Jeff's Solo Setup

I know this question has been asked before, and I'm not sure if it was ever clearly answered. Sooo....Does anyone know, really, what setup Jeff uses to achieve that really deep reverb when he plays solo? A perfect example is on "Summerteeth" from the 3-04-2005 Vic Theatre Show. Muchas Gracias if you guys can give me the scoop.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was under the impression that is was the EH Holy Grail Reverb that he somehow controlls using a volume pedal. In the deleted scens from I Am Trying To Break Your Heart, when Jeff is playing "Wait Up" He's clearly using a volume pedal to control the wetness of the effect but it sounds like a Holy Grail (which usually is controlled with the one knob on the effect).

I was under the impression that is was the EH Holy Grail Reverb that he somehow controlls using a volume pedal. In the deleted scens from I Am Trying To Break Your Heart, when Jeff is playing "Wait Up" He's clearly using a volume pedal to control the wetness of the effect but it sounds like a Holy Grail (which usually is controlled with the one knob on the effect).

I dont think the Holy Grail has an input for an expression pedal. I'd bet it's the Moog analog delay.

oh. I had no idea the moog could make that kind of sound. cool!

Well for the price it better ;)

Actually, I'm not positive since I've never used one, but I do know he controls the delay with 3 volume pedals with his electric setup. If you listen to the recording of Spiders acoustic at the Calgars Music Fetival, there's a similar effect at the end of the song that sounds more than just heavy reverb. It could also be comething more complicated...

From what I could tell at the March solo shows hes got the holy grail's reverb cranked way up, and simply blends the signal with a volume, kinda a poor man's expression pedal

So maybe something like

guitar -> a/b/y pedal (set to Y)

a -> direct to PA

b -> Holy Grail (max reverb) -> volume pedal (usually set to off) -> PA

so when he steps on the volume pedal he gets the heavy reverb mixed on top of his dry signal?

So maybe something like

guitar -> a/b/y pedal (set to Y)

a -> direct to PA

b -> Holy Grail (max reverb) -> volume pedal (usually set to off) -> PA

so when he steps on the volume pedal he gets the heavy reverb mixed on top of his dry signal?

word, that's what I'm talking about.

so what is a "y pedal," and would you have to have a split jack coming out of the guitar to go to both the pedal(s) and PA? (soundhole pickup and end pin jack?)

Can't confirm what Tweedy does but this is what everybody else is talking about:

Not two different outputs (soundhole, endpin) just one output but the signal is split. Therefore you have a clean sound which doesn't change. Then on the effects are added as a separate signal (So that the reverb can smoothly come in with the help of an expression/volume pedal). So the clean signal is always there. Different than just putting your signal through the effects. With the split signal if you turn on your effect only the wet signal is effected. The dry mix always remains dry.

so what is a "y pedal," and would you have to have a split jack coming out of the guitar to go to both the pedal(s) and PA? (soundhole pickup and end pin jack?)

The A/B/Y teminology means the single guitar input can be split into two separate outputs (A or B ) or both (Y).

(these can also be used the reverse way, for example to hook up guitar A and guitar B into a single output into the amp)

Edited by jhc
  • 8 months later...
I'm ressurecting this thread. Any idea's on the pickup Tweedy uses in his acoustics on these solo shows? They definatly sound great and i'm in the market for a new one for my j45.
I have an LR Baggs Goldbeam (?) from 2 years ago that has been great and it was only like $120 installed. My luthier suggested it much higher than a fishman, and I have been pleased I took his word.

I have also come up with an idea for the whole Jeff solo reverb/pedal idea: a male to two female Y cord coming out of the guitar. On one side of the Y, plug in a cable running to a volume pedal hooked to a reverb pedal and then to your PA. On the other side of the Y have a cable plugged in and have it running to the PA also. Keep the volume pedal all the way off until you want reverb, then you can push it on. This allows you to maintain a clear, dry signal directly from the guitar to the PA and also a signal saturated with reverb that you can modulate with your foot. All of that may have been said earlier, but I didn't totally get it unitl I figured it out myself. :)

edit: not sure on what pickup JT uses. They often look white in color and like they hook in the soundhole but come out an endpin jack.

