Meridian, MS 3/15/06

My minds not very clear right now, but here is what I remember of the setlist in no specific order, great show, Pat Sansone came out for encore and spilled out his heart about how much it meant for him to be playing at the Temple Theatre and for his dad to be such a big part of hit, and being able to play with such great guys as Wilco, very nice, you could tell he was very sincere. There was a taper there BTW/

Hell is Chrome

Hummingbird

Handshake Drugs

I Am Trying To Break Your Heart

I'm The Man Who Loves You

Walken

Spiders

War on War

Passenger Side

Kingpin (for encore)

new song at end

Muzzle of Bees

Hoodo Voodoo

I'm A Wheel

Oh...and Theologins and I believe thats What You Said and Jesus ect. I think.

More tomorrow when I can think a little more clearly, good show nice vibe. I stood up for most of the show, had a couple people bitch about me standing, but I told them I came to have a good time and that they should stand up if they really wanted to see. I held my ground though. The front part of the crowd was standing the entire show though, eventually I went down to join them and boogied for the last part of the show.

Much thanks to Tony Sansone for making this happen

Edited by truetolife
My minds not very clear right now, but here is what I remember of the setlist in no specific order, great show, Pat Sansone came out for encore and spilled out his heart about how much it meant for him to be playing at the Temple Theatre and for his dad to be such a big part of hit, and being able to play with such great guys as Wilco, very nice, you could tell he was very sincere. There was a taper there BTW/

Pat Sansone is one of the nicest men I have ever met.

Yeah, I got to get a boot of this, he talked for atleast five minutes probably, but it was straight from the heart and you could tell this was a very special night for him, that itself was probably one of the highlights of the night.

Pat Sansone is one of the nicest men I have ever met.

:yes agreed. a very nice man.

Sansone worried about sounding corny, but he need not have. Great stories about growing up in the building. He said when he was about 7 years old, he was running around on the stage, pointed to the back corner and said that's where he ran into Ray Charles, who said something about who's that down there. He pointed to the corner of the stage that he normally occupies with Wilco and said where he was playing guitar tonight was the same place he'd first played an electric guitar. Helen Reddy's guitarist let him play for about 30 minutes, and even though he only knew one song (Twist and Shout, I believe), he played it for 30 minutes. During the second encore, standing in the same spot, he went full-on Pete Townsend windmill. Great stuff.

That was a really great show. I haven't seen Wilco (or too much other live music, unfortunately) much since the late 1990's, though I have followed them and collected several recordings. I was as impressed by the band's modesty and lack of pretension as I was by their professionalism. Despite all the growing popularity and raving fandom over the years, they've managed to stay true. There was definitely a family atmosphere at the show, with Shriners manning the ushering duties in the beautiful theater, and friends and family of the Sansones happily mixing with die-hard fans.

And Nels Cline is a ninja. :ninja

Funny moment, speaking of. After a blistering Cline solo, Tweedy said "I think I gained a couple of IQ points listening to that."

There was a Heavy Metal Drummer too to add to the setlist.

Also, my buddy recorded stealth DFC from under the balcony, so if Drew's (the taper set up left of stage center on the floor) recording doesn't turn out well or circulate widely and if ours sounds good, we'll seed a torrent and I'll post the link here. I haven't heard the recording yet, but the show sounded great from our position and we were able to get the people sitting nearby to cooperate with regard to excessive noise, so I think it should sound good. Hopefully someone can post a comprehensive setlist to go with the notes in the meantime.

Edited by Mac

Great show . .. . great set list. At Least That's What you Said wasn't played, though. But they did play Walken, Is That the Thanks I Get, and another new song (it had a line something like "maybe the sun will shine today"). Never heard a full band Is That the Thanks I Get, so that was cool, plus a great, uplifting ("We can make it better . . . ") song to close with. The other new song was pretty slow, and after it Jeff joked about how rockin' it was.

His quips about how he got smarter listening to Nels' amazing solo after "Ashes" were great. Jeff seriously screwed up the beginning of one of his Theologians solos, and the look on his face that he shot at Nels was priceless. Sort of a grin/embarassment . . . funny.

But, as mentioned, the best point of the night was when Pat came out during the encore and talked about how much it meant to him. Complete sincerity . . . . it was a great moment. And after that, he totally showed off the rest of the night . . . threw some great fills in during Hoodoo Voodoo, plus the windmills.

My favorite performance of them I've seen so far.

I'm dying to get a recording, if only so I can give it to the people who went with me as a memento for their first Wilco concert.

how do you pronounce sansone?

sann-sohn is how i have always said it. then again, people pronounce my name a million ways, so who knows?

Guest Flawed Paragon

I was there and it was indeed an incredible show. This was my first Wilco show and it was easily the best live show I've ever experienced. I'll be seeing them tomorrow night in Ryman, too. I jotted down a setlist of songs that I knew, so here it is.

Main set:

Hell is Chrome

Handshake Drugs

Hummingbird

I am Trying to Break Your Heart

(song I don't know)

Muzzle of Bees

Spiders (Kidsmoke)

Airline to Heaven

(song I don't know)

Jesus, Etc.

Ashes of American Flags

Theologians

Heavy Metal Drummer

Late Greats

I'm the Man Who Loves You

Shot in the Arm

E1:

War on War

Kingpin

(another song I didn't recognize)

E2:

I'm A Wheel

Passenger Side

(new song I didn't recognize)

Amazing show. I feel just about everything has been said. I'll just add:

The Temple Theatre sounded and looked absolutely amazing. As much as I like the video/image back drop on last tour, the classic lighting at the temple was fantastic. The crown was absolutely great. Lot of older people out to support the big night in Meridian. As soon as the Band took the stage, every single person on the floor got right on out of their very comfortable theatre seat....I was worried about how I was going to negotiate the "down in front" calls!

