Taylor Guitars any owners recommendations?

Hey I've been playing guitar for a while now and don't have a really beautiful instrument but I have been going shopping and I really like the sound of taylor guitars, anyone have any suggestions or have any experience with them. I am trying to spend a diecent amount and get an instrument that will hold its value and that I can keep and play for life

Thanks

I know it's not much compared to the other Taylors but I own a 110. It's probably the only guitar I'll wind up holding on to. For a higher price range try one of thoses small bodied 310 cutaways, now there's a beautiful sounding guitar!

Now this only my opinion, but it seems that the price of Taylors (at least where I live) seems to be a bit more than a comparable guitar from Martin or Gibson. Just my two cents. I do however own a Taylor Baby, but have it strung with nylon strings, which more or less works.

I have my Taylor Big Baby on me right now. It's awesome.

I also own a Big Baby. It's easy on the fingers and a pleasure to play.

I also own a 314-ce that was one of their limited editions a couple years ago...It's made of maple, so basically it's a 614 without the pretty inlays, etc.

It is a dream to play, and although pricey, was significantly less than an actual 614, but basically the same guitar.

Taylor's do have a distinctive tone, which I was attracted to.

Happy hunting!

I've played a few Taylors, one was a Big Baby I think and, I was not too impressed. I'm not sure if my friend humidifies his guitars but the frets were sticking off the neck a wee bit just enough to scrape my hands. I'd say if you are looking to buy an expensive Taylor, go for a middle class Martin. I'm pretty partial to Martins though.

Guest Speed Racer

I just sold a Taylor 314, but mostly because I was sitting under my bed. I recently got a 1967 Epiphone Cortez, and I wasn't really playing the Taylor anymore; I figured someone who played it ought to have it. That, and the girl who runs the acoustics at the local music shop is a total babe. Any trip to visit her is worth making...

So, I totally love Taylors, and sold mine out of respect for the instrument; nice guitars deserve play time.

well thanks do any of you all do ebay on guitars? I mean I keep seeing some really nice deals but the fact that I can't hold it in my hand turns me away

I ebay all kinds of guitar crap, but I don't think I would buy a high-end acoustic that way

I used to manage a music store where we were an authorized Taylor dealer (among many other brands) and I can say, without a doubt, that Taylor makes the finest PRODUCTION model acoustic guitar in the world. Note I said PRODUCTION. There are tons of small luthiers who do wold class work, but as far as consistency and overall quality for the price, nothing beats a Taylor. There are some things to consider, though... some of their models (particularly in the 500 and 800 series models) tend to be brighter than your average guitar- sometimes that's good, sometimes it's bad. I personally want a more balanced sound. Also, like any acoustic guitar, they sound way better when they're PLAYED often- especially if it has a really pretty maple top (or back, sides). They warm up beautifully over time. Having access to any model I wanted at a generous discount, I got a 410. I like the traditional dreadnaught style and I liked the tone of the satin-finished back. I don't like cutaways on my acoustics and I install and switch pickups often, so I wasn't worried about electronics. That's just me. But I will say, a Martin is not a Gibson, is not a Guild, is not a Larivee, is not a Froggy Bottom, is not a Taylor, etc. They are all different, but if you are willing to spend the money and are looking for a great value (though it may not seem like it at the time) I know I'd rather be drivine a Taylor. I own a bunch of acoustics- old and new. I play my simple basic Taylor 410 more than any of 'em and have for 5 years. Its also worth noting that when we got a new shipment from Taylor (the factory is in CA, the store I worked at is in MD) it was a running joke that everytime we'd open the box and take the guitar out of the case, the guitar was almost always still in tune!! They hold their value and only sound better with age. P.S. Skip the 1s, 2s and 3s and go for at least a 400 series. Well worth the price in materials, workmanship and finish work.

thanks for all the info guys, i thought i'd hijack this thread a bit and see what people here know about nylon stringed 3/4 sized guitars. how much can you get decent one for? are there any brands i should look out for? it seems like i could possibly put nylon strings on a big baby, but what are my other options?

thanks.