"Yankee Hotel Foxtrot Engineer's Demos" Analysis?

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If any of you snatched this in FLAC off of Oink, can you re-open a window for it? The one seed disappeared and there are five people sitting at 83.6%.

Thanks!

edit: all done now, and I'll continue seeding for a bit. Thanks to the original seeder!

Do other people's copies of this have skips and pops in a lot of the songs? My copy is particularly bad on "Never Let You Down," which sounds like a CD is getting eaten. Then "Venus Stop the Train" cuts off early.

I downloaded this in FLAC from Oink. Is there a better version out there?

Do other people's copies of this have skips and pops in a lot of the songs? My copy is particularly bad on "Never Let You Down," which sounds like a CD is getting eaten. Then "Venus Stop the Train" cuts off early.

I downloaded this in FLAC from Oink. Is there a better version out there?

The one I have posted (most recent is a few posts up) will probably sound a bit better. The person who I received it from did some clean-up on it ( I don't remember any skips). Venus is still cut but it's the same verson from the org Demos

• 4 weeks later...
Dammit.

Where can I find a good version (in FLAC)?

I'm not terribly sure if it exists. The copy I've got and uploaded was "fixed" by the person I got it from way back in the day, and I'm pretty sure is in MP3 (maybe windows media). I have no idea how to go about changing that into FLAC, but if someone does they should grab my link and do it. As far as I know the other copies out there would have the flaws as well. Hope that helps

I'm not terribly sure if it exists. The copy I've got and uploaded was "fixed" by the person I got it from way back in the day, and I'm pretty sure is in MP3 (maybe windows media). I have no idea how to go about changing that into FLAC, but if someone does they should grab my link and do it. As far as I know the other copies out there would have the flaws as well. Hope that helps

Maybe I'll try to track down the version that I got a couple years ago when these things first surfaced- and check for glitches.

Cool.

I have almost all things Wilco and I just discovered this. I figured the "engineer's demos" were the same as the regular YHF demos. I stand corrected. Someone asked earlier, "who is this engineer?" Was it Jay Bennett or the other dude? I'm not sure this was answered. Can someone please explain the difference betweeen the two YHF demos? Thanks.

I have almost all things Wilco and I just discovered this. I figured the "engineer's demos" were the same as the regular YHF demos. I stand corrected. Someone asked earlier, "who is this engineer?" Was it Jay Bennett or the other dude? I'm not sure this was answered. Can someone please explain the difference betweeen the two YHF demos? Thanks.

Not sure who the actually enginner was but the difference between the Eng and Regular Demos is that there are some different songs on the Eng (ie-corduroy cutoff girl) demos that were not on the regular ones and some of the tunes that are on both have different takes on the Eng. Some of the songs are the same on both.

Thanks Boots...that's pretty much the conclusion I came to. I love this disc though. "Not For the Season (Laminated Cat)," "A Magazine Called Sunset" and "Alone" are great tracks. In a way I'm glad they're not on YHF, even though they deserve to be over a couple songs, maybe "Pot Kettle Black" and "Radio Cure" although I'm beginning to like those tracks (4 years later).

i have these as .wma files, but if anybody has them as .mp3's i'd love for a pm or a link. thanks, sorry to be one of those jerkwads asking for links months later, but since we're still discussing the topic i decided not to be shy :)

Okay, good news and bad news...

First off, yes "Nothing Up My Sleeve" is really skippy and chalk full of glitches and the tape cuts off abruptly on "Venus Stop the Train" (although some copies have it faded out)--so that's a bummer. Now for good news: both of these songs are the same versions found on the "YHF Demos" boot. Sooooo, do a little swingin' between both discs and whoa-la! Problem solved. Well, kinda...

I listened very carefully to my FLAC-sourced copy and Boots's mp3 copy and there's still a couple of very minor glithches remaining. Some sonic pops occur on:

"Cars Can't Escape" at 0:58 and at 1:29

"Pot Kettle Black" at 3:34

*Times are approximate--going off of my CD player.

There might be more--these are just the ones I caught.

Yesssss, I know I'm being picky.

I just wish I was saavy with some program to clean all of this up.