Synths on War on War

Do any of you keyboard folks know what type of effect(s) are used on the synths on this song? Some combination of pitchshifting and filtering?

live they probably were using a Nord Lead or Nord Lead 2. I haven't seen them using a Nord Lead 2x yet. In the performance on letterman of War on War O'Rourke is playing a micro modular for the exact sounds on the album. So, not really Wilco but very very close.

On the Wilco movie site there was once a clip of Glenn asking Jay what synth that was. I believe Jay said Nord (though he might have said Korg, I wasn't paying lot of attention as I wasn't into synths at the time) but that still doesn't answer whether he meant the Lead or Micro Modular (I would guess Lead since I don't think they had the Micro Modular on the early parts of the YHF tour -- though they did by the time Mikal joined them).

To answer jhc's question, though, it sounds like Jay is messing with the filter cutoff frequency.

To answer jhc's question, though, it sounds like Jay is messing with the filter cutoff frequency.

Thanks man. You think one could get somethng sort-of-cose with a wah pedal?

Thanks man. You think one could get somethng sort-of-cose with a wah pedal?

Yeah, a wah pedal is basically a band-pass filter (heel down = low frequencies pass and high frequencies cut, toe down = vicey versa). You'd need a pretty harmonically complex sound for some of the noisier elements in the song but it's the same concept.

• 3 weeks later...

do you mean the parts near the end of the song? those noise are pretty cool. This sounds crazy, but over the part where the drums are like: boom boom chaka cha boom boom chaka cha? Sort of the byaazoont sort of sounds in the background? I am assuming that is what you you meant.

do you mean the parts near the end of the song? those noise are pretty cool. This sounds crazy, but over the part where the drums are like: boom boom chaka cha boom boom chaka cha? Sort of the byaazoont sort of sounds in the background? I am assuming that is what you you meant.

Yep, those parts, and also at the very beginning before the piano riff comes in.

For the record, Ebow + wah + Prunes and Custard does these sounds pretty well.