Rhett Miller 04/05/06 in Atlanta

The drive down was pretty decent. Atlanta traffic wasn't bad at all, probably because it was the middle of the week. I was really anxious because we ended up running late getting on the road (we always do), but Dad and Becca were really relaxed.

When we got there there was probably about 15 people there, and slowly more started to come. I'm guessing by the time the opener came on there were probably 80 people there, by the time Rhett came on I think there was probably 150 or so, not packed, but a good crowd for a Wensday I guess.

Here's a scan of the setlist I got (I'm collecting them now...heh)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v112/fou...tlist050406.jpg

The only thing that's wrong with it is that in place of "Timebomb" he played "Doreen" for me.

I was really impressed with the way the songs translated live from "the Believer".

The show was really great, and the Believers are a tight little band. The bass part for "4 Leaf Clover" is really swinging and great. I like the 97's version better. The new material was fabulous, and I heard everything I wanted to hear with the exception of "Fireflies". The closed with "Our Love" and it was fun!

"19" was great to hear live, as was "Buick City Complex".

We got to go backstage after the show, because the tour manager recognized me and said that Rhett wanted me to come down, and I did with Dad and Becca in tow (as well as 2 girls who were standing beside me during the show...i was too chicken to say that they couldn't...)

Becca had a really good time! Rhett asked her if she liked having me for a sister, and she said sometimes. Rhett laughed at that. Dad had a good time too, although he was really tired (he worked outside all day yesterday). He just kinda hung out, but that's what he does.

When we went backstage I told dad that I was going to fall on the steps because they were so steep and I was clutching the wall, and Rhett heard what I said and he was like "Be careful Sarah!! If you fall I'll catch you!" it was really funny. I think in the course of the 15-20 minutes we were down there he probably gave me 7-10 hugs(he kept calling me "honey" and "sweetie" too, dad thought it was funny for some reason)... it was nice to see him again. I talked to Angela(the really amazing drummer) for a while and she was really cool.

One of the girls that snuck back got Rhett to talk on her friends voice mail and the bass player (what's his name?) was making fun of Rhett for doing it. The Believers seem to be more tight as a group than the Instigators were I thing, they were having so much fun on stage!

I was sitting on the couch while Rhett signed stuff for the sneaky girls, and he looked at me and mouthed "I'm sorry" about not being able to talk about things more candidly because of them. Next time though. Rhett wanted to go change his shirt, and as we were going up the stairs he started singing part of "Our Love" in a silly voice and I couldn't help but laugh.

I'm going to get my pictures developed this afternoon, so hopefully I can have them up online tomorrow.

Yay! Glad it turned out to be so great!

And now after seeing the setlist I'm excited to see him myself. I hope he plays 19, that song so accurately describes my first love it feels like I wrote it myself.

Wow awesome story! Its great to get to know an artist better like you know Rhett. I have had the pleasure of getting to know Guster. I have talked with them all for hours probably. Not only that I got to play Ryan Miller in racquettball!

Edited by remphish1
:lol Lou! :rolleyes

here's a picture from the show (i didn't take this, somebody who went did)

124079052_10a864aba8.jpg?v=0

Well the shirt is nothing special, but those boots are pretty hot, not to mention the "savage" amps....OMG...hot hot hot. :lol :pirate

LouieB

Fantastic pictures, Sarah!!! I'm so happy you had fun!

Rhett got a rousing endorsement from the critic doing a singer-songwriter segment on CBS Sunday Morning this morning. It also featurued Jenny Lewis, Mason Jennings, and Beth Orton. It was a nice piece. Synopsis.

Wonderful artists

Can't Hear It On The Radio

Would've All Been Mega-Stars In The 70s

yeah, i missed that! i wanted to see that, but woke up too late.

with all the great press the believer is getting i'm suprised more people aren't going to the shows. there was only about 100-130 people there Wendsday.

Well the shirt is nothing special, but those boots are pretty hot, not to mention the "savage" amps....OMG...hot hot hot. :lol :pirate

LouieB

:rotfl :rotfl

btw lou, great to catch a glimpse of you on friday night! :wave

He's doing an in-store in Louisville on Saturday. I'm pretty sure I won't be able to make it.

he's also playing a show at Headliner's that night. I seriously considered going but it's almost as long of a drive to KY as it is to Memphis

oh, yeah, didn't think about that... oh well, it'd be cool if you could go, he's got a lot of energy and it's always a lot of fun.

i'm excited to hear the june dates announced. i've heard a rumor of a knoxville date... :shifty

I saw these guys (and lady drummer) a few nights ago in Boston. It was a good show. I enjoyed the rare Old97's songs in the rotation. The problem - as much as i enjoy an Old 97's show (or even a Rhett solo) the Believers are a weak substitute. The venue was packed with 20-something Boston college girls to watch Rhett shake his ass - and he did that like always. My recording came out pretty good - i will post it on dimeadozen hopefully in the next week. I really enjoyed the opening act - Jennifer Glass - a very sexy singer songwriter. I had a good time, but I ate my tickets to NYC. Two nights in a row of Believers - I don't think so. Multiple nights of Old 97's - never a problem.