crowther prunes and custard pedal?

I like having the mix at least at 3 o'clock. Most times I have it all the way to the right - like 5 o'clock position. I play with the drive a little bit - at least at 3 o'clock. I was playing with my band last night and on one song was running my jazzmaster through a vox valvetone, a menatone top boost in a can, and the prunes and custard - all on at once. Man, that was sick!

That's really interesting - if I used your settings I dont think I could ever get the nice, subtle effect I hear on your clips. I wonder if it has to do with the output of the pickups - I mainly use humbuckers.

How do you like that TBIAC?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On the clips I'm playing a jazzmaster, so that may be a difference from humbuckers.

The TBIAC is cool. I have to play a lot with the treble and the cut knob, but a can get a cool mid range sound out of it that I like. I use it more with the jazzmaster than when I play tele. With the tele I might use the valvetone or I also have a crowther hot cake for a little drive or dirt. The overdrive sounds on the TBIAC for me seems dependent on how hard you dig in on the strings. I'm always looking for a bit of a dirty sound, but not too distorted - kind of that small amp turned up sound - and I get pretty close with the TBIAC.

• 4 months later...
So, I'm ready to buy one of these puppies. However, I can't find any place that has them in stock. If anyone knows please give me the heads up. Thanks.

I've noticed the Crowther stuff seems to be our of stock everywhere. I'll keep an eye out though.

So, I'm ready to buy one of these puppies. However, I can't find any place that has them in stock. If anyone knows please give me the heads up. Thanks.

I was consistently seeing them on eBay, but no more. Try gbase.com.

I ordered mine directly from Paul Crowther ( croth@clear.net.nz ). I bought mine for $150, a great deal less than the $180 most other places charge. It may be a bit of a secret that you can order from him, so don't tell anybody!

Edited by Adam2
I ordered mine directly from Paul Crowther ( croth@clear.net.nz ). I bought mine for $150, a great deal less than the $180 most other places charge. It may be a bit of a secret that you can order from him, so don't tell anybody!
So, did you just email him and say, "Hey so I heard you can buy your pedal direct?" That would be awesome if it's that easy! ....I'll keep it on the down low.... ;)
  • 2 months later...
I believe the end of the wonderfully spacious solo on "Hell is Chrome", but I may be wrong on that.

you are correct sir

It also works nicely on ALTWYS, though I'm not at all certian Tweedy every uses it for that song

Mine finally came in the mail last night. Holy crap. Cools sounds for guitar... and then, I plugged in my bass and it was atmoshperic. Used in conjunction with the ebow, I got some very cool and very different sounds. I can't wait to go back through these posts and find some good settings. :cheers

I can't wait to go back through these posts and find some good settings. :cheers

I pic I posted way back when showing Tweedy's setting has been changed, but it's basically Mix at 10:00 and Drive at 2:00, level to taste.

I pic I posted way back when showing Tweedy's setting has been changed, but it's basically Mix at 10:00 and Drive at 2:00, level to taste.
Thanks. I am surprised by how much good old overdrive this thing produces. I thought it would just make the "weird" sounds. I believe it has a built in compressor, as when I record with it I get a really flat, even signal.

Has anyone ever heard the Aimee Mann song "Dear John"? Now, I've never heard a prunes and custard pedal outside of what Tweedy uses it for (I couldnt get the Dustbowlers tracks to work on my mac..) but it seems like the guitar solo on that Mann song has something like a prunes and custard on it. Especially at the end of the solo (much like Hell is Chrome) it gets all funky with the modulation on the distortion. Just a thought...

Has anyone ever heard the Aimee Mann song "Dear John"? Now, I've never heard a prunes and custard pedal outside of what Tweedy uses it for (I couldnt get the Dustbowlers tracks to work on my mac..) but it seems like the guitar solo on that Mann song has something like a prunes and custard on it. Especially at the end of the solo (much like Hell is Chrome) it gets all funky with the modulation on the distortion. Just a thought...

any chance you could post an mp3?