• Replies 994
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Definitely had a rough last couple of years. Was a very interesting, smart guy. Glad he was able to put up with Weir and write some great tunes.

Message from his Electronic Frontier Foundation.

http://electronic frontier foundation

Definitely not a good way to start a new thread...

Parrish tells some nice stories about Barlow on the above radio show, too. I guess Barlow and John Kennedy were friends. Of all the people in the GD cirlce - I think Barlow has to be the most known and influential outside the Dead circle. 

Crazy that him and Weir got hooked up in their youth.

0112.jpg

A cowboy turned Harvard dropout turned India vagabond turned Millbrook resident with Leary turned coke dealer turned Grateful Dead lyricist turned political activist (and Cheney supporter) turned internet pioneer. The guy did alright.

Don't forget ladies' man.

According to the below he managed Cheney's first electoral campaign. Crazy -- guessing they shared the same libertarian/anti-big goverment beliefs. 

Didn't know he was inolved with Burning Man, too.

https://burners.me/tag/john-perry-barlow/

Yeah, he was a repub for quite a while.

Regarding 9.11.73 -- I have never been a huge fan of Weather Report Suite and think the horns added much to the 9/11/17 version. Nice Dark Start, too --- the Phil outro into Morning Dew is great.

Always nice to hear a Let Me Sing Your Blues Away - dig the horns on that one, too.

Speaking of Doug Sahm - saw that there is a doc. on Netflix or Amazon - need to check that out. I know very little about him, actually nothing, except the Tupelo cover.

Speaking of docs. - yesterday I watched Orange Sunshine: the story of the Brotherhood of Eternal Love on Amazon Prime -- nice flick. Some Dead references, throughout.

Man they made alot of LSD.

Speaking of docs. - yesterday I watched Orange Sunshine: the story of the Brotherhood of Eternal Love on Amazon Prime -- nice flick. Some Dead references, throughout.

There was a big chunk of the Denver lab that is missing from the doc (they moved the lab out here when the heat was on out on the coast). I met a kid (young 30s? at a local GD bar a couple weeks back who's dad worked in the lab at the house. He had some interesting things to...share.

There was a big chunk of the Denver lab that is missing from the doc (they moved the lab out here when the heat was on out on the coast). I met a kid (young 30s? at a local GD bar a couple weeks back who's dad worked in the lab at the house. He had some interesting things to...share.

Makes sense - one of the main organizers was living in Lyons, CO when the Fed's finally caught up with him.

Thanks for the heads up! Definitely will have to check that one out.