recording help please...

hey everybody --

i'm a musician who has been in bands for years. due to starting a master's degree, getting married and expecting a baby, i'm not able to play out as much as i used to, so i really want to get into recording. all my life, my recording has all been done in a studio with other people at the helm. i was always reluctant (stupid) to learn my way around the board, so i'm really ignorant about it all.

so, my question is, what is a good way to start to get into recording at home? am i better off to get a stand alone multi-track or use a computer program? i guess to start, i'd be looking at the $1,000.00 - $1,500.00 range. I have all the instruments/amps I want/need (not really, but enough to be happy right now), vocal mics, some condenser mics, headphones etc. i definitely want a decent amount of tracks (12? 24?). any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. thanks a lot!

It depends. If you have a good computer, and/or are computer literate, theres alot of flexibility to be had. Going computer or multitrack are too very different routes. If you don't like working with a computer I can't see you really getting into computer software alot.

I recently wrote a magazine article for my university regarding the advances home studio recording has allowed for many people, like yourself, to undertake professional sounding recording projects of their own. In the end, I found that protools is the answer. Infinite tracks. On top of that you can get amp simulators, etc. to modulate your music with. Get an mbox or mbox 2 and buy ($100 more) the factory bundle and you get a bunch of great add ons, as well as the protools recording software. I think that runs about $550. I have the mbox (1) and it is great. Keep in mind you can only record 2 tracks simultaneously, but I haven't seen that as a huge disadvantage. And for the price...I can't complain. It runs a bit better on a mac, but it can run on a pc also. I have only run it on a mac, but one of my friends runs it on his pc and I haven't heard any complaints.

I used to have a portable 16 track digital recorder and it is no match for what I can do now. I don't know if you already have a computer, but for around $1500 you could but an ibook and get the mbox factory bundle. I think that'd make most would be home musicians happy as a pig in the poo. It has for me.

• 2 weeks later...

I disagree on a technicality. Pro Tools will not make you sound good. Learning aucostics, proper mixing and micing techniques will enable you to get a great sound no matter what software you decide to use. Hands down. It's like getting a Fender Blues Junior vs. some custom, obscure, expensive hand-wired amp. Sure, if your playing is at that level and it's worth the cost, knock yourself up, but somebody like Nels Cline can still work wonders with a basic bread and butter amp.