What gear are you using

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The younger me would have considered this sacrilege, but I recently outfitted my drums with a type of drumhead that I once thought were crimes against tone. I put Remo Pinstripe heads on my toms and an Evans Hydraulic (oil filled) head on my snare drum. These heads are a crime against resonance, but I need a punchier sound for my current band and so far these heads are working out pretty well.

i am holding my breath until this arrives...my new number one i believe can you guess what band Im listening to alot lately?

92db642dd67125e59bc41a7efc84a636.jpg

Soundgarden?

I don't know, that's the only band I that comes to mind who is associated with Guild.

i am holding my breath until this arrives...my new number one i believe can you guess what band Im listening to alot lately?

I've got Youtube blocked here at work, so lemmie guess.

The guy from Grizzly Bear/ Dept of Eagles plays one of those.

What year and model is that , Guild Granada? 50's.

I've got Youtube blocked here at work, so lemmie guess.

The guy from Grizzly Bear/ Dept of Eagles plays one of those.

What year and model is that , Guild Granada? 50's.

Yea...grizzly bear, oh man, love them...

its a 1963 Guild T-50 (Granada)...one of the last models with the Franz pick up (like a p90, but crisper)...i got a steal, you can find Guilds cheap all over because they dont have the name recognition of Gibson, buy they better built guitars...

Yea...grizzly bear, oh man, love them...

its a 1963 Guild T-50 (Granada)...one of the last models with the Franz pick up (like a p90, but crisper)...i got a steal, you can find Guilds cheap all over because they dont have the name recognition of Gibson, buy they better built guitars...

Congrats! You'll have great fun playing with that thing.

They are great guitars. I'm hoping to run across a Starfire someday of around the same vintage that appeals to me.

...i got a steal, you can find Guilds cheap all over because they dont have the name recognition of Gibson, buy they better built guitars...

Whoa, I've never even considered looking for a Guild. Somehow they've been totally off my radar. I'm definitely going to keep them in mind next time I get obsessed with buying another instrument.*

Jerry Garcia is another guy who played a Guild. I think he had a Starfire during the early Dead era.

*EDIT: OK, now I'm getting obsessed:

main_12819.jpg

Im guessing that a Fender Jazzmaster is a more quality guitar then a Fender Jaguar. if anyone was had played one or own them, can you explain the differences? I know the Jag has different tone controls, etc... both look great though and down the road i would like to rock one out big time!

268360.jpg

268374.jpg

Im guessing that a Fender Jazzmaster is a more quality guitar then a Fender Jaguar.

Nope.

When those models were initially released they were Fenders top of the line solidbodies. As with most Fenders sold today the primary characteristics of the originals is still found on the current incarnations. Between the two models, it's not a question of quality, it's that they go in different directions tonally. And that's achieved primarily by the tone circuit and their respective pickups.

I haven't played either model in ages. I know their are subtle spec. differences between the two, a quick wiki search ought to get you any additional info you need there.

These are also referred to as Fender "offsets". Poke around a little and you'll find places dedicated to these guitars by their enthusiasts.

Jaguar has a shorter scale length than a Jazzmaster if I recall. More along the lines of a Fender Mustang, where the Jazzmaster has the same long scale length as a Strat or Telecaster.

It's a matter of feel and sound preference. Longer scale length = higher string tension, more difficult bends, twangier overall sound.

Well a week in to it and the Guild is clearly the best buy Ive made in years...it just what i needed, really great tones and construction, very playable...and a bargain compared to some others i looked at...

Been few months since i brought this up...but im simply not a jazzmaster guy...and i tried really really hard to like mine, even after bridge and pickup upgrade...it will be up on the ebay this week, if anyone's in the market...

• 4 weeks later...

I live in Westerly RI (we used to have the old guild factory). My old high school has tons of old guilds for their guitar classes!

Excuse my ignorance.. what type of Guild is this? It's beautiful.

its a 1963 Guild T-50 (Granada)...one of the last models with the Franz pick up (like a p90, but crisper)...i got a steal, you can find Guilds cheap all over because they dont have the name recognition of Gibson, buy they better built guitars... :ninja

its a 1963 Guild T-50 (Granada)...one of the last models with the Franz pick up (like a p90, but crisper)...i got a steal, you can find Guilds cheap all over because they dont have the name recognition of Gibson, buy they better built guitars... :ninja

Ooops I see you posted that before, my bad.

That's an absolutely beautiful guitar. Have you received it yet?

That should have said "did you get that on ebay or what?!". I've done some looking around on my own and they're hard to find. Strangely it seems like most people just randomly ran into them. I think a lot of instruments like that get tossed because people don't know what they have... the rest get sold for too much, or at least the easy to find ones do. :mellow

A lot of Guild chatter at the moment. I'd love to get a chance to play around with an older bluesbird. I'm under the impression that for much less than a les paul, you get a great, yet similar guitar. Did they make them with p90s only? Any info about them would be appreciated!

Decent guild site, its run by a friend of a friend

http://goodeguitars.com/

A lot of Guild chatter at the moment. I'd love to get a chance to play around with an older bluesbird. I'm under the impression that for much less than a les paul, you get a great, yet similar guitar. Did they make them with p90s only? Any info about them would be appreciated!

Decent guild site, its run by a friend of a friend

http://goodeguitars.com/

no sure on that other than they are terrific guitars

ask here