• Replies 994
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm acting like we were fighting.

I'm bored.

Ha!

Hey, did ya'll see this new collection? I've always thought the music was all down hill after Jerry & Sarah, anyway...:

:http://jerrygarcia.com/before-the-dead-a-new-collection-exploring-garcias-early-years/

I have some of this stuff on cassettes but to hear clean up versions will be awesome.

I've watched parts of all the "duo" shows and have a mixed reaction. While I appreciate the concept of it it and have enjoyed parts of it, overall it's a slight train wreck. A lot of it is just really sloppy, imo. I realize this is in tune with the GD's ethos, in a sense, but the stripped down stuff doesn't necessarily translate too well, for me, in the non-rehearsed category. Also, they have a shit-ton of tunes between them that span over 50 yrs, yet are playing the same tunes after 2-3 shows. Minor gripe. I love that they are playing together but some of it has been cringe-worthy to my ears. 

I don't think you can complain about it being sloppy AND repeating too many songs. Are you saying you'd like more unrehearsed train wrecks?

Anywho, you can listen to last night's show here. Having trouble hearing Phil's bass very well:

https://www.jambase.com/article/full-show-audio-larry-campbell-teresa-williams-join-bob-weir-phil-lesh-boston

But the strange this is - not all of the vocals are double tracked. 

"Sugar magnolia, blossoms blooming, head's all empty and I don't care" - double tracked 

"Saw my baby down by the river," - single voice.

"Knew she had to come up soon for air" - double tracked

my thought process was - because they switch between two voices and one, it probably would be easier to have Jerry singing alongside him instead of double tracking?

I know they were working on the harmonies a lot during this period, so you might be right. I just didn't think Jerry (or Phil) could get his vocals that high - pitch wise.

I don't think you can complain about it being sloppy AND repeating too many songs. Are you saying you'd like more unrehearsed train wrecks?

Anywho, you can listen to last night's show here. Having trouble hearing Phil's bass very well:

https://www.jambase.com/article/full-show-audio-larry-campbell-teresa-williams-join-bob-weir-phil-lesh-boston

No, I would not like more unrehearsed train wrecks. Why can't I complain about sloppiness AND too many repeats? It's a minor gripe, really. I was texting with a member here last night and it's kind of a carry-over from that...the non-rehearsed feel/sloppiness thing. Some of the Larry Campbell stuff I heard last night (I had video but was only listening) sounded really clanky and out of tune. Anyway, it's still a cool concept.

No, I would not like more unrehearsed train wrecks. Why can't I complain about sloppiness AND too many repeats? It's a minor gripe, really. I was texting with a member here last night and it's kind of a carry-over from that...the non-rehearsed feel/sloppiness thing. Some of the Larry Campbell stuff I heard last night (I had video but was only listening) sounded really clanky and out of tune. Anyway, it's still a cool concept.

Being in the audience last night for my one and only show of this tour, I didn't experience any train wreck cringe worthy moments. Perhaps they were there and I just missed them while being immersed in the entirely fantastic gestalt of being inside the Wang. But if there were any last night, they couldn't have been too major to escape my notice. Then again, I was psyched for this show like I haven't been for a GD related show in years. As I was getting things in order at home to leave, my wife said to me "Boy you are psyched. I can just feel the energy molecules emanating from your body." I was feeling it inside for sure, for the first time in decades I had that pre-Grateful Dead energy psych surge, but had no idea how much of that was coming out until she said that. I hadn't seen Phil in years, so I think that was a lot of it. I must say there were moments during the show, especially during UJB, where my eyes got watery watching Bobby and Phil and thinking of all the years and all the shows and how this could be the last time I see them.  

