"Yankee Hotel Foxtrot Engineer's Demos" Analysis?

Team Wilco,

Just today---yes, I can be a slow-poke---I learned about the "Yankee Hotel Foxtrot Engineer's Demos" CD and have read some bits and bobs about this collection here on this board, but no serious break down. What I mean is--how close are the mixes on this collection to the actual album cuts OR even the first batch of YHF demos? Are some songs the same mix as the album or demo? Some only slightly different to negligable? Some drastically different? Is "The Good Part" a studio take? Are "Shakin Sugar" + "Cars Can't Escape" + "Corduroy Cutoff Girl" the same or similar or different to their counterparts "Alone" + "Rhythm" + "Radio Cure" from the YHF Demos or even YHF ("Radio Cure")? I've heard some people say they prefer some of these mixes to the regular album release...so, needless to say, I'd love to hear from the experts!

--The Walrus

PS. Yes, I'd LOVE to score a copy!!!!

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
Guest jmraz13

could you ysi again. for some reason the files arent dowloading as music files for me... instead they're coming up as itune documents

Edited by jmraz13
"Alone" still remains one of my all time favorite pop tunes.

For me "Alone" and "Shakin' Sugar" are great melodic songs, with that exccess of cheery feeling contrasting the lyrics that makes them so fabulous B)

"So fucked I can't believe it" -J. Mascis

My faves of the Engineer Demos (in Order):

1. Not for the Season

2. Corduroy Cutoff Girl

3. Venus Stopped the Train

:dancing :dancing :dancing

I've got a couple versions of "Not for the Season" in the original demos, but my download of the Engineer's Demos didn't include that song. Am I missing something?

thank you so much for posting these again, boots. after they finish downloading i'll give my thoughts.

by the way, sort of off topic, but as a mac user i am unable to post more than one song at a time at ysi. is there something i am doing wrong?

put all the files into a folder, then make a ZIP file.

I also have a Mac and can listen to the WMA files provided in the links above, but can't import them into iTunes as mp3s ... I used a program called Audion successfully before, but it won't work with these files. Anyone with a YSI of the .mp3 files would be appreciated. Thanks!