That's good to hear. I'll probably swap my tubes out pretty soon. I've never done it. Is there anything I need to know in order to avoid electrocution, or can I just unplug the amp and get to work?

I turned the amp on (ie off of standyby) and unplugged it - left it like that for 5 minutes. I also used latex gloves, but that was mostly to avoid getting finger oil on the tubes - dont know if that's necessary or not.

i use a handkerchief or other cloth when i handle tubes. you CAN use bare hands, but you want to wipe them off really well. as far as the physical aspect, it's like changing a lightbulb, only without threads. super easy.

anybody have any opinions on a Fender RocPro 1000?

they sound AWESOME at low volume, but the solid state power section breaks up weirdly and sounds harsh at high volumes. it's an overpriced practice amp if you wanted it for a band situation. i almost bought one once, but once i took it to the "loud room", it was weak.

• 6 months later...

Save your money and buy the Epiphone Valve Junior. At $99 it sounds freakin' killer and you'll have enough left over to buy a few nifty boutique stomp boxes to put in front of it. This amp is unreal for the money. You can also mod it fairly easy.

That or get the Traynor YCV40. It is powerful but it sounds really good at low volumes. The overdrive is more like a clean boost, perfect for cutting through and it gets a great classic tube tone.

Save your money and buy the Epiphone Valve Junior. At $99 it sounds freakin' killer and you'll have enough left over to buy a few nifty boutique stomp boxes to put in front of it. This amp is unreal for the money. You can also mod it fairly easy.

That or get the Traynor YCV40. It is powerful but it sounds really good at low volumes. The overdrive is more like a clean boost, perfect for cutting through and it gets a great classic tube tone.

I've seen one guy's rig which is two Valve Jr heads and matching Epi Tiggerman Cabinets in stereo. 5 watts isn't much in a 1x8 combo, but two of them pushing two 4x12 cabs moves a lot of air! Oh yeah, total cost for the amps and cabs was

That said, I'm happy with the Traynor and and it's a lot less crap to move around

I love my YCV40 so I know what you mean :). I actually haven't had much time to break in my Valve Junior but I plan to get rowdy with it this coming weekend

Speaking of pushing air, has anyone seen or actually played the ZVex Nano. At .5W, yep it's whopping 1/2 watt, this little amp kicks serious ass. I saw a demo video of a guy running one through a 4x12 cab. It was freakin' loud and had god like tone.

This little guy here.

Nanoinhand_sm.jpg

• 3 years later...

I have an Epiphone Valve Junior Combo. One 8" speaker, one volume knob, no more, no less. And it's the sweetest 5W I've ever played with, for a practice amp, that is.

I tried one of those at my local guitar shop. Plugged a Tele into it, LOVED it!

But my amp is this one:

633930562089155762.jpg

Peavy Delta Blues 115.

It's 30 watts and a single 15" speaker. Plenty loud (that 15" cone can push a lot of air), with a really punchy low end response. I scoop out the EQ on it and it sounds so, so sweet.

I have an Epiphone Valve Junior Combo. One 8" speaker, one volume knob, no more, no less. And it's the sweetest 5W I've ever played with, for a practice amp, that is.

I have the head and cabinet version of the Valve Junior. 10" speaker. It really comes alive with an echo pedal. It's currently being used as an amp for a Rhodes piano, and serves that role extremely well.

STACK+EPIPHONE+VALVE+JUNIOR.JPG