Wilco — 16 December 2019, Chicago IL (Chicago Theatre) [Winterlude Night 2 of 4]

Chicago Theater is a fantastic venue. I sat in the first row of the main balcony and was not bothered by anyone around me. LOVED the song selection. This was my sixth Wilco show and second at Chicago Theater and both of those shows have been outstanding. The room sounds great, the band seems energetic. Was also happy that they didn't play as many OTJ songs as they did when I saw them in Indy and St. Louis. The album is still growing on me and even though I really enjoy those songs live I still really enjoyed their older stuff.

Sounds like the Chicago Theater audience is similar to the audience they draw in Atlanta when they play The Fox and Chastain Park.

My last show prior to Sunday was Chastain in Atlanta. My experience both nights so far in Chicago was dreamy in comparison, especially Monday. Maybe I was lucky with proximity to people who wanted to hear the music.

In Atlanta I found out that a large contingent of people where I sat were season ticket holders at Chastain, and ironically the best show of the year there was Chicago. No wonder they were all constantly jabbering with their friends on the last show of the season.

Below is the Chicago Tribune Night 2 review -- interesting reasons for not covering Night 1 - don't remember about hearing about a band member possibly missing the opening night. I wonder if this was another reason they pushed the XRT simulcast to the last night of the run.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/music/ct-ent-wilco-chicago-theatre-review-1218-20191217-eq53zsbwhrgavinevchupbcgpq-story.html

That is interesting. Glad everything worked out, but I wonder if there's any other info on this.

In Atlanta I found out that a large contingent of people where I sat were season ticket holders at Chastain, and ironically the best show of the year there was Chicago. No wonder they were all constantly jabbering with their friends on the last show of the season.

Chastain is the kind of venue where the best show of the year is always Chicago.

The odd thing to me about my Chastain experience was that the crowd was much younger than the typical Chastain season ticket audience (wealthy people nearing or well into retirement.)  But despite the relatively younger crowd, the level of disinterest was exactly the same as the type of audience that feels they're at a wine tasting/business schmooze with ambience provided by a live band rather than at a concert. 

That is the strangest review I’ve ever read. He simultaneously seems to be saying it was awesome and terrible.

I must be missing the awesome parts of the review. Seems like the latter to me. Mentions all band members in the article except Pat.

Chastain is the kind of venue where the best show of the year is always Chicago.

The odd thing to me about my Chastain experience was that the crowd was much younger than the typical Chastain season ticket audience (wealthy people nearing or well into retirement.)  But despite the relatively younger crowd, the level of disinterest was exactly the same as the type of audience that feels they're at a wine tasting/business schmooze with ambience provided by a live band rather than at a concert. 

Ha! Great description, and sadly accurate sometimes.

I must be missing the awesome parts of the review. Seems like the latter to me. Mentions all band members in the article except Pat.

Yes, I noticed the absence of any mention of Pat. It's criminal, I love Pat's guitar work on that blonde Tele, in addition to everything else he does but particularly his guitar playing.