• Replies 922
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi Friends - I have finally updated the Tweedy Show mp3 archive (over 2,000 song files). All files have been meticulously logged and tagged so they can be easily filtered, searched, and sorted - in iT

I appreciate the accolades, but seriously, all the real credit goes to @u2roolz. The two or three times I filled in for him really showed me how truly dedicated he’s been to this project. It’s fairly

The Tweedy Show Monday December 26 Episode 217 —Sammy welcomes the clients to The Tweedy Show.  —Susie is upset that she sees her reflection in the tv.  —“Hi, everyone! We forgot how to

Posted Images

The Tweedy Show Sunday April 5 Episode 17

# Superstition (Stevie Wonder song on the Tweedy’s jukebox)

— Susie takes a poll to see if the show should start at 9 or 9:30 CST?

Spiders (Kidsmoke)

— Jeff to Susie “tell me some more about this guy that gave you notes”

— Susie ponders if they should pick “a client” to talk to. They tried to talk to someone and they weren’t there.

— Molly Sarle joins in

I Have Always Been Here Before (Roky Erickson cover sung by Sammy)

— Jeff Garlin joins in

Reincarnation (Roger Miller cover)

— Susie asks again if they should do 9 or 9:30. Look for a poll on her IG someday soon. Maybe tomorrow.

— All The Young Dudes (Mott The Hoople) opening riff

You Are Not Alone (Mavis Staples cover)

Ripple (The Grateful Dead cover - funny singing by Jeff aborted after a few lines. It sounded like he was trying to sing it like a cowboy)

Ripple (sung by Sammy)

Very chatty show tonight with 2 separate call ins.

PLUS, they might shift the show to 9pm CST, so if you’ve been watching it live make sure to check in to see if they changed the time. And it’d be really cool if they chatted with some “clients”.

The Tweedy Show Sunday April 5 Episode 17

# Superstition (Stevie Wonder song on the Tweedy’s jukebox)

— Susie takes a poll to see if the show should start at 9 or 9:30 CST?

Spiders (Kidsmoke)

— Jeff to Susie “tell me some more about this guy that gave you notes”

— Susie ponders if they should pick “a client” to talk to. They tried to talk to someone and they weren’t there.

— Molly Sarle joins in

I Have Always Been Here Before (Roky Erickson cover sung by Sammy)

— Jeff Garlin joins in

— Susie asks again if they should do 9 or 9:30. Look for a poll on her IG someday soon. Maybe tomorrow.

— All The Young Dudes (Mott The Hoople) opening riff

You Are Not Alone (Mavis Staples cover)

Ripple (The Grateful Dead cover - funny singing by Jeff aborted after a few lines. It sounded like he was trying to sing it like a cowboy)

Ripple (sung by Sammy)

Very chatty show tonight with 2 separate call ins.

PLUS, they might shift the show to 9pm CST, so if you’ve been watching it live make sure to check in to see if they changed the time. And it’d be really cool if they chatted with some “clients”.

These recaps are great because it can be really hard to remember which episode something occurred in. I have just a couple of additions/further comments.

Jeff talked again about TV Party, the Glenn O’Brien show that ran on public access TV in New York in the late 70s-early 80s, and which Jeff thinks of as the model for The Tweedy Show. It came up in connection with the idea of having viewers call in to the show. He said it often went badly when that happened. He also expressed concern about a “client” showing their junk.

The conversation with Jeff Garlin was pure gold. They went deep fast and it was clear that they’re truly close friends. There was great warmth between Jeff G. and the whole Tweedy family. (Personally, I’d love to see more of the Tweedy’s smart, engaging friends, like Jeff Garlin and Fred Armisen. I love the unscripted, spontaneous conversation.)

Jeff played “hot buttered popcorn” on guitar which seemed to please him greatly but got little attention.

These recaps are great because it can be really hard to remember which episode something occurred in. I have just a couple of additions/further comments.

Jeff talked again about TV Party, the Glenn O’Brien show that ran on public access TV in New York in the late 70s-early 80s, and which Jeff thinks of as the model for The Tweedy Show. It came up in connection with the idea of having viewers call in to the show. He said it often went badly when that happened. He also expressed concern about a “client” showing their junk.

The conversation with Jeff Garlin was pure gold. They went deep fast and it was clear that they’re truly close friends. There was great warmth between Jeff G. and the whole Tweedy family. (Personally, I’d love to see more of the Tweedy’s smart, engaging friends, like Jeff Garlin and Fred Armisen. I love the unscripted, spontaneous conversation.)

