Airline to Heaven

Anybody have any ideas on this? Much thanks.

This is from memory, but I think the basic chords are just E and A. Try going back and forth between the two and you can fake it that way in all the verses. Something like this:

[E] There's an airline [A] plane [E] goes to hea[A]ven in a [E] day

If I remember right, the only change is that when you get to the "thems got eyes, let them see". At that point, play

[E] Thems got ears let them [A] hear

[E] Thems got eyes let them see

Then its just back to E and A. I think thats right. Give it a shot and let me know. It should at least get you started. Good luck.

This is from memory, but I think the basic chords are just E and A.  Try going back and forth between the two and you can fake it that way in all the verses.  Something like this:

[E] There's an airline [A] plane [E] goes to hea[A]ven in a [E] day 

If I remember right, the only change is that when you get to the "thems got eyes, let them see".  At that point, play

[E] Thems got ears let them [A] hear

[E] Thems got eyes let them see

Then its just back to E and A.  I think thats right.  Give it a shot and let me know.  It should at least get you started.  Good luck.

Those are the chords from the album version, I think. I've worked this out in the past few days

Capo on 2

Tune the high E down to D

d-----0--0-0--0--0--0----------------

b-----3--3-3--3--3--3----------------

g-----2--2-2--2--2--2---------------- (Not exactly perfect but something along those lines.)

d-----0--0-0--4--2--0----------------

a---------------------------------------

e---------------------------------------

For "Them's got ears..." switch to an A shape.

Anybody that's is proficient at tabbing, help?

• 3 weeks later...

I just drop D and capo on 2 and play this for the riff (I'm pretty sure this is how Jeff did it solo last time I saw him):

D chord, then:

E-2 (let ring)--

B-3 (let ring)--

G-2-------------

D---2-4-2-0----

A-------------2-

D-0 (let ring)--

Hope that makes sense--I'm not proficient at tabbing either.

• 8 months later...
I just drop D and capo on 2 and play this for the riff (I'm pretty sure this is how Jeff did it solo last time I saw him):

D chord, then:

E-2 (let ring)--

B-3 (let ring)--

G-2-------------

D---2-4-2-0----

A-------------2-

D-0 (let ring)--

Hope that makes sense--I'm not proficient at tabbing either.

Wow, that's really close. I can finally play it. Great job. I like to add a few open hits on the A string here and there too.

Wow, that's really close. I can finally play it. Great job. I like to add a few open hits on the A string here and there too.

What's the chord progression for the chorus part? The them's got ears part? Anybody?

What's the chord progression for the chorus part? The them's got ears part? Anybody?

For the verses ("There's an airline plane/flys to heaven everyday", etc), it sounds pretty close to switch between D and one of these (let's call it D/B)

e|-2

b|-3

g|-0

d|-0

a|-2

E|-x (not sure about the muting here)

Then, for the chorus, this sounds close to me:

(D)Them's got ears let them (D/B)hear

(D)Thems got eyes let them(A) see

(D) Turn your eyes to the (D/B)Lord of the skies

(back to the verse chords)

Take that airline plane. It will take you home again.

(A)To your (D)home beyond the skies

Sorry, I don't have a guitar in front of me, but that should be about right.

• 1 year later...

i hate to revive an old topic for such a minor comment (especially on my first post), but if you don't wanna switch to drop-D you can just capo five of the strings and leave E open.. assuming you can do that with your type of capo.

• 1 year later...

I know this is a long dead topic, but there's been something bothering me about playing this and i think i figured it out.

the verse is listed as going between E and A to play (actual chords, not chords relative to capo), and soundwise i knew that was correct, and yet it never sounded like the song exactly to me. Watching the version on the ashes dvd tonight kind of settled it for me. Scalzunfield's version of the riff seems correct, but my one minor note is that the verse chord changes are going between a D and a G shape (without the root in drop tuning), instead of a D to D/B shape

So the verse chords are, as i can tell, to swap between

D

e|-2

b|-3

g|-2

d|-0

a|-0

E|-0

G

e|-3

b|-3

g|-0

d|-0

a|-2

E|-0

Changing that 1st string note from the F# to the G seems to make all the difference in the verse, at least to my ears (and i don't pretend they're accurate).

The funny thing to me is that the chorus does seem to be a D to D/B shape instead of the G

Sorry if this is completely obvious and i just missed the boat or if i am wrong, it's just something that's bothered me for a while because every other way i've attempted to play it has just not sounded right.

• Like 1

I know this is a long dead topic, but there's been something bothering me about playing this and i think i figured it out.

the verse is listed as going between E and A to play (actual chords, not chords relative to capo), and soundwise i knew that was correct, and yet it never sounded like the song exactly to me. Watching the version on the ashes dvd tonight kind of settled it for me. Scalzunfield's version of the riff seems correct, but my one minor note is that the verse chord changes are going between a D and a G shape (without the root in drop tuning), instead of a D to D/B shape

So the verse chords are, as i can tell, to swap between

D

e|-2

b|-3

g|-2

d|-0

a|-0

E|-0

G

e|-3

b|-3

g|-0

d|-0

a|-2

E|-0

Changing that 1st string note from the F# to the G seems to make all the difference in the verse, at least to my ears (and i don't pretend they're accurate).

The funny thing to me is that the chorus does seem to be a D to D/B shape instead of the G

Sorry if this is completely obvious and i just missed the boat or if i am wrong, it's just something that's bothered me for a while because every other way i've attempted to play it has just not sounded right.

yeah if you're playing it in drop d with a capo at 2, the low E is going to sound weird with the G-shaped A chord. I tend to just mute it or play it like you have written up there.