Tweedy uses D'addario phosphor bronze 13 gauge on his acoustic. You can check out specifics on D'addario's website. He totally sold out. I use D'addario phosphor bronze 12 gauge on my acoustic, D'addario Nickel Wound 12 gauge on my electric and random ass strings on my lap steel. Whenever I can't find D'addario Dean Markley is what I use, same thing: phosphor bronze on acoustic, nickel wound on electric

Tweedy uses D'addario phosphor bronze 13 gauge on his acoustic. You can check out specifics on D'addario's website. He totally sold out. I use D'addario phosphor bronze 12 gauge on my acoustic, D'addario Nickel Wound 12 gauge on my electric and random ass strings on my lap steel. Whenever I can't find D'addario Dean Markley is what I use, same thing: phosphor bronze on acoustic, nickel wound on electric

12's on the electric? Dang...

I use D'addario XL 11's on the Les Paul, 10's on the Telecaster

Dean Markley C6 pedal steel set (strings 2-7) for the 6-sting lap steel

Haven't changed strings on my acoustic in over a year, I think they were Martin's of some sort

12's on the electric? Dang...

Yeah, the 12's on the electric -- I started out on acoustic, always used 12's or 13's. And I played mostly jazz, so when I got an electric (a hollowbody) I stuck with the 12's. They're actually called jazz light which makes me feel like a pussy. But they have great tone, I don't bend much, and they're comfortable. SRV and scofield use(d) much heavier like 14-16 area. I don't know how because they both bend a lot.

But they have great tone, I don't bend much, and they're comfortable.

I guess that would make a difference - I find I bend a lot, and with 11s anything below the 5th fret is a major challenge (hence 10's on the Tele).

Have you ever tried flatwounds?

I guess that would make a difference - I find I bend a lot, and with 11s anything below the 5th fret is a major challenge (hence 10's on the Tele).

Have you ever tried flatwounds?

Yeah. I would use them for strictly jazz if I had another guitar for rock. I used to play strictly jazz gigs in classy places, then noise rock shows in smoky bars. Now I'm doing mostly original material and I have morphed the two styles so I'm trying to find a balance. Right now the wound 12's are working great. I feel comfortable with them and I can still tear into them when I want to. It would be funny to see a guy with flat wounds rolling around on the floor with a feedbacking guitar, but for now doing that with a jazz hollowbody has to be surreal enough.

On my black '76 Les Paul custom and '60 gold top reissue ('99??)

I use DR "pure blues" .10-.46 set when I am in a bending/tinkering mood like noodling out solos and intros.

The same strings in the .11-.50 set for sheer power when I am in a power chord mood...

At any given point in time, these two setups are on on these two guitars, but sometimes I swap the setups on them. Currently, the Custom has the heavier setup to reduce buzz because of the low action of Customs.

I have tried alot of strings and have finally find a brand that I don't break on stage.

D'Addario XL10s. I have been using them for about 3 months and have yet to break one.

Before that I bought a 20 pack of GHS Fatties, they sucked.

• 1 month later...

The strings I use largely depend on which guitar they're going on:

PRS Hollowbody II: D'Addario 11's. The 11's sound better than lighter gauges when using the Piezo system.

Rickenbacker 360/6: Rickenbacker 10's, flatwounds

Rickenbacker 360/12: Rickenbacker 10's, flatwounds

PRS McCarty: D'Addario 10's.

PRS Custom 24: D'Addario 10's.

Fender Stratocasters: Ernie Ball Hybrids, .09-.46

http://www.myspace.com/faintinggoats