Jeff played “hot buttered popcorn” on guitar which seemed to please him greatly but got little attention.

Ah! TV Party! I didn’t catch the name of the Public Access TV show. Thank you!

And I wasn’t sure that he was actually playing Hot Butter’s Popcorn. It sounded different on an acoustic guitar.

The Tweedy Show Monday April 6 Episode 18 (NEW 9pm CST TIME)

# Gloria (Shadows Of Knight’s cover of Van Morrison’s song on the Tweedy’s jukebox)

Someday Some Morning Sometime

— “do you remember Aydes?” Susie to Jeff

— Someday Some Morning Sometime is in the same tuning as Laminated Cat and the following song

One True Vine (w Spencer on DRUMS!)

— “Jeff, your hat is condom-esque.” - Susie

— Jeff doesn’t remember his song Hazel

Wait Up (Uncle Tupelo cover)

I Wanna Be Your Mama Again (Doug Sahm cover w Spencer on drums and Jeff gets up to move around & sing)

— Jeff strums a bit of Listen To What The Man Said (Wings)

No Matter What (Badfinger cover sung by Spencer)

— Jeff said that Jambase picked the worst performance to put on their site: Lean On Me

— “philosophy truck” - Jeff joking around that Spencer is going to start one with his philosophy degree

— “is that called a rim shot or a rim job?” - Susie

Passenger Side (w Spencer on drums)

— Sammy has a shirt on that says “Don’t Mess With Rhode Island Either”

Ripple (The Grateful Dead cover sung by Sammy w Spencer on knee slaps)

— Jeff says “hi” to Nick Offerman who is in the comments

— Jeff plays a bit of Message To Mid Bar

I Couldn’t Sing It To Your Face (Arthur Russell cover Tweedy family singalong)

— Susie talks about skipping Tuesday nights going forward, but they might skip this Wed for Seder. She tells the clients to follow along on the Shot In The Arm FB group for details. They decide to do a show this Tuesday night.

Thanks for the recap u2roolz. I think that was the best Tweedy Show yet. The one-two-three punch of Someday Some Morning Sometime -> One True Vine -> Wait Up was great. It's great seeing Jeff in a setting where he's comfortable playing his deepcuts. 

I noticed he introduced One True Vine as a song he wrote for Mavis, but I remember when it was a Sky Blue Sky b-side!! Spencer coming in out of nowhere on drums for that was fantastic. 

The Tweedy Show Monday April 6 Episode 18 (NEW 9pm CST TIME)

# Gloria (Shadows Of Knight’s cover of Van Morrison’s song on the Tweedy’s jukebox)

Someday Some Morning Sometime

— “do you remember Aydes?” Susie to Jeff

— Someday Some Morning Sometime is in the same tuning as Laminated Cat and the following song

One True Vine (w Spencer on DRUMS!)

— “Jeff, your hat is condom-esque.” - Susie

— Jeff doesn’t remember his song Hazel

Wait Up (Uncle Tupelo cover)

I Wanna Be Your Mama Again (Doug Sahm cover w Spencer on drums and Jeff gets up to move around & sing)

— Jeff strums a bit of Listen To What The Man Said (Wings)

No Matter What (Badfinger cover sung by Spencer)

— Jeff said that Jambase picked the worst performance to put on their site: Lean On Me

— “philosophy truck” - Jeff joking around that Spencer is going to start one with his philosophy degree

— “is that called a rim shot or a rim job?” - Susie

Passenger Side (w Spencer on drums)

— Sammy has a shirt on that says “Don’t Mess With Rhode Island Either”

Ripple (The Grateful Dead cover sung by Sammy w Spencer on knee slaps)

— Jeff says “hi” to Nick Offerman who is in the comments

— Jeff plays a bit of Message To Mid Bar

I Couldn’t Sing It To Your Face (Arthur Russell cover Tweedy family singalong)

— Susie talks about skipping Tuesday nights going forward, but they might skip this Wed for Seder. She tells the clients to follow along on the Shot In The Arm FB group for details. They decide to do a show this Tuesday night.

The fact that he played any of message from mid-bar is very exciting to me. Genuinely love that track. Hate will save the dolphins, Jeff.

