Sunken Treasure (harmonica)?

Hohner is the best brand, by far. I don't know that plastic combs are any different from wooden ones in terms of bending notes, but I can say wood sounds better and seems more air-tight. I've always played Blues Harps, but if you want the best, buy a Marine Band. They run about $22 against the $15 Blues Harps, but for the sound and playability, they're worth every cent of the difference. If you're just starting out though, invest in one of those Piedmont Blues sets from Musician's Friend. I bought one a while back to fool with as practice harps, and I was super-impressed. They're plastic but have the same reeds as other Hohners, and they are about two dollars a pop. Plus, you get a carrying case. You get A,Bb,C,D,E,F, and G- Everything you'll ever need.

Edited by groselicain
  • 1 year later...

I recommend messing around a bit on it. Kind of get yourself familiar with how it works, where certain pitches are etc. and then look on the internet for how to bend notes. It's like riding a bike: all of a sudden it will click and you can bend notes like crazy. I mostly just jam on mine while I play guitar. I'm not great to the point where I can play back something I heard but after familiarizing myself with it for a couple of months I can come up with some pretty nifty riffs.

I recommend messing around a bit on it. Kind of get yourself familiar with how it works, where certain pitches are etc. and then look on the internet for how to bend notes. It's like riding a bike: all of a sudden it will click and you can bend notes like crazy. I mostly just jam on mine while I play guitar. I'm not great to the point where I can play back something I heard but after familiarizing myself with it for a couple of months I can come up with some pretty nifty riffs.

So, the harmonica is something you more, or less wing it while playing?

So, the harmonica is something you more, or less wing it while playing?

Well, if you want to be really good at it, I'd say the less winging the better. But I found it pretty easy to wing it on songs like She's a Jar. It doesn't sound great but it sounds good enough to give me a big shit eating grin when I do it.

I started this thread awhile back because I was interested in Sunken Treasure too. At this point, I still haven't figured it out but I havent really dedicated all that much time to it. So, I'd say that winging it doesn't really work for that tune.