• Replies 994
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was listening to 3/16/73 last night. Solid show. It cracked me up when Bobby starts chiding the crowd for throwing joints onstage. He says something like "Isnt that stuff expensive?"

Just another reason to love the GD.

Was watching bits of the Veneta '72 show the other night, and I have a new theory about Naked Pole Guy. 

It's obviously a time-travelling Iggy Pop. Why time-travellilng? Because NPG is obviously NOT the 1972 version of Iggy Pop. He's the 2014 version.

Was watching bits of the Veneta '72 show the other night, and I have a new theory about Naked Pole Guy. 

It's obviously a time-travelling Iggy Pop. Why time-travellilng? Because NPG is obviously NOT the 1972 version of Iggy Pop. He's the 2014 version.

Did you note his ascension song?

Gimme Danger?

Ha! We (used to) call my step son Iggy Pop (his mom did,m too, so). At 14, he's filling out a bit, but he still gets it from time to time.

China Cat is the answer, though. That's a good ways away from Dark Star, too...

• 2 weeks later...

I have just the official mp3s of this one, not the physical CDs.  Good stuff, for sure, especially the short country and rock 'n' roll songs.  Great tone and playing from Jerry and just a spryness to them in the tempos.  Billy is playing good!

I wonder if JG ever tsk tsked Bobby about his same China>Rider transition chords that he does in just about every version I've heard from the early 70s. 

Even in the transcendental version from the 6/26/74 show opener, Bobby falls into his same routine.

Speaking of Bobby, there was a John Barlow tribute show at his Stillwater last night (link below for vids/details). I can't find a clip now, but Weir busted out a STFU to chatters art the bar during a Q&A/story-telling segment of it....

https://www.jambase.com/article/pro-shot-full-show-video-john-perry-barlow-tribute-sweetwater-includes-bob-weir-members-ratdog

At least it's a great routine -- always loved those licks.

Yep.

I wonder if JG ever tsk tsked Bobby about his same China>Rider transition chords that he does in just about every version I've heard from the early 70s. 

Even in the transcendental version from the 6/26/74 show opener, Bobby falls into his same routine.

It's a country-rock guitar clinic. Tossing out every lick. China>Rider was never the same after it returned in 77. Sad.