The Tweedy Show Tuesday April 7 Episode 19

# My Sweet Lord (George Harrison song on the Tweedy’s jukebox)

Please Don’t Bury Me (John Prine cover)

— show cuts out & stops airing. When they come back Spencer mentions something about a copyright notification. He think it’s because they played the George Harrison song on the jukebox.

— everyone is sad about John Prine’s passing earlier this evening. Jeff also mentions Hal Willner who also passed away today.

— “did you ever meet John Prine?” Susie asks Jeff from one of the comments. “yes, briefly”

— “it’s a pink moon” Jeff says about the Pink Moon outside this evening

— “pink moon means vagina to me” - Susie

Pink Moon (Nick Drake cover sung by Sammy)

— Jeff says that the logo on the back of Sammy’s shorts looks like an upside down Wu-Tang logo. {I forget which festival the shorts were from}

— Sammy tends to a cut on his leg

— “it’s shin stigmata.” “cougar bites” “maybe you got wounded by some panties dropping” - some of the witty banter from Jeff & Susie while Sammy attends to his wound

— Jeff plays a bit of Television’s Marquee Moon riff

Heavy Metal Drummer

— Jeff talks about Spencer playing drums on his lap in I Am Trying To Break Your Heart. He also mentions Sammy having a full diaper and not having enough money at Wendy’s

Angel From Montgomery (John Prine cover w Spencer on drums)

Drawing From Memory

Summer’s End (John Prine cover)

Don’t Forget

— when did Spencer start playing drums?

I Shall Be Released (Bob Dylan cover sung by Sammy w Jeff & Spencer on backing vocals)

— “how much time is left?” “4 minutes” “ok. Here’s One Sunday Morning.” Jeff & Susie banter which leads Jeff to play a bit of the song. {very funny bit considering the song is 12 minutes long}

— the Tweedy family decides to take tomorrow off for Seder. They’ll return on Thursday evening.

Thanks for the recap u2roolz. I think that was the best Tweedy Show yet. The one-two-three punch of Someday Some Morning Sometime -> One True Vine -> Wait Up was great. It's great seeing Jeff in a setting where he's comfortable playing his deepcuts.

I noticed he introduced One True Vine as a song he wrote for Mavis, but I remember when it was a Sky Blue Sky b-side!! Spencer coming in out of nowhere on drums for that was fantastic.

You’re welcome! I figured I’d make something that I’d really like to have to go through all of these amazing performances and moments. Yes, that was a killer 1-2-3!

I mentioned the same thing about One True Vine over at the FB group. I don’t think Jeff forgot that it was originally a b-side. Perhaps it was written for Mavis and she obviously didn’t record it until later.

I think I’m going to use the break Wed night to revisit a few of the episodes. It’s tough to narrow it down.

Thanks, U2Roolz, for the recaps!

The Tweedys have played many new-to-me songs, and so I've started a Spotify playlist with all of the covers. In case anyone else is interested, the playlist can be found here:

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/1YVA5ge5ZAPP3wxnIvMfkK

You’re welcome! Thanks for making that cool Spotify playlist!

downisthenewup, yeah that was super cool that he attempted Message At Mid Bar! I feel like it was done around 2011 during the Winterlude. Edit: It was during the 2014 Winterlude.

Interesting that last night Jeff thought they were scheduled to play Winnipeg Folkfest like John Prine was. They were not on the lineup unveiled in March and they just played Winnipeg before everything got shut down. The concert was promoted by WPG Folkfest so maybe that's where the confusion was or maybe Jeff let slip some top secret info. The Fest isn't cancelled yet so we'll see. 

The Tweedy Show Tuesday April 7 Episode 19

— when did Spencer start playing drums?.

What was the answer to this?

Spencer played MY drums in October of 1997 when my old band played at Lounge Axe. I remember he was a toddler, but I don’t know what age he was. He seemed like he knew what to do, but didn’t have the body control to execute it.

What was the answer to this?

Spencer played MY drums in October of 1997 when my old band played at Lounge Axe. I remember he was a toddler, but I don’t know what age he was. He seemed like he knew what to do, but didn’t have the body control to execute it.

I don’t remember exactly what was said, but I do sort of recall Susie or Jeff mentioning that Spencer used to play the drums in Susie’s office at the Lounge Axe when he was extremely young. They both seemed to agree that that was probably the first time. I’m not sure how drums would fit in an office of a smallish concert venue, but that’s how I heard it.

