Jeff Tweedy at the Hotel S 'n' S -- 4/8/06

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now having heard "The Long Cut" live, I can retire gracefully from the concert circuit...or not.

Thanks to everyone who made this weekend possible. Just when I think I know what to expect, it keeps getting better. The new faces: You are a glowing addition to the festivities. The old faces: I've long stopped trying to imagine life without you. And Jeff and Susan, for their bountiful generosity.

I can't do justice to the highlights, but that won't stop me from listing a few: learning the connection between "The Ruling Class" and the King of Hill TV series; finding out who the true guitar virtuoso in the family is; hearing/watching good friends KILLING IT on "Fatal Wound" and "Kamera"'; once again regaling the crowd with our "strong" rendition of "I Got You" (after hours); not getting arrested, in general.

Heck, I'd even trade in the Bay Area's gray skies for a little bit of Chicago bluster right now.

group2.jpg

jeffanddave.jpg

jeffandmart.jpg

Jeff's new glasses rule.

strongly seconded. :wub

Guest baseball bobblehead

sure looks like a lotta fun. Congrats all. How much money was raised in the end, between the three groups, does anyone know? Also, was this in a different living room than the one last year? Where's that gigantic awesome dog? (not that the cat hanging out in the front rowwasn't cool--she must have been waiting in line ALL DAY! )

yay charities! i'm saving up for next year already.

83080614.jpg

Even as I was watching that one being taken, I knew it was probably going to be my favorite of the whole weekend.

I'll have more pictures to add one of these moments, and I'm pretty sure some of them include Amelia (aka, "that gigantic awesome dog").

oh my god what an amazing weekend. Great friends, great music, great food... and a glorious sunday in Chicago to top it all off. I said to Kristina and Laura that I'd be talking about this weekend at my wake.

Thanks Jeff & Susan for being so incredibly generous... thanks Sooz & Sam for everything associated with making this happen and for allowing a boatload of psychopaths into your lovely home... thanks Paul for making everything go smooothly... thanks Chandler for busting your ass to put together a fantastic sound system for both nights... thanks Healthy White Baby, Adam Fitz & Devin fucking Davis for making Friday so much fun... thanks Dan the Herbalist for knocking some of my friends out for the count... thanks Kris and Jeff for yelling "HEY JIM" enough for me to feel like I was actually at Wrigley Field... thanks Dave Mirabella for letting me borrow your epiphone... thanks Kristina for putting up with Patti and I all weekend (and for another fun ride to the airport! you're one of the most kickass drivers I know)... and thanks everybody else for making it so unforgettable and so much fun. I miss you guys already.

Jeff asked me if I wanted to use his other guitar on "kamera"... the question didn't even make it to my brain's processing area until yesterday afternoon. *shudder*

sure looks like a lotta fun. Congrats all. How much money was raised in the end, between the three groups, does anyone know? Also, was this in a different living room than the one last year? Where's that gigantic awesome dog? (not that the cat hanging out in the front rowwasn't cool--she must have been waiting in line ALL DAY! )

yay charities! i'm saving up for next year already.

Each group put up $12K. My cashier's check was slightly more, but I was so happy I didn't quibble even though Heather offered to pay it back. So, $36,450 total. Not bad.

Each group put up $12K. My cashier's check was slightly more, but I was so happy I didn't quibble even though Heather offered to pay it back. So, $36,450 total. Not bad.

I think the total between the three was actually a bit more than that. Regardless, it's such an impressive amount.

Here's a picture with Amelia! It's from Friday night, though.

c0649cd2.jpg

I think the total between the three was actually a bit more than that. Regardless, it's such an impressive amount.

Well that's even more awesomer! :cheers

And yet another thanks to Jeff and Sue for putting their proverbial money where their mouths are.

Just curious, who is the guy with his face blurred in all the shots?

Upon further reflection, maybe that is why his face is blurred

I hate when I confuse myself :un sure

I believe that is stardog -- and he looked just like that on Friday.

What a fun night, way too short of a visit (yes, even though the live music lasted until 4 IN THE MORNING!!!!). Thanks Sooz and Sam for hosting, to Chandler for the audio know-how, to Martin and Dave for sharing your music with us, and of course to Jeff and Susan for making this special reunion-of-sorts possible. It was so so so great to see everyone again. As my husband said yesterday, "that is one amazing group of people that has become close friends." I couldnt agree more. Funny to think that the common denominator is Wilco/this message board. Love to you all.

:wub

:beer

I'm still in awe of this evening. I had never met Jeff before, so this was momentous for me.

I cannot thank enough Sooz and Sam for hosting this event, Mart, Dave, and Chandler for the rousing pre- and post-show entertainment (I had NO IDEA! they were so talented!) , and the rest of the crowd for their tasty food offerings and for welcoming us newbies into their group for this year's event. And to Jeff and Sue, the generous gift of your time and talents by making 3 events possible is the true gift to the Letters For Santa program by starting the ball rolling in the first place. Whoever came up with the idea to have 3 shows is brilliant.

Sitting cross-legged on the floor, having dogs and cats and babies mingling about on all fours, and surrounded by laughter and our favorite songs sung by Jeff himself -- pure bliss :blush . I really can't wipe the smile off my face. It became permanent when Jeff played his first song (and my personal #1 favorite) - Someday Some Morning Sometime and later my #2 favorite, Radio King which I was sooooo hoping he would play for you, Beltmann. My cell phone signal was so bad, 0-1 bars I swear, I was pretty sure you wouldn't get it at all, but yay for miracles! :)

My pictures did not come out so great, as my Sony DSC-T1 (although cute and tiny) clearly does not take great low-light pictures. Kris even helped me tweak the settings, but to no avail. So the only pictures that came out were those taken during daylight, or close-up flash people pictures.

And to Ms Yvon - you're such a superb concert buddy. :wub I'm only sorry our visit was so short this time, but certainly look forward to the next one. Hope you had a good flight home. And thanks to Allison for the overnight hospitality and trip to Laurie's Records on Sunday afternoon. See you soon, too, I hope!

And finally, thanks to Bill who kept telling me I didn't look a day older than 32. :lol Thanks, because in fact, I was the oldest person there. B)

You should've had a talk with Susan, Wendy, because apparently she talked with Kande about whether or not SHE was the oldest person there. Kande tried to insist that I'm older (I sure as hell LOOK older than she does), but apparently Susan has seniority on me by a few months.

In terms of random photographs:

Goat Head Decor:

4e9f5e1f.jpg

Dessert:

04be4ef2.jpg

"Actually, I'm standing in front of a bunch of people right now, and they're all looking at me...":

c8505af8.jpg