Jeff uses Fishman Rare Earth pickups, unless my eyes decieve me.

Fishman. eh? Looking at musiciansfriend.com they look a little thin. Could he have two installed? This electric stuff is all new too me ;) I'll look into the LR Baggs Goldbeam. Thanks for the reccomendation.

185329692_85d97c2cde.jpg?v=0

Edited by memphisto

its a moog delay. without question.

the delay has that "nice " price tag due to 2 reasons.

1. its analog. which to have a 500ms or 1000ms analog delay is unheard of.

2. it has cv. also aka control voltage. anyone who works with synths should be familiar with this. it basically like a precursor to midi. all functions have thier own 1/4'' plug that can control it.

now there is a pot in the ernir ball vlume pedals that jeff uses for it. so therefore you can control the variables. he has 3 of them on a plank. one for speed, depth, and tone i believe.

this is all is logical, even though it seems magical.

i have been thinking about trying something like this for a while.

you can hear it really well at the end of chinese apple on loose furs first album..

cheers.

sean

Jeff uses a L.R. Baggs M1 pickup. Follow this link (scroll halfway down):

http://www.lrbaggs.com/buzz/

"Jeff Tweedy with Wilco adopts the M1 as his acoustic pickup of choice. Tweedy's guitar tech, Frank Montuoro, recently informed us here at L.R. Baggs that Jeff Tweedy had heard another band member playing the M1 on stage and liked it so much that he is outfitting all of his acoustics with it for the upcoming Summer Wilco tour."

Jeff uses a L.R. Baggs M1 pickup. Follow this link (scroll halfway down):

http://www.lrbaggs.com/buzz/

"Jeff Tweedy with Wilco adopts the M1 as his acoustic pickup of choice. Tweedy's guitar tech, Frank Montuoro, recently informed us here at L.R. Baggs that Jeff Tweedy had heard another band member playing the M1 on stage and liked it so much that he is outfitting all of his acoustics with it for the upcoming Summer Wilco tour."

yeah. That looks like what he has in every other guitar. but not in that j45. I can post screens of those if you like. From the same show. I'm thinking that those are Fishman in the j45's.

yeah. That looks like what he has in every other guitar. but not in that j45. I can post screens of those if you like. From the same show. I'm thinking that those are Fishman in the j45's.

Oooohhhh, I didn't realize you were looking for those specifics. Although, it does say he puts them in all his acoustics. Strange. Probably is a Fishman in the J45 then, but, if he likes the M1 in all his other acoustics, I'm sure it would be a good choice for you.

Oooohhhh, I didn't realize you were looking for those specifics. Although, it does say he puts them in all his acoustics. Strange. Probably is a Fishman in the J45 then, but, if he likes the M1 in all his other acoustics, I'm sure it would be a good choice for you.

Another thing I'm still not clear on is wether he has two installed in that j45. And if there are 2 then why would you have 2?

Another thing I'm still not clear on is wether he has two installed in that j45. And if there are 2 then why would you have 2?

You would have to be freakishly obsessive about your tone to ever have any reason to even imagine having 2 pickups on your acoustic, and even that doesn't answer your question. Surely, he doesn't have two pickups on there.

You would have to be freakishly obsessive about your tone to ever have any reason to even imagine having 2 pickups on your acoustic, and even that doesn't answer your question. Surely, he doesn't have two pickups on there.

lol. thats what I figured. It's just that looking up the fishman rare earth on the web. The one in that picture is at least 30-40% wider. Could be an older model I assume.

Here's a good picture of it. Tho it looks like definatly a single unit in this pic. PIC

Edited by memphisto