Beginner here...

Only been playing about 2 months now. I'm having a hard time getting the strumming pattern down on a couple of songs...Airline to Heaven and When You Wake Up Feeling Old. I've picked these songs to try and learn because they seem easy enough regarding chord patterns, etc. The strumming is getting me though. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Also if anyone wants to throw out a couple other song suggestions to get started on, it'd be great! Thanks again.

hmmm, not as easy as they sound.

the both have simple chords, but to play them like jeff, there's a bit hammering and pulling to do.

with airline to heaven, the chords are simple.. the mail riff involves holding down the D chord while hammering on the 2bd and 4th fret of the D string..

When you wake up feeling old sounds much better when you strike the high E string on every accent.. does this make sense??..

if you look up these song titles in this forum, there should be a topic explaining how to play them... good luck :cheers

via chicago is piss easy - just D A and G over and over

there are subtleties which one shouldn't over look. The move from D to A is sick. A little hammer off here and there and what not. I can't tab if you don't know what I'm talking about but the idea is to suggest a Dmaj7 before (while?) getting to A

yeah, i've noticed the little things. but playing the 3 chords over and over would be ok for a beginner

Of course.

She's a Jar (G Bmin C mostly)

ALTWYS (Amin G mostly)

Awesome, I appreciate the help guys. This may be because I'm new..but can somebody give me some help as far as the strumming patterns on some of these. I've tried listening to pick it up, but I guess my ear is just not trained to do it yet.

I guess I'm looking for something like "D D dudu" or whatever to illustrate. Do I even make sense?

Awesome, I appreciate the help guys. This may be because I'm new..but can somebody give me some help as far as the strumming patterns on some of these. I've tried listening to pick it up, but I guess my ear is just not trained to do it yet.

I guess I'm looking for something like "D D dudu" or whatever to illustrate. Do I even make sense?

I found when I first started out trying to play, that playing along with the song really helps out. Even if it is a bit awkward initially, you'll start to improve, and your ear training will get much better. It will help you with strumming as well as tuning and pitch. I hope that helps!

I've been trying to figure out the pattern to Airline to Heaven for the longest time...it keeps eluding me. I even downloaded software that would allow me to slow tracks down and I still can't pick it up.

IATTBYH and Via Chicago are two others I would like to play as well.

I've been trying to figure out the pattern to Airline to Heaven for the longest time...it keeps eluding me. I even downloaded software that would allow me to slow tracks down and I still can't pick it up.

IATTBYH and Via Chicago are two others I would like to play as well.

Airline is a bit tricky for a beginner. See Froggies post above. You strum, but you also have a base line that Jeff plays that you have to hit with your middle finger and pinky.

I agree. I wouldn't try playing Airline too soon. But, if you are determinded to play it, just play the chords for now minus the bassline. Once you get the timing, then try adding the bassline. I also agree to playing along to recordings of whatever song you are learning, it helps as I still do it occasionally. If you need recordings of any song, don't be afraid to ask.

Airline is a bit tricky for a beginner. See Froggies post above. You strum, but you also have a base line that Jeff plays that you have to hit with your middle finger and pinky.

I'm going to agree with the others that Airline is too hard.. put that one off until later.

One thing that helps with basic strumming patterns is to keep your hand going in 8th note rhythm up and down, but only contacting the strings on certain beats. That helps you keep the rhythm. So if you think of 1 and 2 and... etc.. as:

1---a---2---a---3---a---4---a

then your hand is moving down (d) or up (u) like so

d---u---d---u---d---u---d---u

A real basic strum pattern for Via Chicago would be like this

X--------X---X----------------X

Where the X's represent where you actually make a strum, repeat for each chord

you can add some notes too, like

X--------X---X-------X---X---X

When that becomes easy and fluid (ie you dont have to actively think about your strum pattern) then think about some of the hammer-ons to make it sound prettier.

In the end it comes down to listening to the song a lot, and when playing always play along with the songs.

I would suggest "California Stars" if you're looking for an easy song to play.

California Stars the "right" way (with capo 2 and the hammer ons) isn't that easy at all unless you're able to strech your left hand a good bit...

Edited by jhc
A real basic strum pattern for Via Chicago would be like this

X--------X---X----------------X

Where the X's represent where you actually make a strum, repeat for each chord

you can add some notes too, like

X--------X---X-------X---X---X

When that becomes easy and fluid (ie you dont have to actively think about your strum pattern) then think about some of the hammer-ons to make it sound prettier.

Awesome! This is exactly what I was looking for. I really appreciate the input from everyone. I'll start working on this tonight.

I've been trying to get Airline as well for the longest time...do you play it capo 2? and then alternate D and G with the occasional A during the chorus? it doesn't sound quite like what tweedy plays during his solo shows to me...on the gumbopages it says it might be open D tuning, but when I've done that I can't get the bass line to work or sound right...any other suggestions? thanks!

Awesome! This is exactly what I was looking for. I really appreciate the input from everyone. I'll start working on this tonight.
What's the "right" way?

The way Tweedy actually plays it ;)

If you listen to the album version, you can tell it's more than just strummed chords. I dont have a guitar handy, so I dont think I could tab it out right now, but I can do that in the future if there's a desire for it.

The way Tweedy actually plays it ;)

If you listen to the album version, you can tell it's more than just strummed chords. I dont have a guitar handy, so I dont think I could tab it out right now, but I can do that in the future if there's a desire for it.

Always a desire.