Summerteeth Deluxe Edition (5LP / 4CD)

I wonder who came up with that lick? Can't Stand It was co-written with Bennett.

I hear a slight difference though (I am listening on a crappy computer speaker, though)

On Schmilco, Locator is Drop D tuned a half step down, where live it is just Drop D.

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 11/6/2020 at 5:05 PM, lost highway said:

The solo acoustic demos are so great. I think they're my favorite part of the whole package.

Have to disagree, I find them rather dreary. The songs are there but lacking the magic that elevated them to produce a dizzy pop masterpiece. One can hear Jeff doing some of these songs solo these days, but his guitar playing is certainly more interesting now, as is his singing arguably.

Some observations and a question after listening to the outtakes/alternate takes and demos:

1) No Hurry sounds like it became I Am Trying To Break Your Heart after some new lyrics and other tweaks

2) We're just Friends/Yee Haw sounds like the music became Just a Kid

My question: anyone else wondering if the name Viking Dan is a not-so-subtle reference to Vicodin, which-as the liner notes and Jeff's book tell us--was flowing freely at the time, or is it just me? That song is one of my favorites on this box set, btw. Really sounds raw and desperate and backs up a lot of the liner notes about that being a dark time for them.

3 hours ago, maxspr1 said:

1) No Hurry sounds like it became I Am Trying To Break Your Heart after some new lyrics and other tweaks

2) We're just Friends/Yee Haw sounds like the music became Just a Kid

I'm trying to hold off really digging in on these demos till my LPs arrive, but I did do a few listens of some of the new (to us) songs. I'm not really hearing anything between No Hurry and IATTBYH, though I guess some of the chord changes are similar?? Maybe I'm missing something though.

I also noticed the We're Just Friends rehearsal had a lot from Just A Kid, that was a cool surprise.

Also: All I Need shares some lyrics (and maybe some music ideas??), with A Shot In The Arm. Well it at least shares the "all I need is a shot in the arm" line. Need to do some more listens on this one.

I purchased through the Wilcostore and I got an email with the downloads and it includes the Boulder show that isn't on the LP.  I kind of wish the Candyfloss intro track was like 10 min long, I love that studio weirdness and I bet there are reels of it somewhere!

Viking Dan's lyrics sound so familiar, like they were recycled in a future song but I can't place them.  Just an incredible song.

"Tried and True (alternate)", (i.e. early version of "Summer Teeth" with a different chorus) is fun.  To me it sounds like the theme song of a terrible TV show, and I wouldn't be surprised if that's what they were going for.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/8/2020 at 7:57 PM, maxspr1 said:

My question: anyone else wondering if the name Viking Dan is a not-so-subtle reference to Vicodin, which-as the liner notes and Jeff's book tell us--was flowing freely at the time, or is it just me? That song is one of my favorites on this box set, btw. Really sounds raw and desperate and backs up a lot of the liner notes about that being a dark time for them.

I don't know about the Vicodin parallel, but man oh man, I really dig Viking Dan after hearing it for the first time today! (I've been wading through some other stuff, and just got through the Demos/Outtakes disc.) I don't think I've heard Jeff sound this unhinged on anything since their cover of TV Eye on the old Someone Else's Song mix set. 

Can those with the boxset confirm that the Summerteeth album is the only records on black vinyl? I've heard conflicting reports that the live discs are on black as well. Just curious! 

15 hours ago, TCP said:

Can those with the boxset confirm that the Summerteeth album is the only records on black vinyl? I've heard conflicting reports that the live discs are on black as well. Just curious! 

Confirmed - original album on two slabs are black, others are color.

On 11/26/2020 at 9:04 AM, nalafej said:

Confirmed - original album on two slabs are black, others are color.

Actually, just got mine and the album and live show are colored, the extra tracks are black.  Looking at Discogs comments it looks like lots of people got random black vinyl in the colored set.

18 hours ago, cre618 said:

Actually, just got mine and the album and live show are colored, the extra tracks are black.  Looking at Discogs comments it looks like lots of people got random black vinyl in the colored set.

Really? That is so strange. Sounds very unintentional! What color are your albums?

Yeah that was a pleasant surprise and a good strategy since I will no doubt order a lot more than $20 worth of goods when I use it haha.

just finished listening to the vinyl, it sounds so damn good.  Viking Dan is without question my favorite of all of the outtakes that they’ve put out on these deluxe sets.