Surprised no one has started a 2019 thread, but since it is opening day, here goes at least for predictions:

AL East

Boston Red Sox

New York Yankees

Tampa Bay Rays

Toronto Blue Jays

Baltimore Oriels

AL Central

Cleveland Indians

Minnesota Twins

Kansas City Royals

Chicago White Sox

Detroit Tigers

AL West

Houston Astros

Oakland As

LA Angles

Texas Rangers

Seattle Mariners

NL East

Philadelphia Phillies

Washington Nationals

New York Mets

Miami Marlins

Atlanta Braves

NL Central

Chicago Cubs

Milwaukee Brewers

St. Louis Cardinals

Cincinnati Reds

Pittsburgh Pirates

NL West

Colorado Rockies

LA Dodgers

Arizona Diamondbacks

San Diego Padres

San Francisco Giants

AL Playoffs

Wildcard

A's over Yankees

ALDS

Boston over As

Astros over Indians

ALCS

Astros over Boston

NL Playoffs

Wilcard

Brewers over Nationals

NLDS

Cubs over Brewers

Phillies over Rockies

NLCS

Cubs over Phillies

World Series

Cubs over Astros in 6

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Happy New Year, baseball fans.  My predictions:

NL Division Winners:  Dodgers, Brewers, Braves

NL Wildcards: Nationals, Cubs

AL Division Winners:  Astros, Indians, Yankees

AL Wildcards:  Red Sox, Twins

World Series:  Yankees over Brewers 

If the trajectory of the Brewers follows that of the Cubs then it's their turn for a ring. Which I wouldn't pissed about. There's a rivalry which keeps getting better but I don't hate 'em like I do the Cards. 

If the trajectory of the Brewers follows that of the Cubs then it's their turn for a ring. Which I wouldn't pissed about. There's a rivalry which keeps getting better but I don't hate 'em like I do the Cards. 

You already know how I'd feel about a Brewers championship!

This won't be the Braves' year, but locking up Ronald Acuna, Jr. for through his 20s is a great cornerstone (along with Freddie Freeman) to a pennant-winning team. Today was a good day for the Braves and their fans.

Tip of the hat to Laureano. Two nights in a row, both throws to nab Bogaerts. I watched both live and was stunned both times. What an arm...:
https://www.mlb.com/news/a-s-shut-out-red-sox-on-homer-amazing-throw

This one from two nights ago at the plate...looked like a tie to me:
https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/athletics/wowed-not-surprised-ramon-laureanos-throw-home-vs-red-sox

how about those Mariners! best start in franchise history. i'm dumbfounded.

Impressive.  But now the M's travel to the South Side to take on the mighty White Sox! :) 

• 4 weeks later...

Nice to see both Chicago teams playing decent ball, as of late. Also, great to see Tim Anderson winning the AL Player of the Month.

Hopefully the White Sox will get over the .500 hump this weekend. 

That sure was a weird game at Wrigley today. 15 innings, 5+ hours, it never stopped drizzling rain  but never enough to roll the tarps out. I guess you could call it a pitchers duel but not in the classic sense of the word. Both teams had A LOT of chances to win all through the last 6 innings - bases loaded, guys on third with 1 out, etc. It was like nobody WANTED to win the game. The Mrs. was yelling to just hit a HR and win the damn game. The last time she said it was when Contreras came up in the 15th and I was like, "Nobody's going yard at this point, dear. It's so wet and cold out there it's like the Dead Ball Era". I swear to God 30 seconds later Willie hit the ball out to the street. So don't EVER listen to me. LOL.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

3 and 1/2 months since there's been a post. I just punched myself in the face with my fist (after I looked at my watch and my wrist).

Christ, there have been SO many insane, spectacular things happen this year I can't even begin to list them all! Just today Nico Hoerner (who got called up Monday from AA ball - not for the 40-man, but when both Baez and Russell went down) hits a home run ON THE VERY FIRST PITCH HE SEES AT WRIGLEY. Some stat nerd should figure the odds of that one out.  :blink

Anyone feel free to chip in on anything amazing you saw happen.

Also THIS from 5.5 months ago - they were ridiculous last September if I recall. But not unlike Chicago they were pretty battered most of the year. What happened this week was fucking tragic, though. Yelich was right at the top for another  MVP award. The dude was MONEY. And well on a path to be the first player IN MLB HISTORY to be a 50 HR 30 SB guy. Think about that one. It makes me sad even though he kills my team.. That said, they still could very easily sneak in the playoffs if the Cubs continue their sporadic play

I love baseball (season ticket holder for 30+ years), but the three-outcome game currently being played (homerun, strikeout or walk) is not as much fun to watch.  Take the juice out of the damn ball -- it's gotten ridiculous.  That's it, gotta go yell at some clouds and kids playing on my front lawn.  :) 

This Braves fan is very happy with the season so far. Not sure if they can get past the Dodgers, but I'd say they're ahead of schedule in terms of their rebuild. Alex Anthopoulos should be a strong contender for exec of the year. He's done a masterful job at adding pieces to the organization's young core of talent. I was the team's biggest critic in April, but I'm happy to be eating crow on an almost nightly basis these days.

I love baseball (season ticket holder for 30+ years), but the three-outcome game currently being played (homerun, strikeout or walk) is not as much fun to watch.  Take the juice out of the damn ball -- it's gotten ridiculous.  That's it, gotta go yell at some clouds and kids playing on my front lawn.  :)

I totally agree. I have loved baseball all my life, but the game in its current state sadly just does not hold my interest.

This was a great season for my White Sox. Tim Anderson, Yoan Moncada, and Lucas Giolito all had breakout seasons. Eloy Jimenez and Dylan Cease got a season under their belts so hopefully next year they take the next step. The back end of the bullpen is pretty much as lights out as you can get. With Luis Robert and Nick Madrigal arriving next year, and Michael Kopech returning, the 2020 White Sox should be extremely fun to watch.