Tweedy — 1 December 2018, Chicago, IL (The Hideout)

Don't have time to sit down and write much of a detailed report just this second, but basically this was a relative rarity in the Wilco world — namely, a "secret" show.

To commemorate the release of Jeff's new solo record Warm on Friday, it had been announced that there would be some sort of live performance that would be webcast the following evening. Whether that was to be at the Loft or an actual venue and before a public audience or not was left a mystery, one that was finally resolved when an announcement went out across social media at 4 p.m. on Saturday that the Tweedy band would be performing a free, first-come, first-served show that evening at Chicago's intimate and beloved Hideout (capacity: around 200).

So it was that a few lucky souls, myself included, got to be present for the first full-band performance of most of the songs from Warm as well as a short set by up-and-coming country folk duo Kacy & Clayton (who are currently recording at the Loft) and then a second Tweedy set consisting of a few solo songs — three from another new album (or EP?) that Jeff announced would be released sometime early next year called Warmer — and then some Tweedy band "classics."

It was a generally a fun, loose evening, especially after the webcast cameras had stopped rolling, and served as a kind of Tweedy band reunion that all of the performers (and much of the audience) seemed to really enjoy. Definitely not the most "together" performance I've ever seen that band put on, but one of the most enjoyable, just because there were so many smiles on stage. Anyway, hopefully a few other folks on here were able to make it down to the show and can chime in on some more details, like the singalong prep, etc, that I don't have time to get into right now...

For now, here was the complete Tweedy-related setlist as played:

Set 1 (performed by Tweedy band — Jeff on acoustic guitar and vocals, Spencer Tweedy on drums, Jim Elkington on electric guitar, Liam Cunningham on electric guitar and backing vocals, Darin Gray on bass):

Bombs Above>

Some Birds

Don't Forget

How Hard It Is For A Desert To Die

I Know What It's Like

Having Been Is No Way To Be

Let's Go Rain

Warm (When The Sun Has Died)

Set 2 (with performers as noted):

new song-Orphan (Jeff solo)

new song-Family Ghost (Jeff solo)

Remember The Mountain Bed (Jeff solo)

new song-Evergreen (Jeff solo)

Summer Noon (Tweedy band)

World Away (Tweedy band)

Low Key (Tweedy band with Sima Cunningham on backing vocals)

The Losing End (When You're On) [Neil Young] (Tweedy band with Sima Cunningham on backing vocals)

California Stars (Tweedy band with Sima Cunningham on backing vocals)

Give Back The Key To My Heart [Doug Sahm] (Tweedy band with Sima Cunningham on backing vocals)

Thanks bbop! Sure sounds like a fun evening. You could definitely see the smiles from the webcast, especially from Jeff. And yes, judging from Jeff’s attire, it must have been a very relaxed evening. Would love to hear more about the second half of the set.

Warm...er?!?! Nice to see that some of those mysterious other songs Jeff has been playing in 2018, that surprisingly weren't on the Warm track listing, are coming out after all. 

No, I was part of a Loft tour group and he told us then. Said he hadn't wanted to make another double album so he'd split it between 2 albums, one for now and one for Spring. :)

I heard rumours here and there, that there would be a release this Spring. Until yesterday I assumed it was another acoustic Loft Sessions, which would be great of course, but this is very exciting. Between this, the Wilco album next fall, and of course, the third Loose Fur album which is definitely happening*, 2019 is going to be a fun year.

*probably not

I heard rumours here and there, that there would be a release this Spring. Until yesterday I assumed it was another acoustic Loft Sessions, which would be great of course, but this is very exciting. Between this, the Wilco album next fall, and of course, the third Loose Fur album which is definitely happening*, 2019 is going to be a fun year.

*probably not

:cheers

Ta.

Any indication whether the remaining ‘solo’ tour shows are just JT or this band?

That’s a very good question, especially now that Spencer is apparently finished with college. I wouldn’t be surprised if it does end up being at least a partial band situation, but no firm indication either way yet...

That’s a very good question, especially now that Spencer is apparently finished with college. I wouldn’t be surprised if it does end up being at least a partial band situation, but no firm indication either way yet...

This is a very minor detail, but I noticed during the Colbert performance (& Saturday's live stream) that Spencer's kick drum has art that looks to be inspired by Let's Go Rain. When I saw that I assumed that he had it done b/c he'd be touring behind the album too.  

And re: another new album... I was just telling someone the other day how lucky I am that my favorite songwriter is so prolific. Jeff's output is so great (both in quantity and quality) & he doesn't seem to be slowing down.

How does one get a tour of the loft?

It was a charity event to raise funds for a mental health facility in Chicago. I was lucky enough to be able to join our little band of 20. The Tweedys have put on a couple of these and there may be more in the future! All monies going to great causes.

Ah yes, like when Jeff use to bring Glenn out at solo shows to play some songs as a two-piece. I bet that'd work great with Spencer.