Wilco - Bloomington, IN 4.17.06

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest blackkettle

first Wilco show and i loved it, got to agree with everyone saying that spiders was definitly one of the highlights of the show. I can't wait to check them out again

as for the crowd, it was pretty dull, but all shows at the IU auditorium are, the place is so big and security so tight at keeping everyone in their sections thats its tough to move up. This isnt the first band ive heard complain about the atmosphere at the auditorium too. overall though excellent show

Guest wilc0

Sounded to me like the synth really only kicked in a verse into Always In Love ... at least that's when I started noticing it.

You could tell that the band, Jeff in particular, really loves playing the Ghost Is Born material -- Handshake Drugs in particular, he seemed very fired up to play.

Also, I have not been to a ton of shows, but I thought the arrangement toward the end of Kingpin was a bit different than previous times hearing it.

First show, and I am simply blown away. It was a bit odd at first, with a distinct lack of participation, but definately a sense of respect until the crowd was finally goaded into being extremely active. I REALLY REALLY hope that a recording shows up soon! The sound quality was excellent from the 11th row and the front. Good times all.

Guest Jules
Jeff's hair is awesome.

I am still wishing that they announce a show in Chicago. . .

Or hoping that I get Conan tickets for the night they are playing, all I know is that its has been too long without seeing them play live.

Call me crazy, but I don't think we'll be seeing them in Chicago before Lollapalooza, unless it is very soon (as in, around the same time as the Conan shows). Just a hunch.

Call me crazy, but I don't think we'll be seeing them in Chicago before Lollapalooza, unless it is very soon (as in, around the same time as the Conan shows). Just a hunch.

From what I have gathered Lollapalooza acts aren't allowed to play shows in our around Chicago for two months prior and two months after the festival so chances are no, no Wilco in Chicago until Fall (except for Lolla and Conan of course).

From what I have gathered Lollapalooza acts aren't allowed to play shows in our around Chicago for two months prior and two months after the festival so chances are no, no Wilco in Chicago until Fall (except for Lolla and Conan of course).

Correct you are. Most performance contracts have a 60 days/60 miles or 100 days/100 miles clause in them.

I noticed during hummingbird Jeff had no guitar? I can't ever remember him doing the "front man" thing?

I have never seen him sing without a guitar strapped on? Of course he pulled it off great! The little run in place thing he does. What is the deal with Pat and his antics on stage? The kind of gay run way model/little drummer boy dance? Not puttin him down just noticed he seems to coming WAY out of his shell? Did anyone else notice Nels @ the end of shot in the arm during one of his signature trances he knocked almost all of his guitars off of the rack and onto the floor? This Band is on FIRE :rock :rock :worship

Theres always Summerfest.

great show, imo. I'll post a further review wehn i have more time, but i wanted to pose the question of tapers one more time: i didn't see any rigs set up from where i was sitting (9th row right in front of nels), but did anybody see any tapers? I hope so because all i've wanted to do for the past three days is hear this show.

I noticed during hummingbird Jeff had no guitar? I can't ever remember him doing the "front man" thing?

I have never seen him sing without a guitar strapped on? Of course he pulled it off great! The little run in place thing he does.

I don't believe he has ever sang Hummingbird live WITH a guitar. Was this your first live Wilco show? He sang sans-guitar for a good deal of the post-midnight Madison Square Garden NYE extravaganza ... check out this rock star in his PJ's singing Judas Priest's "Livin After Midnight." :lol I took this from my seat next to the stage. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOot0oeRIkc

Edit: All Wilco material (not just my little fan-video) on youtube has been reported and removed by ??? So here's a still picture from that same event: :unsure

79990526.jpg

What is the deal with Pat and his antics on stage? The kind of gay run way model/little drummer boy dance? Not puttin him down just noticed he seems to coming WAY out of his shell?

Really? That's not a put down? Kind of sounds like one to me. But now I firmly believe you have never seen Wilco live before. The only thing that has changed in these guys is their hair, which by the way, look fabulous B) . The guys themselves have the same moves as always.

This show was really good, and the show itself was only part of the fun because we were lucky enough to get passes to go backstage (huge thanks to Jeff and Sue for making that happen for us :wub :wub ) and meet with the band after the show. Those band members in attendance were very gracious and talkative and it really meant a lot to us, as we've been fans a long time and rarely get a chance to thank them for "doing what they do" so to speak. Thank you, guys.

Oh, and "Spiders" was cool :blush I like it once again. Almost as much as acoustic "Spiders" :thumbup

Oh, and no, I did not see any tapers around us, but we were very close to the stage. I looked behind us but didn't see any obvious taping rigs.

I have to say, though - the sound in that theater was odd, at least where I was sitting (standing). There was this weird loud echo-like kick-back of Glenn's drums off the ceiling or balcony or something, and it was highly distracting. Glenn said he could not hear it, so that's a good thing. The balcony is so far back from the stage, I have to remember never to buy seats in the balcony if I can help it. We just need to get the band to play at The Bluebird next ;)

Thanks to my road trip buddies, you are the best! :worship Aaron, I'm so sorry you couldn't make this one, but there'll be more in the future, that much is certain. We missed you!

I don't believe he has ever sang Hummingbird live WITH a guitar. Was this your first live Wilco show? He sang sans-guitar for a good deal of the post-midnight Madison Square Garden NYE extravaganza ... check out this rock star in his PJ's singing Judas Priest's "Livin After Midnight." :lol I took this from my seat next to the stage. :D

[Really? That's not a put down? Kind of sounds like one to me. But now I firmly believe you have never seen Wilco live before. The only thing that has changed in these guys is their hair, which by the way, look fabulous B) . The guys themselves have the same moves as always.

What if it was my first Wilco show? I thought the purpose of this forum was to discuss what we saw and heard @ the show. Not deal with Elitist condescending music Nazi Bitches like you! I feel so much better!!!!!

I am happy for you that your world can obviously revolve around something so absolutely insignificant (in the over-all scheme of things) as a fucking rock band! No disrespect meant to the boys, I thought they absolutely rocked ass and wanted to throw in my two cents. I thought some of Pat's antics were amusing clearly he the one on stage laying it down every night, who am I to judge him, I would bet he could give a shit what I think. Was this just an opp. to show everyone your clip from MSG?

Lots of Love

I feel so much better!!!!!

:omg

...i have yet to see how she was being anything but kind comrade. we're all friends here, no need to get defensive. hell, i took my fair share of jabs when i posted my thread on this show...i think it just comes with the territory as the 'relatively new person.' in my experience Wendy is one of the good guys, so to speak, and i find it hard to believe she was trying to show you up in any way.

Was this just an opp. to show everyone your clip from MSG?

...even if it was...i can't pass up an opportunity to see that clip again :rock

:hug

-thomas

Lots of Love

Yeah, I guess I shouldn't have responded to your post. You feel better now? Okay good. Sorry I was so unreasonable in my statements. :ermm

In fact, that MSG show was 1-1/2 years ago and I never showed that clip it to anyone here UNTIL TODAY. So much for my "bragging" about this. I only brought it out to show Jeff being the "lead singer without a guitar" guy you were talking about. I love how he puts his foot up on the stage speaker like a rock star :lol

And to set the record straight, I'm a pretty nice person and my life doesn't revolve around Wilco, although Monday night was really special for me and my friends and we were lucky to get nice treatment from the band. Maybe I should not have shared that? I dunno.

(Thanks Thomas, I appreciate your kind words here. ;) )

No hard feelings, everything's groovy. :thumbup

mchchef1, welcome to the forum. :wave