What gear are you using

I'm picking up mine tomorrow with a set of Gibson 57' classics installed. Had a SD Jazz in the neck and a Pearly Gates in the bridge-- the jazz was alright, but the 'gates was way, way too tinny and hot for the bridge. I'd read that many ES-335's came with Dirty Fingers in the bridge, so I figured something a little higher output would put me where I wanted to be. I was wrong.

This is before I knew anything about pickups though. I'd like to think I've come a bit further since then. I'll let you know how it sounds by Thursday.

Yes please let me know how this turns out. I was reading up on the 57s recently and was actually considering them so your review will be very helpful. Rawk!

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

YES!

1201852832_CARBON_463.jpg

Can't wait to get home.

Can you let me know what you think of this pedal.

I am currently looking for a delay pedal, and have been doing quite a bit of research on this pedal, but have yet to play it.

Please let me know how you like it? I am curious to know if there is a volume decrease when the effect is on, and how it sounds with overdrive...

Thanks!

Can you let me know what you think of this pedal.

I am currently looking for a delay pedal, and have been doing quite a bit of research on this pedal, but have yet to play it.

Please let me know how you like it? I am curious to know if there is a volume decrease when the effect is on, and how it sounds with overdrive...

Thanks!

So far I really like it. I've only played it by myself, so I can't comment on how it fits in the context of a band. I'll play with it some more over the weekend and try to let you know about the volume, overdrive, etc. I did not notice a drop in volume when the pedal is on, but I'll focus on that next time I play it. Some of the settings are very David Gilmour-esque.

So far I really like it. I've only played it by myself, so I can't comment on how it fits in the context of a band. I'll play with it some more over the weekend and try to let you know about the volume, overdrive, etc. I did not notice a drop in volume when the pedal is on, but I'll focus on that next time I play it. Some of the settings are very David Gilmour-esque.

Thanks alot, i appreciate it. I am seriously considering picking this pedal up!

I'm using a OGSI-15 oxygen generator, a GTT Lynx with 15 outer/7 inner jets, Chili Pepper toolbox kiln, and Bearfoot EMS Deluxe 1 (powered by DD batteries).

• 2 weeks later...

I just bought an SG.

I don't think I've ever been happier with a guitar in my life. I feel like I was born with this thing in my hands and it was ripped away from me, only to be returned now.

I don't understand any of the criticisms I've ever heard about these guys. It's like a Telecaster and a Les Paul got together, had a baby, and then Satan came in and was like "YOU WILL BELONG TO ME" and the SG was like "NO SATAN" and they had a fistfight on the banks of a lava river and Satan tried to do this backflip and the SG kicked him in the junk, and Satan fell into the lava, but because the SG has morals it pulled Satan out, and got badly burnt in the process, and Satan was like "Okay, you can look like me if you want, whether you want to harvest souls is your choice," and the SG was like "We'll see. We'll see."

I'm going to go play ALTWYS until my neighbours call the police.

I just bought an SG.

I don't think I've ever been happier with a guitar in my life. I feel like I was born with this thing in my hands and it was ripped away from me, only to be returned now.

I don't understand any of the criticisms I've ever heard about these guys. It's like a Telecaster and a Les Paul got together, had a baby, and then Satan came in and was like "YOU WILL BELONG TO ME" and the SG was like "NO SATAN" and they had a fistfight on the banks of a lava river and Satan tried to do this backflip and the SG kicked him in the junk, and Satan fell into the lava, but because the SG has morals it pulled Satan out, and got badly burnt in the process, and Satan was like "Okay, you can look like me if you want, whether you want to harvest souls is your choice," and the SG was like "We'll see. We'll see."

I'm going to go play ALTWYS until my neighbours call the police.

Killer description! There is nothing like finding a guitar that speaks to you. It's really cool when you're not expecting it.

I am curious to know if there is a volume decrease when the effect is on, and how it sounds with overdrive...

Thanks!

Hey, I tinkered around with the delay pedal some more. There is no volume decrease when the effect is on. I power mine with an adaptor. I suppose it's possible that there is a volume decrease if you use a battery, or if the amp is cranked. I prefer the sound of this pedal clean vs overdriven, but I've never been thrilled with the sounds I get from my OD pedal (a cheap digitech).