The Energy and love from the band when they came out after Pat's ode to his dad was amazing.

The band was tighter than a vice grip!

From Tweedys banter and the bands overall presence, I have a feeling they enjoyed the Mississippi Hospitality.

It was really classy that the Mayor of Meridian introduced the band. He was so excited and enthusiastic with his introduction going on about having the best band in America playing in Meridian and what this meant to the city, how special it was to have Meridian's very own Pat Sansone in the band and back home playing in front of a sell out crowd at the Temple.

Now I don't want you Chicago folks getting all riled up about this, and I would like to think that this was a nice sign of a mississippian sharp wit, but the Mayor ended his intro with:

Everyone please give a nice warm welcome to Meridian's Wilco! I thought that was great!

Guest freakowarez
From Tweedys banter and the bands overall presence, I have a feeling they enjoyed the Mississippi Hospitality.

I was the guy that shouted "Jeff Tweedy, you rock!" to which he replied sarcastically "Yeah, that song really rocked...but thank you, sir." Haha...I was a giddy little bitch after that.

Then later on, some guy was screaming "I love you, (something)!" and nobody could understand. Tweedy was like "I love you, who?" and I screamed "PAUL!" to which Tweedy replied "Thank you...*shrugs*...Phillip."

This concert was a great experience for me...I've been a Wilco fan (even more-so of Jeff Tweedy) for a LONG time, and I was very happy that they finally made it to my home state.

John

Edited by freakowarez
Guest freakowarez

P.S. If anyone recorded the show, it would mean a lot to me to have a record of this.

EDIT: WOW! That was quick! Headed home now!

Edited by freakowarez

Alright it's time for a beg/grovel, for the past couple of weeks I have been trying to donwload a torrent program for my computer, I have tried just about everyone, but I can't get anything to run without getting a "Invalid Menu Handle" message. I've tried everything from restarting the PC, closing Firewalls, opening ports, un-installing and then reinstalling the Torrent client, clearing my cache, etc, but still I have problems. Anyway, I would really appreciate it if someone would do an old B&P of this for me, and I will send whoever does this some extra stuff I have as well. THis was my first Wilco show in My hometown, and I would REALLY appreciate this, more than you.

Thanks in advance,

John

Guest freakowarez
Alright it's time for a beg/grovel, for the past couple of weeks I have been trying to donwload a torrent program for my computer, I have tried just about everyone, but I can't get anything to run without getting a "Invalid Menu Handle" message. I've tried everything from restarting the PC, closing Firewalls, opening ports, un-installing and then reinstalling the Torrent client, clearing my cache, etc, but still I have problems. Anyway, I would really appreciate it if someone would do an old B&P of this for me, and I will send whoever does this some extra stuff I have as well. THis was my first Wilco show in My hometown, and I would REALLY appreciate this, more than you.

Thanks in advance,

John

They can be a pain in the arse sometime. Try using Azureus and just follow the directions it gives for installation and setup. If you have any other questions, I can try to help, but I can't promise I'll know the answer.

If not, I would be happy to mail you a copy if everything downloads ok (it's going now). This show was equally as important for me.

Edited by freakowarez

For as band that tours as relentlessly as Wilco, this sounds as if it was a very special show. I've been on tours (as a roadie) that lasted all summer long and believe me when I say that the ones that stick out are always the ones with a personal element such as Pat's homecoming. It really is an amazing story with him having grown up in town, bumping into Ray Charles, his dad the super promoter, the feel-good small-town vibe, the mayor's intro. Really folks, consider yourselves very fortunate for having witnessed that one. Signed, envious in VA

Guest panicfan405
For as band that tours as relentlessly as Wilco, this sounds as if it was a very special show. I've been on tours (as a roadie) that lasted all summer long and believe me when I say that the ones that stick out are always the ones with a personal element such as Pat's homecoming. It really is an amazing story with him having grown up in town, bumping into Ray Charles, his dad the super promoter, the feel-good small-town vibe, the mayor's intro. Really folks, consider yourselves very fortunate for having witnessed that one. Signed, envious in VA

Hey man Well said,

I am from Meridian and to this town having wilco was a huge deal. Yeah I have listed to their music and i saw their bonnaroo set a couple years back, but i am a big panic fan and i had no idea what the hell i was in store for. I had pit tickets and was on second row centered on jeff and the energy up where i was sitting was unreal i turn around several times and see that alot of the crowd is sitting but for the first 15 rows everyone is own their feet and having a great time the show was very emotional for pat and tony after tony came on stage and was walking off he could be seen saying "Thats my Boy!" "Thats my Boy!" I personally know tony and hes a great guy who has done alot for this whole in the wall town. I took some great Photos here they are for your enjoyment the first ones arent so great but as you get closer to the end of the album the photos are great!

Wilco Photos 3-15-2006 Meridian Mississippi

Guest freakowarez
Now I don't want you Chicago folks getting all riled up about this, and I would like to think that this was a nice sign of a mississippian sharp wit, but the Mayor ended his intro with:

Everyone please give a nice warm welcome to Meridian's Wilco! I thought that was great!

Just to set the record straight he said "Everyone please welcome the greatest group in the country to Meridian, MS....Wilco!"

I checked on the recording, which by the way ROCKS! Thanks to everyone who took part in recording and seeding the show!

John