Or it could be when he (with Jeff) used to come visit her at the Lounge Axe when she was in her office, he’d find his way to a drum set up on the stage. I haven’t gotten around to watching that one again.

The Tweedy Show Thursday April 9 Episode 20

# Express Yourself (Charles Wright & the Watts 103rd Street Rhythm Band)

— Susie talks about being nervous playing songs on the jukebox and setting off copyright notifications. Jeff mentions that it only happened when they played a Beatles song. {technically it was a George Harrison song)

— Jeff plays a bit of the “theme song” that they’ve been working on

— Jeff talks about taking his temperature and it being 2 degrees less than normal: 95

— Jeff goes to get his robe to put on

Hesitating Beauty (w Spencer on knee slaps)

— “Jeff is a good name for a chicken. Or Kevin.” - Jeff

Kamera (w Spencer on knee slaps)

— “you’ve got hair on your tits...on your shirt.” Jeff to Susie

— “what’s Jeff’s favorite Dolly Parton song? The one that you haven’t written her yet!” - Susie to Jeff

— Jeff strums the Summerteeth intro

— “what’s the hardest song that you wrote?” Susie asks Jeff one of the questions. He replies “they’re all very hard.” and starts strumming the Deeper Down intro

Summerteeth (w Spencer & Susie on the “ooh ahh”’s)

— “it’s a dreamy Italian” “it’s a creamy Italian” - misheard lyrics

— Jeff plays a bit of Monkey Mess

Whole Love (w Spencer on knee slaps & backing vocals)

— “does whole love mean your weiner?” Susie asks Jeff to which he gives an explanation as to what “whole love” means. {it’s a detective term. This was discussed in a few mags when that record was released.}

Wilco (The Song) (aborted about halfway)

— Sammy shows his bruise

Bright Phoebus (Lal & Mike Waterson cover sung by Sammy)

— “family therapy” (what does Spencer like about Sammy & vice versa)

Let The Mystery Be (Iris DeMent cover sung by Sammy)

Hold Me Anyway

— “what does Bull Black Nova mean?” Jeff explains that he’s referring to the black paint being ‘mean looking’

— Jeff plays a bit of Wings’ Listen To What The Man Said in a “name that tune” bit for Susie

— Sammy returns with a tuna sandwich

True Love Will Find You In The End (Daniel Johnston cover sung by Sammy & Jeff near the end)

I don’t remember exactly what was said, but I do sort of recall Susie or Jeff mentioning that Spencer used to play the drums in Susie’s office at the Lounge Axe when he was extremely young. They both seemed to agree that that was probably the first time. I’m not sure how drums would fit in an office of a smallish concert venue, but that’s how I heard it.

Or it could be when he (with Jeff) used to come visit her at the Lounge Axe when she was in her office, he’d find his way to a drum set up on the stage. I haven’t gotten around to watching that one again.

Lounge Axe had a basement that was failrly roomy, if memory serves. I could see a small drum kit fitting down there somewhere. In this case, my drums were set up on the floor in front of the stage while we waited for our sound check. After setting them up I was vegging out by the front window when I heard drums and turned around to see Spencer playing them, with Sue watching over him. Little moments like that can be pretty refreshing for an exhausted, d-list touring band.

Lounge Axe had a basement that was failrly roomy, if memory serves. I could see a small drum kit fitting down there somewhere. In this case, my drums were set up on the floor in front of the stage while we waited for our sound check. After setting them up I was vegging out by the front window when I heard drums and turned around to see Spencer playing them, with Sue watching over him. Little moments like that can be pretty refreshing for an exhausted, d-list touring band.

That's cool. I think there is scene in the I Am Trying to Break Your Heart where Spencer is playing along on his knee to a song - think it was Heavy Metal Drummer.

Though, it would have been pretty funny if you had a Richard Cole/Peter Grant type road manager who would have berated little Spencer ---- yelling 'hey little piss-ant, I don't care who your parents are -  get the fuck off my drummer's set', while pointing a finger in his little chest...

That's cool. I think there is scene in the I Am Trying to Break Your Heart where Spencer is playing along on his knee to a song - think it was Heavy Metal Drummer.

Though, it would have been pretty funny if you had a Richard Cole/Peter Grant type road manager who would have berated little Spencer ---- yelling 'hey little piss-ant, I don't care who your parents are -  get the fuck off my drummer's set', while pointing a finger in his little chest...

Lol, I’ve met some people in bands who might react that way.