Being in the audience last night for my one and only show of this tour, I didn't experience any train wreck cringe worthy moments. Perhaps they were there and I just missed them while being immersed in the entirely fantastic gestalt of being inside the Wang. But if there were any last night, they couldn't have been too major to escape my notice. Then again, I was psyched for this show like I haven't been for a GD related show in years. As I was getting things in order at home to leave, my wife said to me "Boy you are psyched. I can just feel the energy molecules emanating from your body." I was feeling it inside for sure, for the first time in decades I had that pre-Grateful Dead energy psych surge, but had no idea how much of that was coming out until she said that. I hadn't seen Phil in years, so I think that was a lot of it. I must say there were moments during the show, especially during UJB, where my eyes got watery watching Bobby and Phil and thinking of all the years and all the shows and how this could be the last time I see them.  

I hear you and, honestly, am not trying to take anything away from anyone or diminish the beauty of those two playing together. I was invited to go to the first night at RCMH by my younger brother who had like 8th row center seats but couldn't swing it from CO. I watched what I could of it (was on a double date night) and it really brought back some great memories and yeah, I got a little teary, as well.

I'm glad you had a great time being able to see the show live in a small, neat theater...

You can complain about whatever no matter how contradictory those things are. And there will always be another Deadhead to tell you how wrong you are. Part of the fun of being a Deadhead.

Said no Islander fan ever. 

Ha! Hilarious! I grew up an Islanders fan. We lived in Merrick, about 15 minutes away from the brand new Coliseum. I was in jr. high when they started ('71-72 season?) and my dad and an uncle got seasons tickets. Years of lousy teams. I had moved to Boston in September '79, but was home in Merrick when they won that first cup in '80. 

Ha! Hilarious! I grew up an Islanders fan. We lived in Merrick, about 15 minutes away from the brand new Coliseum. I was in jr. high when they started ('71-72 season?) and my dad and an uncle got seasons tickets. Years of lousy teams. I had moved to Boston in September '79, but was home in Merrick when they won that first cup in '80. 

Younger brother lived close by in Floral Park for a bunch of years (lives in Bronx, now). Both close to Amityville. The horror!

I'm really happy to read these reports and see that true Deadheads like you guys are enjoying these shows. I felt like I was being a "Debbie Downer" for my earlier comments "Dave Downer?"), but they were sincere.

Part of it may be the live experience vs. watching a video or listening to a file...and that's fine. I've seen many Deadheads online rave about shows from the latter half of the Dead's 30-year run, and when I check out the recording, I'm like, "You gotta be fucking kidding." And then I go right back to my comfort zone (mainly pre-hiatus, with a little '77 and some JGB thrown in). But if you're at a show, you're at a show. Salud.

Was the "texting" comment in reference to me? Just curious.

AHA!  :thumbup

Well, I haven't heard all of the run but that Playin' from Night 1 Chicago was FOR REAL.

First time listening to this audience recording from 3/16/94. Rosemont sound sucks - but this recording is not that bad at all. Had a soundboard forever - but it always sounded real flat and lifeless.

https://archive.org/details/gd1994-03-16.140065.fob-mk4.ebel.flac1644/19SugarMagnolia.flac

Sounds good, but not as good as being 3rd row right in front of Jerry for the show. YAHOO!!!!! Actually, sound even sucked from there that night, but that didn't stop it from being an amazing show. 

Sounds good, but not as good as being 3rd row right in front of Jerry for the show. YAHOO!!!!! Actually, sound even sucked from there that night, but that didn't stop it from being an amazing show. 

This was my 1st time seeing the band inside - I had seat even with stage - up high, stage left. A great prespetive on the drums. It was a fun show. 

No truer words were ever said.  :thumbup

Actually, everything about that shithole sucks, in my opinion. I went there one time - 4/13/88, and never ever went back. Which means I missed another 10 shows just a 3 hour drive away, but I could not stand that place. 

No truer words were ever said.  :thumbup

Actually, everything about that shithole sucks, in my opinion. I went there one time - 4/13/88, and never ever went back. Which means I missed another 10 shows just a 3 hour drive away, but I could not stand that place. 

Yeah - Chicago has pretty crap large scale venues --- I live 10 minutes from the World Music Theater - I went there for a show for the 1st time in over 20 years this past summer -- it sounded the same as it did back then.