Well, it's finally hitting the US with a vengeance.

Universities closing and/or going to online-only instruction.

NBA season cancelled; other sports playing to empty stadiums & arenas.

Wall Street tanking - Dow down ~20% from one month ago.

And this is just the start of it "getting bad" in the US

... as predicted by everyone who wasn't a politician or media talking head

Stay safe, folks.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

For anyone in the US who is interested here is the link to order 4 free home test kits from the US government:   https://www.covidtests.gov/

I got my 2nd booster shot yesterday. I don't feel out of it this time. But there is a big knot on my arm again. I think last time it was sore for over a week.

I did a test this morning & it came back negative, yay. Still pretty weak but at least that hurdle is cleared.

As a teacher, I'm starting to worry a little. Children are disgusting, especially middle schoolers. Also, Rudy Gobert is a fucking idiot.

Yep.  I was taught that "Rudy can't fail."  But this Rudy failed.

MLS has suspended operations for 30 days. The NHL is putting suspending the season "on the table" to owners and no one has spoken out about it yet. Looks like the MLB is suspending operations as well, with an announcement coming shortly.

cool. best of luck to them. i haven't written about this here but i live in seattle. due to immune system issues  & drugs for that, i'm high risk & indeed may already have the virus. i haven't been able to get tested yet due to lack of testing kits in the US. i have some symptoms but not quite enough to hit the testing threshold. supposedly that is going to be lowered by next week. i go see doc on tuesday & am going to insist on test. if nothing else for peace of mind. i haven't felt well though & its been slowly getting worse. so, fingers crossed for vaccine. & test kits in US!

cool. best of luck to them. i haven't written about this here but i live in seattle. due to immune system issues & drugs for that, i'm high risk & indeed may already have the virus. i haven't been able to get tested yet due to lack of testing kits in the US. i have some symptoms but not quite enough to hit the testing threshold. supposedly that is going to be lowered by next week. i go see doc on tuesday & am going to insist on test. if nothing else for peace of mind. i haven't felt well though & its been slowly getting worse. so, fingers crossed for vaccine. & test kits in US!

Good luck and I hope everything will turn out ok.

cool. best of luck to them. i haven't written about this here but i live in seattle. due to immune system issues  & drugs for that, i'm high risk & indeed may already have the virus. i haven't been able to get tested yet due to lack of testing kits in the US. i have some symptoms but not quite enough to hit the testing threshold. supposedly that is going to be lowered by next week. i go see doc on tuesday & am going to insist on test. if nothing else for peace of mind. i haven't felt well though & its been slowly getting worse. so, fingers crossed for vaccine. & test kits in US!

wow, scary - hope you feel better. 

I would like to give a hearty middle finger to Lori Lightfoot. No gatherings of over 250 people. That’s the lunch period in my school. My wife’s school has over 4,500 students in it.

Chicago Public Schools clearly does not have a plan. My school has over 900 people in it. My wife's school has 5,000 people (students plus staff) in it. My school still does not have any hand sanitizer. They say there should not be any unnecessary visitors to schools, yet on Tuesday thousands of people will be entering over 500 schools that serve as polling places. What about kids that need to eat? CPS received federal funding for a waiver to do a meals on wheels program. So many districts around the country are shutting down schools. It seems Chicago Public Schools knows what the right thing to do is, they just constantly choose the other option. Me and my wife both fall into the vulnerable category (auto-immune and diabetic). I am starting to get worried (doesn't help I have major anxiety/depression) and am frankly pissed off at the response.

Chicago Public Schools clearly does not have a plan. My school has over 900 people in it. My wife's school has 5,000 people (students plus staff) in it. My school still does not have any hand sanitizer. They say there should not be any unnecessary visitors to schools, yet on Tuesday thousands of people will be entering over 500 schools that serve as polling places. What about kids that need to eat? CPS received federal funding for a waiver to do a meals on wheels program. So many districts around the country are shutting down schools. It seems Chicago Public Schools knows what the right thing to do is, they just constantly choose the other option. Me and my wife both fall into the vulnerable category (auto-immune and diabetic). I am starting to get worried (doesn't help I have major anxiety/depression) and am frankly pissed off at the response.

Interesting. Most of the Colorado districts, including mine, just declared an extended spring break 2-3 weeks starting on Monday. I feel like I'm going on the weirdest vacation ever.

My son's HS just announced they're closing down campus until April 20th and will be transitioning to online classes.  Waiting for my daughter's grade school to say something similar. (EDIT - they did.  Both kids home for over a month... yay?)  

And of course this was the week we started demo on a major home renovation project that's expected to take 5 weeks, assuming the contractors (and city inspectors) don't put things on hold.  Yay.

All our schools will be off for 3 weeks (south suburb of Chicago).

My wife, who works at the Univ. of Chicago, was told to work from home indefinitely. 

Also, I am in trades, too - never thought we would be told to shut down for a bit, but who knows.

During work happy hour today, the word came that the state of Florida closed schools for 2 weeks. Spring break starts Monday in our district. A week off with pay is something I, my wife and our teacher friends are all behind, though to be honest, we’d rather be teaching so our students won’t be disadvantaged. My district has said we are supposedly teaching online. That will cover the state law regarding required instructional hours and will keep downtown from being pissed that they’re paying us for sitting on our asses. “Develop creative, supplemental plans to entice your students to continue learning even though school is closed”  :lol  :lol What a shit show it will be, but I understand you have to say nonsense that will appease the masses.

I appreciate that there are vulnerable segments of society that need resources and special care, but it's not ebola for God's sake.

The vast majority of people will have a bit of a cough and no worse that usual annual flu.

The whole world needs to calm down a bit.

I appreciate that there are vulnerable segments of society that need resources and special care, but it's not ebola for God's sake.

The vast majority of people will have a bit of a cough and no worse that usual annual flu.

perceptions change when your area is infected. i live in seattle & have a friend in nyc who thought much the same as you. now that nyc is having a problem, the tune has changed considerably. here in seattle the number of infected is doubling every 2 days & there still aren't sufficient test kits so the number is likely to increase greatly & soon. already the hospitals & medical supplies are starting to get overwhelmed. so far, 50 restaurants have closed due to lack of business. the streets are empty, schools across the state have been ordered closed for 6 weeks to try & slow the spread. crowds of over 250 are have been banned. yes, its not ebola but that doesn't mean its not dangerous. this spreads quickly & the mortality rate among the at risk population is 10 times that of the flu. unfortunately, i'm in the at risk category & may have the virus. due to lack of supplies i haven't been able to get a test since i don't have all the symptoms. in the interest of the community i am self isolating until i find out. i am hoping i will be tested next week. if i get pneumonia it will be dangerous as my immune system is compromised. i've had it more than once. doing all i can but it may not be enough. check out some reports from italy, france & spain. iran is even worse but hard news is hard to get. the response by the federal government has been deplorable. initially all they were concerned about was the stock market. well, it appears that "strategy" has backfired. you are not alone in your beliefs but again once your space is more affected it probably will feel more real. not yelling, is very tense times for me.

We don't need panic, but we do need preparation and "flattening the curve".