, but now they'll have to scramble to find a new closer at some point.

Asking Price? I don't know, man. Dombrowski is looking to add more pitching. Mike Leake is on his radar.