Alright, I have outgrown my Washburn and am searching for my new weapon. I'm borrowing my friends Duo Sonic II which is pretty sweet but, I need something of my own. Anybody have any suggestions?

WI66PROTRB_1.jpg

I like the Duo Sonic way better.duo2.jpg

Edited by kaysettes

For me, the Washburn is too good in its sound. Very full, and those tone knobs are sweet, 10 having a warm humbucker sound and 1 being a crisp coil. Also, I need to retune the guitar after each song, and not just the B string but all of them. Which sucks. And the frets need redressing every few months. I had a dent in the 10th fret 2cm deep, and they couldn't give me an explanation why. Maybe I just got a bad neck but, that Duo Sonic is really well built and hasn't given me any trouble even though I play it much harder than the Washburn. Plus, the sound is awesome when I turn the amp up to 11.

Well, this is a list of generally well-regarded guitars in your price range from another message board I frequent... obviously lots of very different guitars in this list.

$300 - $500

Fender Standard Stratocaster/Telecaster, Fat Strat

Epiphone G-400

Shecter C-1 Artist

Yamaha AES620

Hamer Archtop

PRS SE

G&L Tribute Legacy, Tribute ASAT, Tribute S-500

$500 - $750

Epiphone Les Paul standard

Gibson Faded SG Special

Schecter C-1 Classic/Elite

ESP/LTD Viper 400, EC-400

Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Highway 1 Stratocaster/ Telecaster, Lite Ash Stratocaster/Telecaster, 50

After searching (for an hour), I found this bad boy:

squierjagmaster3tssd-s.jpg

After getting past the name "Squier," I talked to a friend of mine that has one, says it is quote "Sweet." For a Squier. Not even for a Squier, just a sweet guitar. Which is nice. And, I love Jazzmasters. And Jaguars. And, if I go to get ripped off at Guitar Center, I'm only in the hole about $300. It just seems too good to be true...

Point. Damn. I just need to play them and see who wins. Damn internet shopping.

Edit: Alright, I need someone who knows guitars to tell me the difference between a Squier model and the real McCoy. So far, this Jagmaster has the same neck, which is nice, pickups are solid. What else is there to it? Obviously having a big SQUIER on the headpiece is ugly, but that can be buffed out if needed. What's the dillio?

Edited by kaysettes
Point. Damn. I just need to play them and see who wins. Damn internet shopping.

Edit: Alright, I need someone who knows guitars to tell me the difference between a Squier model and the real McCoy. So far, this Jagmaster has the same neck, which is nice, pickups are solid. What else is there to it? Obviously having a big SQUIER on the headpiece is ugly, but that can be buffed out if needed. What's the dillio?

Well both have an alder body and rosewood fretboard. The Jagmaster has cheaper pickups (and a different kind: humbuckers instead of Jazzmaster pickups), a different style tremolo (again undobtedly cheaper). The Jazzmaster also has a rhythm/lead circuit switch that the Jagmaster lacks.

But then again, only your ears can tell you if it's worth twice the price.

i've never seen a Les Paul Standard for under $750, but my studio would go for about that much. i have an older black beauty studio with covered pickups that i got for a song.

my favorite guitar in this price range is the carvin dc-127 as far as dual humbucker guitars go. i regret selling mine to buy a "dream guitar" that just wasn't anywhere near as good as the old carvin.

i've never seen a Les Paul Standard for under $750, but my studio would go for about that much. i have an older black beauty studio with covered pickups that i got for a song.

my favorite guitar in this price range is the carvin dc-127 as far as dual humbucker guitars go. i regret selling mine to buy a "dream guitar" that just wasn't anywhere near as good as the old carvin.

The Epiphone Les Pauls are all well under $750

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=home...ase_pid/518341/

but of course not Gibsons.

Carvin makes some very nice guitars - I like this version of the dc-127 :rock

carvinDC127.jpg

For solid bodies I've heard some good things about this one. But as always you gotta go play one to see if it is "you".

270321.jpg

$490

I've heard that this is a decent semi-hollow for the money.

303356.jpg

$450

With Squier, you *always* get what you pay for, if not less.

I got one of these:

http://us.st11.yimg.com/store1.yimg.com/I/...l_1881_38548427

and am in the process of swapping out the pickups with Seymour Duncans.. Seth Lover in the neck and Vintage Lead for Broadcaster the bridge.

Total cost $350 and a much better value than the Squier. The overall construction of the Turser is better (though it's still cheap and you can do better) and the pickups will be way better than the stock Squier's and even better than the mid-level Fenders.

the biggest issue with the cheap guitars is the frets. often, they are improperly finished/installed and feel sharp. you shouldn't feel the frets on the side, it should be smooth. i've played squires, epiphones, ibanez, jackson and others that felt like little razors.

i was able to get my gibson lp studio for $300 with case from someone who had rent to pay and liked my band. i gave him $350 and still got a sweet deal.

my other main electric is an epiphone es-330 dot reissue that was $400 (without case). if it had a bigsby, i'd be much happier. i should buy another dc-127 carvin (all mahogany, black hardware, hardtail).

• 4 weeks later...

I was actually thinking about the SG classic for a bit, with a bigsby (psychedelia man), but then i noticed for 150 more dollars I could get a Rickenbacker. Then yesterday, I played a Rickenbacker, and i am in love.

Also in a little cheaper price range is the Epiphone Sheraton 2. You'll need to switch the pickup selector out but it is amazing otherwise.

Edited by Pecan_Pie
i've never played one, but i love the way they sound.

Well, IMO the neck is fast (minus the glossy finish which i can get over) and the pickups are just incredible, that's what makes me want to buy the guitar, it sounds just amazing. Through a fender twin it is the cleanest of clean and even when you play single notes (hi gain pickups) it's just as loud as a chord. Amazing Amazing Amazing, there is a reason Peter Buck, Mike Campbell, and all of the beatles play them.