Yeah, maybe thats the difference. I dunno, every single Ovation I've seen sounds like it was pre-made for a Melissa Etheridge song.

They have a pretty distinct tone. It's personal preference, I suppose. I happen to not like them, but they aren't bad guitars.

And it was well worth it. It's definetly the best guitar I've ever had. It feels really nice in your hands.

Hows the sound and quality? I've been thinking about an Epi Hummungbird (square shoulder) and wonder if they are as good as they are portrayed to be.

Hows the sound and quality? I've been thinking about an Epi Hummungbird (square shoulder) and wonder if they are as good as they are portrayed to be.

It sounds really nice. I have yet to play it plugged in as I just got it yesterday, but it's a good acoustic guitar.

I'm actually a really big fan of epiphones. Their higher end guitars are really nice (plus, if they were good enough for the beatles, they are good enough for me, right?). They are good guitars and they don't cost all that much.

It sounds really nice. I have yet to play it plugged in as I just got it yesterday, but it's a good acoustic guitar.

Do you have an acoustic amp or are you just playing through a standard electric amp?

Do you have an acoustic amp or are you just playing through a standard electric amp?

Standard electric amp. So it's probably not gonna sound great. I'm thinking I'm going to invest in a small acoustic amp soon.

Standard electric amp. So it's probably not gonna sound great. I'm thinking I'm going to invest in a small acoustic amp soon.

Thanks, if you do invest in an acoustic amp, let me know what you end up with. I've been looking for a small inexpensive model myself and am looking for recommendations.

to those looking for an acoustic amp, they are a bit of a waste of money. They sound very fake and cheesy I think. You'd be better off purchasing a small PA like this which offers more channels and versitilty. Also, it won't color the sound nearly as much as an acoustic amp would.

Guest blind boy grunt

^^ I definitely disagree with that...how many acoustic amps have you played? A friend of mine has a Roland AC-60 and it sounds like fucking heaven.

Anyway, as far as acoustic go, I would strongly recommend getting a Larivee D-03. It will probably set you back $700 (a bit higher than what you're looking for) but trust me, you will never need to buy another acoustic guitar. Period. They play beautifully and have one of the cleanest tones I've ever heard. I would take a D-03 over any Martin, no matter what the cost. Seriously, check one out.

I've been playing a Takamine G series spruce top since I bought in 1995 at the Guitar center on north clark in Chicago for (I think) $300, and I would probably lose my s**t if I lost that guitar, because it's the only guitar I've held on to since I started playing. So, play some of those. I think they've perhaps improved a bit, some people like the fir top. I wouldn't pay extra for the abalone, though.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm curious what people's thoughts are on the Martin DX1. Just bought it for $500. Solid spruce top, dreadnaught. I love the tone (based my purchase on which one Bob Dylan's Beard sounded best on) but I've had some purists take issue with the non-wood backing. I still love it but wondering what y'all think.

Edited by dontknownuthin
I'm curious what people's thoughts are on the Martin DX1. Just bought it for $500. Solid spruce top, dreadnaught. I love the tone (based my purchase on which one Bob Dylan's Beard sounded best on) but I've had some purists take issue with the non-wood backing. I still love it but wondering what y'all think.

I played one of these for about a minute at a friends house this weekend. His was a few years old but I really didn't like at all, the action was atrocious, but I guess that differs between guitars.