I don't know - I thought the show was pretty damn good -- Trey started to open up a bit and Weir sang great -- definitely had some flubs and some of the tunes kinda petered out at the end, though. Hornsby was way down in the mix - which was a shame. The drummers were on, too. Looking forward to tonight.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks A-Man for the link, you made my afternoon! It took a while for the boys to warm up but overall pretty good imho.

I found this

Grateful Dead - GD50 Set Break Video - 6-27-15 - Music by Neal Casal

"The hour-long break between sets seemed all about nostalgia. As vintage images of the Grateful Dead -- curated in part by Bill Kreutzmann’s son -- were projected to a soundtrack composed by noted Phil Lesh/Chris Robinson Brotherhood/Hard Working Americans guitarist and longtime head Neal Casal"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhqvBS-hiC4&feature=youtu.be

Don't know how long this will stay up -

GD (6/27/2015 1st Set)

Really enjoying this, thanks for posting. I'm a rare casual fan and know next to nothing about Phish. My impressions so far are that Trey sometimes sounds a helluva lot like Jerry, other times nothing at all like him. All in all, it sounds like most of the live Dead in my collection.

Thanks A-Man for the link, you made my afternoon! It took a while for the boys to warm up but overall pretty good imho.

I found this

Grateful Dead - GD50 Set Break Video - 6-27-15 - Music by Neal Casal

"The hour-long break between sets seemed all about nostalgia. As vintage images of the Grateful Dead -- curated in part by Bill Kreutzmann’s son -- were projected to a soundtrack composed by noted Phil Lesh/Chris Robinson Brotherhood/Hard Working Americans guitarist and longtime head Neal Casal"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhqvBS-hiC4&feature=youtu.be

That setbreak music was one of the highlights for me. Sounded like Dead or Jerry Band studio outtakes. Real good stuff. Show was ok. Nothing to great or terrible. 

Thanks for the info on the set break music.  That was the highlight of the night.  

IMHO, Trey Anastasio does not play lead solos anymore.  He plays little riffs and lines.  He's been doing that since 1997 after the Talking Heads Halloween cover.  Trey hardly hits notes with any intensity anymore.  Kind of a 'going through the motions' way of playing.  So, last night, I couldn't help but fantasize about 1994 Trey ripping into some wicked solo at the beginning of the UJB Dm part near the end.  Can you imagine?  Now he just stands up there and plays notes or some cliche jam band rhythm guitar.  

I'm listening to the Loser from tonight.  Are kidding me?  Trey has absolutely no presence.  Poor Bruce is relegated to the side, low in the mix and just wondering what's going on.  Weir is trying to the run the show with his little elongated crescendo etc.  Phil, of course, is nailing it.  Billy and Mickey are sounding like Keith Moon at snails pass high on codeine.  Don't even get me started with Trey constantly looking at Bob wondering what the hell is going on.  There's an audible sigh of relief when a song finally finishes.  Not to mention the transitions, lyrical flubs and horrible harmonies.  Oh, and starting slow and quiet and then getting slower and quieter does not make for good dynamics. 

I hate to say it, this is kind of embarrassing.  

Right now it's Row Jimmy, Bob singing!  WTF, Bruce was made to sing this song.

Trey has a tendency to be hesitant and deferential when sitting in with bands. Seems to be the case here, especially with this band being so uncertain. He needs to take the lead more, rather than let Bobby steer the ship. Warren Haynes would have no problem doing that, but it would've become the Warren Haynes show. Highlights of the first set were Alabama Getaway with Trey singing lead, and Hell in a Bucket, when Bob tried to end it but Trey just ignored him and kept on ripping. Trey is more engaged and energetic when singing, like on Cream Puff War last night. They need to let Trey and Bruce sing more. Let Bobby sing Bobby songs, he's great at those. Don't like the way he sings Jerry tunes. Oh fuck, they just started drums. Can't fast forward...

Only stayed up for the 1st set - the Black Peter was pretty dreadful. Enjoyed the 1st night better, at least thus far.  I agree that the Bucket and Getaway were the highlights.

(I do hope that they get more practice in before the Chicago shows)

Above, I was a bit harsh.  What I miss in this incarnation are stand out solos.  This run so far is just verse, chorus, noodle repeat.  At least with Warren he would actually play a melodic, coherent solo between verses etc.  As I said before, Trey doesn't' do that anymore.  They just groove in his band(s) and that's what they're doing here.  What the boys have lost is that lead guitar player.  Without that it's just MOR grooving music.  Garcia at least took the music somewhere.  Bruce could, but he seems to be just sitting in.  

This being such a huge deal with so much hype, I'm really surprised the band didn't hire some sort of musical director to pull shit together and force the band to have cue sheets indicating who solos where.  Then let those arrangements lead to the jamming.  I mean, that's how we do it my GD cover band.  DSO does that.  I guess the boys just kind of stumbled upon that and don't really understand it's gone?  Not sure.  I will say that the buzz around all this GD stuff is kind of fun.

Only stayed up for the 1st set - the Black Peter was pretty dreadful. Enjoyed the 1st night better, at least thus far.  I agree that the Bucket and Getaway were the highlights.

(I do hope that they get more practice in before the Chicago shows)

I have not heard or found the full show - but I did see a video from far away of Hell In Bucket. It sounded like Trey cut loose on that one. 

I have not heard or found the full show - but I did see a video from far away of Hell In Bucket. It sounded like Trey cut loose on that one. 

Yeah he definitely did - Phil and Bobby were trying to que him to stop - but Trey had his head down and he kept going - Phil just laughed...Trey definitely needs to do that more.

Thus far, I am pretty disappointed in Bruce's role -- they are definitely under-utilizing him.

Bob only sang 4 "Bob" songs last night. I'm sure most of us prefer Jerry tunes, but wish Bob would sing more of his own, and let Trey and Bruce handle more of the singing duties. And no Estimated Prophet in CA on a Sunday is fucking stupid. Playing was better last night, not crazy about the setlist. Seems they're saving the best songs for Chicago. Hope they rehearse them in the meantime. 

Never in my wildest dreams would I have hoped for a set list like Saturday night. I'm still trying to wrap my head around it.

When they closed with Viola I just about pissed myself with joy. LOL

Sunday was MUCH more song based, and more coherent - still, that first night. WOW.

I just watched the pro shot versions of Bucket and Alabama on YouTube on my phone while waiting to catch a flight. Trey ignoring Bobby was the highlight for me. Possibly the most plodding version of Bucket ever played. Props to Trey for bringing the energy level up.