• 2 weeks later...

Home gear

late 60s - early 70s harmony sovereign H-1260 flat top jumbo.

The action is an intense 8mm @ 12th fret. I've tightened the rod, but it always goes back. Huge sound!

2000 fender acoustic dg8s value pack

My first guitar. Low action and incredibly easy to play. Old school KZEW 98FM elephant sticker on the front. :blush

2004 Epiphone Custom Les Paul

Flame maple top w/ cherry sunburst finish, 2 Humbuckers pickups, gold hardware, mahogany neck, rosewood/block fingerboard, mahogany/alder body.

I love this guitar!!! I bought it for myself with my Christmas bonus and do not regret it. It's a beast when plugged into my Peavey Bandit 112 Transtube, which currently stays at a place called The Spine Shack. :wave

2006 Ibanez AEF30E Cutaway Acoustic-Electric

Flamed maple top, maple back and sides. mahogany neck. B-Band/UST pickup, w/ on board tuner. I use the Peavey Envoy 110 Transtube mainly. It has tremendous twang!! When I get the itch to buy a Telecaster, I plug this into the 112 and it usually can control that impulse buying urge. :stunned

I record to a 1st gen Fostex multitracker through sound card. The internal mic on this is pretty good!

Boss Loop Station, Metal Muff distortion, DOD icebox chorus & dunlop orig crybaby wah.

Tama 13" artwood? maple snare drum - i just got this and the cat doesn't know what the hell is going on!! :lol

• 4 weeks later...

Guitars:

Gibson Les Paul Custom

Taylor 814ce

Taylor 314ce

Regal Resonator

Others:

Kentucky F-Style Mandolin

Ukelele

Amp:

Mesa Tremoverb Dual Rectifier Twin Combo

Keyboards:

Casio px 320

Roland Synth

Korg mini-synth/vocoder

Here's what I currently am using (none of the pictures are of the ones I actually own but they are the same make/model):

Stringed Instruments:

ad25_sr_plus_500.jpg

Breedlove Acoustic - for some reason within the last week or so it just started sounding even better...not too sure why.

Jag.jpg

Fender Jaguar Reissue (with Mustang bridge)

gt-ob250fra.jpg

Gold Tone Banjo

Electronics:

P_189_S00.jpg

Fender '65 Deluxe Reissue

Proco RAT Distortion

Boss RV-5 Reverb/Delay

Digitech Bad Monkey Overdrive -> really cheap ($40), and surprisingly great sounding

Misc.

Hohner Marine Band harps

Epiphone SG (forget the model) with a weird mix of string gauges and other things done to it...basically it can sound like a bass and a 12 string (sort of)

A shitty keyboard that I am constantly frustrated/disappointed with

• 2 weeks later...

I currently abuse a 2006 Les Paul Standard a 2007 Epiphone Sheraton II and this 1999 Dean Onyx Acoustic. My amp is a Fender Vintage Reissue 65 Deluxe Reverb Guitar Combo with an Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer, Fender PT-100 tuner and an ancient Zoom Players Series 1010 Multi-Effects pedal. The surprising thing is that the Dean has held up extremely well over the past almost 10 years...I bought it as a "college" guitar and has retained its playability, the neck is very straight, the frets have some pretty good wear, and aside from some finish issues it sounds great through an amp....someday soon I hope to begin designing a custom acoustic with a luthier friend of mine in northern Wisconsin. check his work

Guitars:

Early 90's MIM Strat

2005ish Hwy 1 Strat

1960 Silvertone Stratotone

Random Conn Acoustic

Amps:

Orange AD30 w/matching 2x12

Marshall AVT 50

Fender G-Dec

Effects:

Dunlop Wah

Tubescreamer

MXR Phase 90

Might pick up a MIM Jazz bass from a pawnshop tomorrow for $230, its in good condition and its a pretty good deal

Electric....

Fender '72 Telecaster Deluxe

Epiphone Sheridan

Epiphone SG G-400

into...

