Basic Digital Studio Equipment?

Hey yall...

So I've got myself an iMac G5 and was wondering what any of you guys use to record. I've already messed around with GarageBand to record guitar/vocals, but I'm definitely looking to upgrade from just using the built-in mike. A friend reccomended the Mbox 2 package, but I don't have 5 bills to drop on just the pre-amp. Does anyone have any suggestions for an intro-level set-up? I've got an acoustic-electric Ibanez and a Squire Strat, no pedals or anything. I can get a mike from a buddy, but not sure which kind. I'm basically hoping to be able to record vocals and guitar at the same time on two different tracks. I'm hoping to get something legit as cheaply as possible, but would spend a little dough to avoid the schwag if it's worth it. Thanks a lot for any help...

grav

Guest Speed Racer

You can get very nice MAudio preamps for about $150; I would suggest poking around musiciansfriend.com. The preamp would be able to go right into your computer and the Mac should have no trouble reading the signal (because Macs are :wub) and it should be fully compatible with Garageband. The MAudio preamp I have has 5 inputs (two 1/4", two XLR, one MIDI), and does multitracking like it was born to do it.

There are a fine array of mics priced at less than $100. I recommend Shure, AKG, and MXL.

You can have a great setup for less than $250, easy. :yes Just poke around musiciansfriend.com

Sweet, thanks Speed Racer. I'll go check out musiciansfriend. I've flipped through their catalog a bit, but didn't really even know where to start. I'm stoked on getting this set up, this mac has been super easy and sweet so far (had been a pc/windows guy up until a couple months ago...) and being able to record sounds more legit will only make it better. Thanks again.