Very well-researched. I have become so pessimistic regarding race the last 3-5 years. This book doesn't give me much hope except that scholarship like this can work its way further into our K-12 history curriculum. I am a history major and middle school social studies teacher for the last 27 years and there is still so much for me to learn. 

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/25898216-stamped-from-the-beginning

Thanks for the rec, looks like an interesting read ---- just put it on hold at my library -- though having a hard copy on the shelf may be more apt. 

It would be great if the US could get behind a requirement for every kid to take a Black History and a Black Literature class in high school (or at the very least, colleges)  -- though I don't see that happening in the foreseeable future. 

I was history major with a minor in English ---- the Black history/literature courses I took were great and very eye-opening. Other than actually befriending members of a different race/culture -- the only way to come to an understanding of things, is to read about it and study it. 

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I tend to alternate between fiction and non-fiction, as well as between books that make me focus on today's social storm and those that are a break from it.

That said, here's what I am currently reading:

51+ID6sEpPL._SX327_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I read that a while back. I'll tell you what I thought about it after you are finished.                                                                                                                                                                                  

I bought a bunch of books recently. It may be a while before I get to them.

Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young: The Wild, Definitive Saga of Rock's Greatest Supergroup

Long Distance Voyagers: The Story of the Moody Blues 1965-1979

Up Jumped the Devil: The Real Life of Robert Johnson

Deep Purple: Wait for the Ricochet: The Story of Deep Purple In Rock

The Road of Golden Dust (Deep Purple)

Smoke on the Water: The Deep Purple Story

Woodstock: The Oral History, 40th Anniversary Edition (Excelsior Editions)

Hard to Handle: The Life and Death of the Black Crowes--A Memoir

My Nook (2nd one) is starting to go. I bought an Amazon Fire Tablet the other day. I have yet to do e-books in it yet though.

I read that a while back. I'll tell you what I thought about it after you are finished.                                                                                                                                                                                  

I bought a bunch of books recently. It may be a while before I get to them.

I'm about halfway through the Larson book so I'll check back.

I'd love to hear what you think.  My dad is a big Churchill guy and thought it was well done.  

I tend to alternate between fiction and non-fiction, as well as between books that make me focus on today's social storm and those that are a break from it.

That said, here's what I am currently reading:

I frequently alternate between fiction and non-fiction as well. I read this one back in April. I love his writing.

If there has been a silver lining to having COVID-19, it is the number of books that I have had the time to read. I have read north of 25 books since I came down with symptoms on March 21st. I recommend the new Anne Tyler book (Redhead by the Side of the Road) for those who like her writing style.

As you all have likely read, some people who are symptomatic (5%, 10%?) have symptoms that wax and wane for months. I have been on a roller coaster of symptoms since 3/21. Upward trajectory for sure, and at this rate I figure I will be symptom free in a month or so. Then I'll be back to my regular reading habits of a book every two weeks or so.

Wear a mask, give yourself space from others, wash your hands, avoid long periods inside with others who are not in your bubble. Do your very best to not get this dastardly virus.

• 3 weeks later...

Analogman - love your take on The Splendid and the Vile.

I'll say, I liked it quite a bit.  I appreciate that it was focused one a single year and that it focused on the details and the people rather than just the big picture.  

Aha - I didn't need to know about the underwear. LOL. Anyhow - I guess I had high expectations - I was thinking Devil in The White City. But the Churchill book was not that. I think you are right though. It's a look behind the curtain. And you find out who was sleeping with who along the way.

Aha - I didn't need to know about the underwear. LOL. Anyhow - I guess I had high expectations - I was thinking Devil in The White City. But the Churchill book was not that. I think you are right though. It's a look behind the curtain. And you find out who was sleeping with who along the way.

Agree with you that there was sometimes too much inside information. 

And it's a tough task - there is so much written about Churchill/WWII/the Blitz that it is hard to come up with something fresh.

Agree with you that there was sometimes too much inside information. 

And it's a tough task - there is so much written about Churchill/WWII/the Blitz that it is hard to come up with something fresh.

I've never read anything about Churchill before. I'm sticking to rock stars books now. Since I bought a bunch of them a  while back. I have been trying to figure out a way to move the Barnes and Noble e-books I bought years ago to my Fire Tablet. But I don't think there is a way. It used to be you actually downloaded the file. And then it at some point it became just syncing your device with the what you had in your e-book account. I am still thinking about the unlimited Amazon e-book deal. I don't know if I will be reading enough e-books a month to justify spending that money.

I got into Bukowski in my late teens/early 20's -- I reach for him every now and then and to me he still holds up - esp. his poetry.

Mockingbird Wish Me Luck is still my favorite. From his later years The Last Night of the Earth Poems is up there for me. 

With regards to his On Writing book - it's mostly letters and like many authors, he harps on how he thinks the current writers' writing stink. It gets old, after a while. Though they are entertaining.

The Drinking one includes more stories and poems, plus letters - so it is a more enjoyable read. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Just finished this excellent book tonight. Highly recommended for fans of Erik Larson or anyone interested in history (specifically World War II). 

I read it this summer -- based on the recommendation of someone on this board (Maybe Oilcan Boyd).  Loved it.

• 4 weeks later...

If anyone needs an intense, fast-paced story to take your mind off the current political/pandemical situation, here's your book!

From 2017, the debut novel of Gabriel Tallent:

It's terrific, but not for the faint of heart. An abuse story.

So beautifully told...I had trouble putting it down when I needed to sleep! I'll be watching this author.

image.png