Boss TU-2

EH LPB-1

MXR EVH Phase 90

EH Soul Preacher

EH Big Muff - Russian

Ibanez Tube Screamer

Biyang EQ-7

Boss RT-20 w/expression pedal

MXR Blue Box

EH Pulsar

Visual Sound H2O - Chorus and Echo

EH Holy Grail

Boss RC-20XL

Volume Pedal to fade out loops

Into...

Marshall AVT 50

Acoustic...

Stagg Jumbo

Oscar Schmidt Dreadnaught w/Seymor Duncan Hummbucker

Oscar Schmidt Ukelele

Fender Mandolin

into...

TU-2

Danelectro Fish and Chips

Art V3

into...

Fender Acoustisonic SFX

• 1 month later...

1985 G&L Rampage (red),

Early 80's Peavey T-60 (sunburst),

88 Fender American Standard Strat (gunmetal blue),

52 Fender Reissue Telecaster,

Vaccaro Generator X - Year unknown

Taylor 414CE 6-string Acoustic,

03 Fender Hot Rod Deville,

Fender Studio Lead,

TC Electronics Chorus/Flange,

Boss DS-1 Distortion,

Fulltone Fulldrive Distortion,

Crybaby Classic Wah

That's about it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Ok, so I'm thinking about getting the new EH Holy Grail of Reverb. It's now called the Nano reverb because EH decided to install the electronics into a smaller, more durable box. They discontinued the old one.

Sounds like a lot of you folks have this pedal (well the original version). What are your thoughts on it?

Ok, so I'm thinking about getting the new EH Holy Grail of Reverb. It's now called the Nano reverb because EH decided to install the electronics into a smaller, more durable box. They discontinued the old one.

Sounds like a lot of you folks have this pedal (well the original version). What are your thoughts on it?

As i don't have an opinion on this particular pedal, I do have a EHX Double Muff which sounds great, but is big, and as I only ever use the single muff setting on it, i thought i might downsize to the nano muff. according to EHX lit it is exactly the same circuit, and so it should sound the same. However, when i plugged it in in the shop it sounded like crap. I seem to remember having heard similar stories about the nano stone. so i would be wary of anything nano- try it thoroughly in the shop first and let your ears decide.

I just added this guitar to the collection. It's a Gibson Custom Shop Les Paul VOS. It's interesting that they branded it as a Les Paul, because I don't think that style of Maestro was used until a few years after '61, after it had been rebranded as the SG. The '61 Maestro was different. Either way, cool guitar and a lot of fun.

LPSGfront.jpg

I just added this guitar to the collection. It's a Gibson Custom Shop Les Paul VOS. It's interesting that they branded it as a Les Paul, because I don't think that style of Maestro was used until a few years after '61, after it had been rebranded as the SG. The '61 Maestro was different. Either way, cool guitar and a lot of fun.

LPSGfront.jpg

The sideway vibrola is the one that should be on the 61-63 style sgs, but they are awkward and dont really work. You move the bar back and forth on those, instead of up and down. The SG reissue that gibson makes is really closer to the 63/64 sgs. Ive always wondered why they didnt just call them that, but whatever. They are really cool guitars, I bet yours is great!

This is how wikipedia describes the name stuff, kind of explains how this could have the name on it:

In 1960, Gibson experienced a decline in electric guitar sales due to their high prices and strong competition from Fender's comparable but much lighter double-cutaway design: The Stratocaster. In response, Gibson modified the Les Paul line. This 1961 issue Les Paul guitar was thinner and much lighter than the earlier models, with two sharply pointed cut-aways and a vibrato system. However, the redesign was done without Les Paul's knowledge. When the musician saw the guitar, he asked Gibson to remove his name from the instrument and parted ways with the company. Although this separation occurred in 1960, Gibson had a surplus stock of "Les Paul" logos and truss rod covers, and so continued to use the Les Paul name until 1963. At that point, the SG guitar's name was finally changed to "SG", which stood simply for Solid Guitar.

I have a '61 that's had the tremolo arm broken off since the 70s, I'm always tempted to replace the tailpiece but that's kind of irreversible.